Hanoi to Ho Chi Min to Angkor Wat to ?

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by WesF, Aug 6, 2018.

1. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm OK with the 1st leg (I think?) & am looking at flights for $1400 return from KC to Hanoi for a month, BUT, l also want to visit Ho Chi Min City & Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
    I have found a reasonably priced motorcycle tour for 5/7 or 10days starting & finishing in Hanoi, but may take a train down to HCM City then ???? to Angkor Wat, but the trip back up to Hanoi could be a drag........So, is the only way to approach a RTW flight company & go KC to Hanoi to HCM City to Angkor Wat then fly back "sort of" directly from AW to Bangkok to KC????

Also, anyone who has done a similar trip please throw any info & advise at me that you have!!!

Thanks for reading.
  2. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update.....no other riders have enrolled in the 7 day tour running down the Ho Chi Min trail, so l'm looking for other riders who are commited.
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hola inmate I am heading to Vietnam for a month starting Sep 1 to Oct 1.
    I will be riding from Saigon to the South, Central and North.
    If you fly into Ha Noi rent a one way rental and head South.
    You can return the bike in Saigon and take a tour to Angkor Wat
    You can purschase 1 way fly back to Ha Noi under $100
    Get with TiGIT for small bike 150cc
    But if you need other bike or more info. PM me for details.
  4. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance try to get out to sa pa in northern vietnam i visited there 2 years ago and hired a honda cub ripoff there were some incredible views and roads up in the mountains amoungst the rice plantations and hill tribes and a beautiful hmong tribe culture
  5. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me more details of what you did with your luggage that you took, how you found your way around, where did you find lodgings, etc, etc.
  6. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So our trip wasnt purely based around bike touring but we got around of the scooter everywhere we landed. To get to sa pa from hanoi we took the overnight train as we thought it was the only option but after finding out you can pay slightly more for an airconditioned coach that does the trip in half the time i would recommend that route as the train was something circa world war 2... once in sa pa we stuck all our luggage in a hotel and spent the nights there hiring a 125cc step through and doing day tours. There is a place called ethos in sa pa that does cultural tours with the hill tribes and also some offroad motorbike tours either hiring their bikes or taking your own. The roads through the mountains there are amazing we didnt actually follow any pre determined route just jumped on the bike in the morning and took off till sunset. If you do stay in sa pa try to make time to take the chair lift across to mount fransipan it takes you over the foothills of the himalayas in a suspended chairlift cabin was pretty spectacular. If you need anything else hit me up i will try scramble through my memory of what other specific things there were to do. Cheers
  7. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phil, any guidance you can give me is invaluable, & l won't be doing purely motorcycle riding all the time, l have a tendancy to enjoy comfortable beds & just walking from my accomodation to a nice bar that sells anything fried on a plate!!!:lol3('cept dog!).....(& rat!)
  8. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Iv had a dig through some of the photos i could find to show you some of the spots out in Sa Pa. Here are a few pics of the roads that we found heading out from town on day trips, basically there is a ring road that leads around the outside of the Sa Pa township and roads that head out in each direction, some with pretty spectacular views and roads to ride.[​IMG] ricefieldsstitch.jpg P1160842.JPG

Here are a few pics of the cable car from Sa Pa to Mount Fransipan its pretty spectacular but as you can see we came at a bad time of year for fog and low laying clouds so alot of our photos are obscured although you can see the roads and scenery is stunning. P1160755.JPG

Attached Files:

WesF likes this.
  9. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also when in vietnam if you can get to halong bay there is a rock formation called Bai Tho Mountain in the Halong Bay City that we didnt even know about until some locals pointed us in the direction and this has 360o views of halong bay and the halong city and i must say one of the most visually stunning contrasts i have ever seen in my travels and definately worth checking out!
    WesF likes this.
  10. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all this valuable info.
    The roads on your 2nd post up, are they graded gravel? Easy or difficult?
  11. Philzorz

Philzorz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are packed down dirt pretty bumpy but very manageable if its dry im not sure how you would go in the wet. The locals ride their little scooters and stepthru bikes everywhere so just follow where they go and you will be fine. Everything there is shared between bikes and walking paths so you get to ride to some special places