Hampton Roads Chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by roger123, Dec 25, 2008.

1. M1kefries

M1kefries Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a little behind the power curve on this one, but just a reminder for those that are interested the Twin Valley Rally registration is open. I think it opened on 4/1, but they limit attendance and it usually sells out.

https://twin-valley-rally.square.site/
    HooDini and Phonic like this.
  2. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok im signed up.
    Phonic likes this.
  3. ptownjohnny

ptownjohnny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Signed up
    Phonic likes this.
  4. n6dlh

n6dlh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any suggestions for a decent moto camping tent? Im wanting to make a dry run this spring for moto camping.
  5. M1kefries

M1kefries Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a two man tent that I don’t use any longer you are welcome to it. I just have to dig it out of storage.
  6. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Here in the valley, it seems it waxes and wanes. Some mornings I'll walk back and forth to work, and can cross the street with zero issue. Downtown is empty, like you noticed. The drive thru windows at the fast food places are the only backups.

But as with 2 weeks ago, I expect today to be busy. It's payday for a lot of people, so everyone will be out and about. I've always done my shopping on Saturday or Sunday mornings, as later in the day is much too "peopley" for me. But now I do it for safety. Unfortunately, this means that by the time I do my shopping, the shelves are picked clean. But I can usually still find what I want, so I'm grateful for that.

One big thing is the closure of Shenandoah National Park, and the first 13 miles of the BRP. They tried keeping it open, with rules in place for those who visited. You could still drive, park, and even hike, as long as you observed social distancing and other rules (like pack in/pack out). Unfortunately, as I've known for years, people cannot police themselves. Parking areas were over-run. Hiking trails had hundreds of people clogging them. Trash was literally thrown everywhere.

So now they've closed SNP, and started to close the BRP (The first 13 miles is where Humpback is) in sections. And in true form, people are now screaming "tyranny", and using excuses like "I can't get the virus if I just drive!", which is true. Sadly, that has nothing to do with the closure though, and there's simply no explaining that to some people.

But there's still lots to do, and places to go. Lots of backroads to travel and sight-see. I'm catching up on landscaping and home improvements. Hobbies, old and new. And even though I'm working for now, trying to keep my mind off the probable collapse of the industry in about 6 or 9 months.

But I'm working now. I have food. And shelter. And bikes. And that's somethin'.
    Weldman likes this.
  7. RotesHengst

RotesHengst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BlakKrauStudios . . . I would give you alike but it might induce a rant . . . :devildog . . . In lieu of that . . .

unnamed-2 2.jpg unnamed.jpg

Thanks for the travel tip!
    Weldman likes this.
  8. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    Both excellent memes, my good sir. And that first one is especially true. :D
    Weldman likes this.
  9. ptownjohnny

Oddometer:
    Rode to Afton yesterday thought I would hop on the brp should have read this yesterday
    RotesHengst and Phonic like this.
  10. ptownjohnny

Oddometer:
    Got a email today the twin valley rally is canceled
  11. HooDini

HooDini Hootie Hoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the same one. I guess we all need to make our own local rally to the mountains, when this crap lets up.
    MGB, ptownjohnny and Phonic like this.
  12. Phonic

Phonic ...or how not to motorcycle.

Oddometer:
    Definitely up for that.
  13. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    Not sure of how "off roady" you are, but a good route from your way would be up Rt. 6 through Afton, then take Howardsville Turnpike from the top-o-the-mountain, parallel BRP, then down through the holler into Sherando. Hop on 664 for a bit, and turn up Reeds Gap to head back over the mountain, then down to Devil's Backbone.

Looky like this:
    https://goo.gl/maps/sdvCwa8VBLLNyMjw9

For a little longer route, hit Coal Road in Sherando, over to Vesuvius, then hid Rt. 56 up over the mountain to 151.

That looky like this:
    https://goo.gl/maps/whPTepkPKKaDrgsSA

Still lots to see and do and ride up here. Just not at the parks. But they're filled with tourists and bears anyway. :D
    ptownjohnny and RotesHengst like this.
  14. ptownjohnny

Oddometer:
    thanks for the route sounds great
  15. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    If we keep the group small, I may host at camp in Amherst county. Someone will need to pick up a home made pie at Woodruffs in Elon on the way in.

Hoodini: ]I got the same one. I guess we all need to make our own local rally to the mountains, when this crap lets up.[/QUOTE]
    ptownjohnny, HooDini and Phonic like this.
  16. okennon

okennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on 56 in the last 6 mos? Last summer it was shit from gravel to washout to work crews scanning it together.
  17. BlakKrauStudios

Oddometer:
    From Vesuvius up to the BRP it's fine. They repaved it this past fall. I believe the other side down to Massey's Mill was repaved last fall as well, but I haven't been down that way since November-ish.
    ptownjohnny likes this.
  18. Phonic

Oddometer:
    Stuck in the mountains for the next 6 weeks.
    Life is hard.

upload_2020-4-26_19-37-4.png

upload_2020-4-26_19-38-59.png

Attached Files:

19. HooDini

HooDini Hootie Hoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    ptownjohnny, Phonic and MGB like this.
  20. Phonic

Oddometer:
    Did you notice the inspection sticker?