Hand Lever Ergonomics on the KTM 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ricardo Kuhn, May 5, 2004.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    or a Bicycles set up on my new bike
    Right hand brake lever
    [​IMG]

Another View
    [​IMG]

left clutch Hand
    [​IMG]

notice the Big gap(about 2" from the perch)
    [​IMG]

the idea here is to locate your Most powerful fingers(Index & Middle finger) at the end of the lever were the most power is optain ,basically the farder away from the povit point the more leverage you have,you need to remenber the lever will be farder away,so you need to readjust them a little,also need to be careful with the other two fingers getting Crush but that is not a Big deal
    kinger garden Fisics maybe but still as current as the day they were discover
    [​IMG]
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing Ricky. When I put on my Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards I had to move my clutch lever in like that so it would not hit the guard. More leverage for sure. I bet Boejangles is really getting a kick out of your antics here. Like a kid in a candy store. Go for it ! You deserve it.

Goss :freaky
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I use to
    :rofl :rofl :rofl my :tush off at this "Super mega motocross Stars" that use to cut the end of the levers to fit hand guard:baldy...man they were so stubborn.

oh well and then they have "Arm PUmp" but don't know why

yeah we were :D about it a few minutes ago,,he knows I know what i'm doing,,funny because i don't or at least i'm not so sure.

anyway i keep taking photos and show the "improvements"

oh i don't know if you can tell but i change many bolts to Allen type stuff,,for sure is far easier to carry a folding tool than a bunch of sockets.
    Look closelly at the perch bolt
    [​IMG]
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    for sure look far better ,,maybe not as strong but for sure very practical

they are 8MM X 30MM
    work just fine
    [​IMG]

I also Did my first power slide,,actually i did a few of them,,the pastrana bars are working wonderfully,,i did extend them about 1/2' farder out with a little piece of scrap Protaper

This is temporary but works great
    [​IMG]
    ,,the levers are working awesome too

I also burn my self with the pipe,,i'm glad i don't have the stupid stock pipes i will have no arm :rofl :rofl :rofl
    [​IMG]

I love this thing :rabia
  5. merlin

merlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricardo, You need too try a Enduro engineering eazy pull clutch lever. It's shorter and has needle bearings in the bolt hole. www.enduroeng.com
  6. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Is this your bike now and if it is why did the previous owner sell it?
  7. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg, I won't be able to ride for at least untill next spring and it didn't make sense for me to have the bike sitting around. I just assume buy another one next year rather than have that beast tempting me while I recover.
  8. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Well I must of missed that whats wrong with you and I hope you get better quick
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    actually you want the lever to be LONGER to achive a better power rathio,but if you play with the folcrum povit like i'm sure they did,really nice results can be achive..
    I like that company they make some smart stuff

thanks for the link
  10. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    i've done the same on my bike.... the lever hit on the ACERBIS protection...

but KTM made also SHORTER LEVER...

not expensive...
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    :nono:nono matheo is the other way around
    basically the longer the lever the better leverage you will have.
    Look the human hand have two prominent fingers and two that just come for the ride,when you hold to the lever with the Pinky and the ring finger you have almost no mecanical advantage they are not only weaker but they are shorter and when the lever is the fardest away,,so you end pressing (and reaching) for the lever with the middle and index finger at the middle of the lever were the mecanical advantage is much less noticiable

I hope this is clear now
  12. Hi-zoot

Hi-zoot Living for the Weekend

Oddometer:
    A little feedback on the EE clutch lever. I have this on my 03 300exc and really like it. It has needle bearings at the pivot and does have an altered pivot point to allow more leverage.They advertise a 40% reduction in pull and I believe it.I love it BUT, due to the altered fulcrum/ pivot point it doesn't push on the plunger straight . Causing the plunger to leak over time. (4 all day rides in my case). It maybe different for the 950 as I dont know how its setup .
  13. Mikey Monger

Mikey Monger When pigs fly...

Oddometer:
    Hey Ricky:

I moved my stock brake lever as shown and tried it out.
    Works great!

Thanks for the tip. :thumb
  14. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    glad i can help :freaky

in the long temr specially if you ride in the dirt(not much dirt in florida i think) is going to be much, much easier and less efford to operate...
  15. Mikey Monger

Mikey Monger When pigs fly...

Oddometer:
    Lotsa dirt in FL.

Did about 150 miles on the levees in the Everglades on Saturday. The brake felt great. :super
  16. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, when Rico speaks, I listen. Especially when coincidence conspires to make me thing somebody is trying to send me a message. Last week, riding to work semi-consciously, I was awakened by the need to reduce my speed dramatically, and casually got a finger on the brake and did what I had to do, and noticed that I really shoulda been grabbin' that thing a lot more enthusiastically. When I'm more aware of myself, I deliberately grab the brake lever farther out, because, duh, it works better.

So along comes Ricardo with the "move your levers in, stupid" post, and certain that he's talkin' to me, I slide'em in about 15mm that evening. Yeah, what the hell, the clutch, too. Now, this is so easy, so bloody obvious that it's just stupid...really beneath the level of high-zoot innovation that we expect of ourselves--jeebus, this isn't even pennytech, it's freetech...anyway, I realized today after I got to work that I had not noticed that I'd done it. That is a very good sign.

This is good. Cool. Oh yeah, this is on the KLR, as if that made a difference. Perhaps I should add that this kind of thing is one of The Things I Like About Dirt Bikes--discrete hardware as opposed to big-ass pods like on Beemers.

Thanks.