Hannigan on a Harley

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by trumpet, Nov 26, 2020.

1. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Lord help me, I am considering going back to Hacks.... I had a 68 FLH factory rig for quite a few years and really dug it. Now I have a 08 Ultra Glide that I am considering hacking.

After looking around the web I found I really like the Hannigan Indian Heritage hack but can't find any pics on the web of them mounted to Harleys.

I think I saw an inmate had one setup but can't find any pics.

So question is has anyone mounted one, and if you have one on your Harley would you please share your pics and experience with the rig as a whole.

If I do this it will be over the winter, so the wife and I can tour over the next few years.

My old rig:
    shovel at brit jam.jpg

What I'm thinking about hacking:
    flhtcu.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  2. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's one not on an Electra Glide, this is on cycle trader. I remember seeing one somewhere, I will try and find it.[​IMG]
  3. davet2

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Bobmws and Rakthi like this.
  4. davet2

Oddometer:
  5. davet2

Oddometer:
  6. davet2

Oddometer:
    Take a look at Hannigan's facebook page. There are a few examples there. I don't have any experience with them but I have seen one in person on an Indian. I think they look good and probably perform very well too.
    [​IMG]
    Bobmws likes this.
  7. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    One of many Hannigans we have done. Excellent attention to detail and design along with ease of entry etc. Quite a few options of course. indian han 3.jpg indian han2.jpg
    Bobmws and brstar like this.
  8. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Designed for Indian, and looks good on the Ultra. Hmm, @claude stanley guess I'll give you a shout.
    claude stanley likes this.
  9. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Call the shop 570 837 5120.....We have done quite a few of these on Harleys as well as other bikes...it is our American Classic model .Note the first picture is a steel one ...we only did a few that way and switched to 1/8 aluminum. Most want a larger trunk than the motor company provided so can go either way also a door opening is popular. Happy passengers create happy riders lol AMERICAN CLASSIC REAL HD.jpg american classic harley.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  10. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    AM CLASSIC VIC.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  11. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    @claude stanley , nice. But wifey says no way. She likes the clamshell door setup. I'll give a shout tomorrow.

I'm curious about the connection points and ease of separation for servicing. As well as fitting a car tire for the pusher, it'd be nice to do 10~15k between rear tires.

If anyone's rocking one of these setups, how are they on the interstate? Can they pass with ease? Stay up with 70mph traffic? My 68 could do freeway, but no passing, not enough umph to overcome the wind resistance and have 'authority' to get around slower traffic. [yes really] At 65mph we'd encounter slower vehicles and get stuck, no way around unless there was no left lane traffic.

Bike would top out at 85, but really wouldn't spend any time there and be happy. So 75 max.

My 08 is geared a little high, so I'd have to address that as part of the 'package'. Maybe convert to chair rear drive for better ratio and room for darksiding?

Lots to consider.
    claude stanley likes this.
  12. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Can be removed in about a half hour. If you get a brake it has a quick disconnect that works well. Most buid ( or have us built) a simple dolly with caster wheels to support the left side of the sidecar so once all ( electrical plug, brakes and four struts) are unhooked it can be rolled around easily. This also is nice when you re hook it up. .........Speed is not a concern on the highway although gas milage will go down some. We have done quite a few of these since they came out and have had no complaints. Some stop by to see us now and then which is nice.
    1bmwmc and brstar like this.