Handlebar threaded insert thingy...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by seh750, May 12, 2004.

1. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How the f### do you get the handlebar threaded insert thingy out? I'm switching to Pro Tapers and am having a hell of time removing those things. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PS: Ricky...if you're listening...any word on the Acerbis Rally guard mounts?
  2. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    re-Insert(tread) the bolt that comes with the hand guards about 5 turns and hammer it IN,the sistem use a "Wedge" so the idea is to move the wedge were the taper is less,,,really easy
    I order them from ACN a few weeks ago when i have about 3 sets left,no response so far,,,sorry about that.
  3. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    MURPHY'S LAW

when you take off the bar... the screw fall down just between the engine and the cooling system.... :thumb :flush :hair
  4. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Ricky's idea doen't work - I just used a fine bladed screwdriver and very carefully pried mine out.
  5. Shamal

Shamal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I get the "wedge" out by putting a shot of compressed air through the bars from the other end. Pops right out like a cork.
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    man what kind of compressor do you have a "Potato canon" is so many gaps on this the air is going to escape,,just hammer the bolt in will come out efordleslly,i took apart 5 of this bars already and is the easiest way to do it and works everytime
  7. seh750

seh750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It turns out one of mine was glued in. I got it out, it wasn't pretty, but it worked. Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I used some of them.
  8. Shamal

Shamal Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well, I've never come across one that was glued in, but during grip changes, I always lose the wedge in the bar just out of reach of a bolt and just tight enough that a dentist-style pick won't extract it. My compresser is one of the small pancake type -nothing special. Try it sometime.
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

to take GRIPS out i use the compressor a million times,actually works to insert them to,,but for the metal parts a little more "persuation" is require