Hampster Ride - Dirt route the length of New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by FreeTheBeast, May 27, 2014.

1. The Mountain

The Mountain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4 Mile Brook Rd., beyond that one last house or hunting camp, looked like it hadn't been driven on in weeks, and the stretch where we finally gave up was pretty overgrown, and probably hadn't seen wheeled traffic in several months.
    FreeTheBeast likes this.
  2. Green Mtn Rider

Green Mtn Rider Husky Rider

Oddometer:
    Probably going to pass on this ride if that section is not a forest road. The bypass is to much a paved road ride. Starting to question how legal it is to be riding in that area.
    Thanks for the info.
  3. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have many more options in Vermont. There aren't many in New Hampshire with the national forest land and private property.

I have a route that goes into Vermont which could complete the Hampster in the northern sector to the Canadian border. It may need to be the solution if access and roads continue to be restricted in NH.

I hope to explore other NH options this Summer.
  4. Green Mtn Rider

Oddometer:
    I found a good work around for the 4 Mile Brook Rd section. From the gas in Errol go north on Rt 16 to Wilsons Mills and pick up the NEBDR section 8 that ends at Rhubard Pond. Now the question is if the Discovery Point option is ok to ride. I have spent many years riding around the NEK in VT, looking for a new loop to ride.
    Poacher Bob likes this.
  5. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a delay for tires and a delay for my wife’s birthday, I finally made it up here.

What’s with the cross and money offerings at the north end of East Inlet Road? What the heck, I left a dollar and scribbled my name on a rock with the Sharpie laying there.

The roads around here are outstanding. I think I like these E-07+ better than the TKC80. 2ABCD121-4AE1-488A-AD9F-3732DFFFAF68.jpeg 03FD61AE-00FA-41AA-B7D6-A8EDC7AC1613.jpeg
  6. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that cross myself. And, I did the same.
    IMG_3741_LI.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Green Mtn Rider

Oddometer:
    How much of the track did you ride?
  8. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't remember seeing that but I did that road several years ago. Is that new?

KR
  9. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left pavement at East Inlet Road, went up to Boundary Pond and the end of the road and camped in an old quarry a mile or so south of Boundary Pond. Saturday I did a bunch of side roads while I generally rode the BDR to Rangeley. After Rangeley I headed north and explored the tiny roads right along the border (news flash: the maps are all wrong. Lots of removed bridges.) around the north end of Aziscohos Lake, then back to civilization. Killing breakfast in Errol right now.
  10. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turned off pavement onto East Inlet Road Friday afternoon. Hit Hwy 16 at Lincoln Plantation about noon Saturday and zoomed to Rangeley to get more beer, then left pavement again at Lower Cupsuptic on Hwy 16 and headed north. A lot of backtracking due to closed gates, removed bridges, and roads that obviously haven't existed in 20 years but are still on my GPS. Got up to a spectacularly remote valley just shy of the Canadian border, then made my way around Lake Aziscohos , camped again, then headed home. Still more exploring to go north of Parmachenee Lake. I'll be back.

Attached Files:

11. Green Mtn Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you remember why you turned around on East Branch Rd on the Hampster ride track? Would like to do this section down to RT 26 end of July.
  12. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was heading down Magalloway Road on my way to Maine, and took a detour down East Branch Road to see Garfield Falls, and I turned around at the falls. The road looked pretty nice beyond that point, but I wasn't going that way.

I'm definitely going back there. It's only about a 5 hour ride from my house and much more remote than anything in the Green or White Mountains. I want to explore the area north of Parmanechee Lake in ME, and check out a possible connector back to East Inlet Road in NH. It shows up on the maps on my Earthmate app, but riding by you'd never notice it unless you're looking for it. I walked this possible connector a ways in on the East Inlet Road side, and beneath the tall grass it looked and felt like a pretty solid two-track with no obstacles. Had I not been solo I definitely would have pushed the group to ride it. But there's a good chance that once on the Maine side I'd find myself on the wrong side of a locked gate. If I can reach the east end by riding up past Parmanechee Lake, I'll definitely do it east to west. Here's a link to where this route crosses the NH/ME border. https://goo.gl/maps/PQkkXi8GCv7wwMwM6
  13. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GoPro video of the ride from Boundary Pond to the end of East Inlet Road.
  14. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the close encounter with the grouse at 4:48
  15. 1 Wheel Drive

1 Wheel Drive Flatus Antiquous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. Reminds me a lot of the road we took up from Bowmantown, ME to the border, only the last 1/4 mile was flooded 2 track so we hoofed it up to the monument. You know, just to say we was there.

Looks very rideable on a big ADV bike.
    FreeTheBeast and AdamChandler like this.
  16. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did Lyme to Littleton yesterday....Roads in great shape considering all the rain.
    FreeTheBeast and AdamChandler like this.
  17. Rover43

Rover43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to ask, where was this Gopro mounted and what gopro model is this. I am assuming that its a 9 just based on the smooth video. !!!
  18. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's a Hero9. The image stabilization is pretty impressive, isn't it?

It's mounted right over my left-front turn signal using a mount similar to the one at the link below. (This exact same mount appears to be available in silver and black all over the internet and under all sorts of different manufacturer names.) If you do go with this mount, be warned. The mass of the camera is cantilevered off a bend in the sheet metal, so it can wag around and fatigue pretty quickly when you get into the rough stuff. I've read reviews the camera fell off the bike the first ride. With mine I've snaked a couple zip ties through the GS-shaped cutouts so it doesn't fall away if it breaks. And I wedge a piece of foam between the side of the camera and the fairing to keep it from wagging around at all. Never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-C...t+r1200gs&qid=1627499975&s=automotive&sr=1-18
  19. Rover43

Rover43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes that stabilization is super impressive. Thanks for the info on the mount. I am waiting for the hero 10 to come out before I pull the trigger.
  20. ArdenLoneWolf

ArdenLoneWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    got a group of 3 riding it starting tomorrow from Rumney, NH!
    FreeTheBeast likes this.