Handlebar joystick for Android tablet

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dagjen, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this cheap handlebar joystick/remote I found on eBay. It can zoom and pan a map in eg Viewranger and scroll a roadbook in pdf(on a Nvidia Shield K1 android tablet).
    However, with a remote for the tripmaster as well on the handlebar (not mounted in the video), the left side is getting way to cluttered and it needs a better overall solution. Also, the joystick (https://tinyurl.com/y8blchw2) is a cheap plastic non waterproof and sure to fail device, even though the roadbook rallies I sometimes participate in are lightweight.
    So the question is, where can one buy parts (switches, joystick) for a diy controller which should incorporate tripmaster, joystick/remote, turn signal, high/low beam, etc? Question number two, anyone done this before? Must be.

vinter_DSF3314.jpg
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one, we'll see how it goes.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Received it today but so far have been unable to make it scroll a map.
  7. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    If the function is the same as with mine, here's what you got to do; When turned on and connected to the tablet, press mode (on the left side) and D simultaneously. Then you're in mouse mode. Then hold down the enter button(in front of the remote) while moving the joystick. That will pan the map on my device. I´m not close to the remote now, so this info is taken from memory, for what that is worth...
  8. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this units functionality?
    Dad likes this.
  9. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do? Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I can't get it to work with iOS. If anyone want's it, I'd take $10 shipped if you're in the US.
  11. Norrlandspojken

Norrlandspojken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone found any solution?
  12. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    I’m working on my own design at the moment:
    8BA94BFF-F77D-442C-8146-DADB6D8FF2A4.jpeg A84B7040-FF14-43FC-8538-B66E0D6F0519.jpeg
    Here is a little demo video:
    scootertrog, kzeb, tileman and 2 others like this.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a build thread on this anywhere??

I need details on the mount, tablet and hardware used on the nav buttons. I've been looking to do something similar, and it seems like you've accomplished everything I wanted to do!
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  15. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys. Looks like this thread is long dead, but if you are still looking for a ready made solution, check the link below (programmable BT controller specifically for bikes, groweing number of supported apps, phone call rejecting / accepting, music control, ...)

https://carpe-iter.com/

https://m.facebook.com/CarpeIter/
    dragos likes this.
  16. bambilul

bambilul n00b

Oddometer:
    carpeiter controller is cool. I haven't seen how it works on iphones... expensive (over $150)
    Daytona seems to have more controls and cheaper (under $100) but it also seems not to work too good with IOS (iphones)
    the amazon thingy joystick, i see above that it is not so relible and i am concerned about the waterproofing
    @Dagjen - do you have a build thread somewhere? For a wired solution there is also this (though lacking joystick) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Mo...dlebar-Mount-Momentary-Latching-/112704727903
  17. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    The remote I am working on is still in the works, but until we are closer to a launch date, we found it necessary to stop publishing every step of the way. Hopefully we will have a general remote ready within months. I have no build thread, since we are still playing with the idea of making this a sellable product. If I decide not to, I will present the solutions we found, some of them quite good too. But hang on, we are working on this in between our other jobs, and fingers crossed, will have something ready in a not too distant future.
  18. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, when you look at controllers (there not that many anyway), you should focus on what they actually can do.

Like e.g. Daytona - lots of buttons, only 4 you can actually use to control a gps app;-). The others are system buttons, like home, back, enter and there is no changing it.

Carpe is expensive, but look what it can do ... Locus, Drive Mode, roadbook apps, Google Maps, Sygic, Waze, mapy.cz, Kurviger, ..... osmand, maps.me with some limitations...

And when the february update of the software is out, you can control EVERY app
    919nick likes this.
  19. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    P.s. carpe does not work on ios yet. Will come later this year
  20. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the Carpe remote to be very intriguing [the tablet not so much]. If a trustworthy reviewer were to test one, hard, on a commercially available tablet I'd be a very likely to buy one if it proved reliable and functional.
    redkerk84 and Carpe Iter like this.