Handlebar wobbles on '08 Adv.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by HelmetHead Cycle, Apr 20, 2009.

1. HelmetHead Cycle

HelmetHead Cycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had a new set of Conti Trail Attacks put on and now I notice that if I take my hands off the bars around 40 mph, there is a slight wobble that gets better as the bike slows. It is the worst around 40 mph. Tires were balanced. Should have use Dyno Beads I suppose.
  2. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Maybe.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the balance again. If that isn't an issue, make sure your dealer didn't bend a wheel mounting the front tire, or not get the tire seated all the way around (most likely).

Check the tire where it meets the rim and see if the tire appears completely seated. Usually there is a mold line on the tire near the rim that serves as a guide. I once didn't get a tire completely seated and had a similar problem, though at lower speeds.

Jim :brow
  4. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with trail attack on my 07. Check out wheel runout (side to side). Mine was off 2.4 mm so I tried to get a replacement under warranty. Dealer ordered 2 wheels which turned out to be worse than the one I had. I gave up and sent the wheel to Woody's which cured the problem.

Joe
  5. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These tires came stock on my 09 GSA and I have the same problem.
    My tires are cupping and the dealer said it was a tire issue and nothing wrong with my bike. He said that some tires are like that.

All I know is that these tires sux and I will go back to tourances.
  6. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what amount of runout is 'acceptable' or typical? I'm about to start chasing a similar condition, but since the bike is new to me, i can't assume anything... could be flat spot on wheel, balance, or runout. anything else to check?
  7. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also... i used to true up bicycle wheels. would the process be similar on the GSA wheels? or is this best left to the pros at Woody's?
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The outside spoke configuration confounds the best wheel guys! It is more an art than a science.

Jim :brow
  9. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    I'll second that, 07 990 with michy ac 10 on the front, interesting @ 140 in the wet, got to buy dampner , got to buy dampner
  10. claude74

claude74 2 Girls, 4 Tities!

Oddometer:
    06' 30k Spoked wheels, Tourances
    On deceleration between 40-30mph if you let go of the bar its a good 1/4 inch wobble. I first purchased the bike with cast wheels and never had the issue. Now I have cross lace wheels that woody took apart and did his anodizing and powder coating magic on that cause this problem. One thing about the issue is that I ride with a trunk box on the bike and it only happens when the box is on, not when it's off? BMW has had the bike for 2 weeks, nothing! Any thoughts?
  11. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    BMW dealer told me that 1.5mm is within BMW's acceptable limits. They said they trued mine to 1mm when I complained of vibration but it doesn't look that way to me and its still there. They also tell me the vibration must be coming from somewhere else in the bike but my handlebars still shake at 100-120Kph on the gas or clutch pulled in coasting. Still toying with the idea of sending them to woody when the funds look better...
  12. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    So another tire does this to the 12gs Adventure... interesting.

I had this issue on an 06 Adv a couple years ago with the Tourance. We had a good long thread about it (link here). I didn't know it was a tire issue at first, but that was the final conclusion after everything else was eliminated.

But now that I see another bike with the exact same symptons with a different tire... is there something just flawed about (some) 12gs adventures???
  13. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    I had this happen with a Michelin Anakee I ordered from a mail service. called them, got a new tire, returned the old one, problem solved. Just a bad tire.
  14. claude74

claude74 2 Girls, 4 Tities!

Oddometer:
    This I do believe was part of my problem as well. So the parts unlimited rep agreed to swap out a tourance I just ordered from motorcyclesuperstore witch had a small hop in it. This seemed to cure the problem without the top case on but once I put the top case back on the wobble came back! Nucking Futs
  15. nazdravanul

nazdravanul Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Same problem here. 08 GSA, switched from Anakees 2 to Trail Attacks and the dreaded wobble is there. I initially thought it was no big deal, that things will improve as the tire breaks in, but 400 kms later and the wobble is more upsetting than ever.
    I will be replacing them next week with Pilot Road 2 back / Pilot Road front.
  16. Loggiebone

Loggiebone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    08 GSA here with Conti Trail wobble too! Rim is true and balanced. I think it's just the tire...at least in all but the worst conditions and they aren't made with tight enough tolerances.

As an aside...this is my first GSA and also have some sportbikes to hot rod around on and do track days. I'm really amazed at how this bike...and these tires stick when you want to really "go" in the twisties! Great fun to embarrass the youngsters!:clap
  17. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    I had the problem with the stock Conti Trail Attacks and switched out to the Avon Distanzia's in the hopes that the Vibration would go away...It didn't so I blamed it on the wheel instead. Wheel has been trued by the dealer but the vibration still exists...:baldy Could it be coming from somewhere else in the driveline? I'm going to throw in some Dynabeads and see if it makes a difference.

I would like to point out the dealer told me the vibration I'm decribing from 100-120Kph (55 - 65 MPH) is inherent to the GS and they found it in most. is Everyone else having this vibration at the above speed that doesn't go away when the clutch is pulled in? Mine does:dog
  18. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dealer changed out my front wheel for a new wheel on my 08 Adventure due to it was bent. It show up bad at 50mph
  19. nazdravanul

nazdravanul Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Never had any vibration on my stock Bridgestone Battlewings, Anakees 2, or current Pilot Road 2 / 1 setup. The vibration showed up only with the Conti Trail Attacks, and totally disappeared after changing those tires. My wheels are not true either (only 14000 kms of tarmac on the bike, currently) , but have been correctly/professionally balanced, every time .
  20. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    When I first tried the trail attacks, I got the same wheel wobble. As I posted earlier, I checked wheel runout and it was off 2.5 mm. Other tires did not seem to care that much about the runout untill they were 75% worn, then the wobble would begin. When I measured the runout on the Conti at the tire edge, it was way off (6mm).

I have just put a new trail attack on the front (I had an almost new rear laying around and didn't want to waste it) and the new one is perfect (no wobble!!). The wheel has been trued by Woody's and is less that .002" off and I was shocked at how good this new tire was compaired to the old one (I sent old one back to vender for refund as defective).

I can only figure that the quality control at the S Korea factory is spotty at best which is a shame because I love the way these tires perform. If you get a good one they are great, but a bad one........... Emails to Continental have been ignored so this may be my last set.

Joe