Handlebar joystick for Android tablet

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dagjen, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I purchased the remote. I am going to use it with an old Nexus 7 I had lying around. I used it briefly with my Duraforce last year. Just testing in the house it seems to work okay. The joystick can be finicky at times. Though it could be that I'm clicking the joystick when I mean to be just moving the cursor. We'll how it works with gloved hands. Not sure how thicker gloves would work, as the buttons and joystick aren't all that big. It's a cool product, and it saved me from researching how to build my own.
    Carpe Iter likes this.
  2. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
    You can check here, although some of it is German - the page is done by one of the reporters working for Der Reitwagen - austrian major motorcycle magazine (he is one of the guys using the set longest, including taking it on roadbook rallies): https://www.facebook.com/eRoadbook/

Plus reviews by John Ross, one of the linesman on the T.E.T. - he spend 30 days in offroad non-stop with the set in Bosnia, Bulgaria and thereabout. Or here by motorradreise.tv, the guy took it on several thousand km long trip on gravel and dirt roads across Italy and some other countries: https://www.facebook.com/Motorradreise.TV/posts/1795567073909391

Depends what you expect and for what exactly you want to use that. If single purpose navigation is what you are looking for, there are devices, which will do the job and will be cheaper. But if the added benefits of a smart device is what you are looking for, there are really not many (I might dare to say any) tablet like devices, which will beat CI Pad in any respect (direct sunshine readability, ruggedness, charging without overheating, huge memory, integrated GSM functions, sufficient LCD real estate for pure map navigation but not too big to make it unpractical in the cockpit at the same time). That said, I openly admit every time I point out the benefits, that the CI Pad might not get best solution for everyone - it depends entirely what you want to use it for. I would say that the closest "competitor" might be the Samsung Active Tab 2, although CI Pad is better in every respect ;-) (much brighter screen, much faster, really watertight - you get issues with charging the Tab 2 in the rain, much more rugged).

Typical user is someone, who whats to switch between various apps to do different navigation tasks and uses the map a lot especially while riding ("finding" the route as you go) and wants to use it also off the bike like a normal tablet - preparing routes, social media, emails, youtube, ... Plus the possibility to use it as an electronic roadbook might also be appealing to many guys out there (unless you are a pro). In that regard the upcoming Rally Control will be a great addition - no joystick to break plus front wheel magnetic sensor support.

Regarding reliability, CI Control has exactly ZERO fail rate so far. There was a single defective CI Pad so far, but that was out of the box problem associated with badly inserted speakers connector, nothing that would go bad during usage. Of course time will tell, but so far I am personally quite impressed:-).
    dlugosda likes this.
  3. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Hi, when did you get yours? We changed the design a little before x-mas - softer buttons and lower joystick. In any case, for the joystick: just "swipe" it with your thumb from the side of the enclosure, do not try to operate it as a normal large joystick. Otherwise it can really happen a lot that you accidentally press the "center push" button instead of moving it in the desired direction.

Yes, the buttons are relatively small - a toll for trying to make the device as small as possible. On the modern bikes there is not whole lot of room on the handlebar anymore with those ever growing oem controls :-D. But unless you are a giant, I think you will have no issue after couple rides. Like anything new, it takes a little getting used to. I can still remember how I struggled to find turnsignal switch on a bike without looking when I started riding :-D. It can be similar with the CI Control for a little while.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you recently change your pricing? The last time I checked it was going to cost me $288 to get a controller shipped to me.

I just checked again and it's only $203 shipped to me.

The last time I brought up the cost, you openly mocked me and tried to talk down to me about my capabilities. Was it a glitch in the website and you just recently fixed it? Or are you bringing the cost down a bit to catch the eye of more buyers?

I'm still very interested in the gear, and the price is definitely getting closer to what I'd be willing to pay for a working solution so I don't have to do it all myself. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be openly mocked or given a hard time about bringing up the cost of the product, like you did before.
  5. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    I never mock people. But if it was the kind of discussion "I can build it in my garage for a fragment of the price" i can imagine my response may have been too harsh:-D Sorry about that.

We dropped the price a little, so I imagine the difference would be mostly VAT and cheaper shipping (national post, not fedex).
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the current price it's almost at a point where I want to order one. Still a little high for me, as I am not a rally racer, and am merely going to use it for the few trips I get to make a year (nothing crossing countries or anything cool). Hard to justify when it's just a few times a year trip, and commuting doesn't require any nav for me.

I really would like some more reviews done on it in English before I can make a decision.
  7. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want one and I’m willing to pay for it. I have no affiliation, just a gear geek who enjoys the toys as much as the rides. Heading to Baja in March and I’ll do a full report on my return...stay tuned!!
    NoelJ and flamingm0e like this.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please do! Thank you!
  9. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently waiting to receive mine, going to be using it on a Samsung Active Tab 2 for combination of controlling the tablet (use drive mode dashboard for day to day) as well as rally style navigation on a couple of trips this summer. I'll be sure to do a review of it and the Drivemode Dashboard app once I've got some time with both.
    NoelJ and flamingm0e like this.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in some detailed reviews before I plop down that kind of scratch.
  11. ModMan

ModMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well mine's arrived today (2 days to the UK) and I've had a little play with it. Just on charge at the moment and will fit it to the bike later, can't wait to try it out in anger soon.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a few months of waiting (lost shipment through Post), I got my controller and have done a couple of small day rides with it. It is great, but it is going to take some getting used to.
  13. kelvyn

kelvyn KTM AdventureR

Oddometer:
    Any user updates?
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to do a few multi day rides with it. It is REALLY handy to have, and makes moving around on the map zoom in/out etc, easy. I am really happy with it so far.
  15. ModMan

ModMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Likewise. I've only used it a few times and it's great. Takes a bit of learning the app, but it's quite intuitive.
  16. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for the COBDR and the CDT and can't say enough good things. Hell the battery lasted the entire 3 weeks of the CDT trip of daily use, weather, dust, falls, etc.

I actually ended up with a second one and I've been trying to get Carpe to let me know what they want me to do with it. If somebody in the US wants one please feel free to talk to them about purchasing one and having me ship my extra to you.

If you're using a tablet or phone and drive mode dashboard I cannot recommend the controller more, it is the best add on to my bikes controls.
    dazzadm likes this.