1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hansen’s is gone.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by airheadPete, Sep 9, 2020.

1. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything is burning out here.

[​IMG]
    Almeda Fire Rogue Valley
    Dear Friends and Valued Customers,
    Everyone is okay, but I'm holding back tears (mostly) as I write this note about the Almeda Fire in the Rogue Valley.

Mark & Laurie lost their house, personal belongings, motorcycles, everything except Mark's car. They are safe now staying with Laurie's son in White City.

Wade & Caren can't get back into Ashland, but he believes the winds keep the fire moving away from his home. They currently are staying with Ted & Dianne in Grants Pass.

Dave & Sharon's home is safe, but like all the Rogue Valley are at Level 1 evacuation. His in-laws, son, and their daughter & her husband are staying with them.

Mason & Anne's home is also currently at Level 1 evacuation. He has multiple friends from the Ashland to Phoenix area who are staying at their house until things settled down.

Connie & I are in our home which is at Level II. The Van is loaded with Dog & Cat containers along with food, water & valuables ready to leave if needed.

The fire is still burning with the winds starting up again and there is no idea when the fires will be put out. We don’t know the exact details, but it appears like massive destruction from the South Ashland I5 exit all the way past us to South Medford is destroyed.

Mason has been texting with our friends in the Sheriff's Department, and It sounds like the Hansen's BMW is a total loss. We were told D&S Harley, we presume Oregon Adventure KTM, and probably hundreds of homes & businesses along South Pacific Hwy are also burnt to the ground as well.

We are all devastated, and thousands of lives have been affected. It will be a weeks before I can put together a plan, but there is always a future even if I'm not sure exactly what it will be.

I'll keep you informed as best I can.
    Craig Hansen

From our front yard yesterday. We’re on the north bank of the Columbia, just east of Portland:
    F81DB892-BC50-4C91-B734-4E0420A670A1.jpeg

Shit.
    Craig and his crew are great people.
    tony the tiger and Square1 like this.
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shit.
  3. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this.
    My sympathies to you and those effected by this event.
    Keep us posted.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  4. airheadPete

Oddometer:
    Craig’s posted some photos.
    Let’s see if I can cut & paste.

[​IMG]
    Thank you for the Out Pouring of Support
    We truly are amazed by the out pouring of support from around the country by literally the best customers and friends in the world. Thank you, it has helped mend some of our broken hearts.
    For 49 years we have had business insurance, but never planned on using it. Over the next weeks I'll begin to find out how much it will take to rebuild Hansen's BMW a new facility and how good my insurance is. We have been offered space with Mason's close friend to begin opening up, but don't have a plan or time line yet.
    With all the people that have been affected by the fire, like Mark losing his home, Mason & I feel awkward sharing the Go Fund Me page that one of our customers has started. Our family & staff are people that offer help, but don't ask for help. We expect nothing from our customers except for the love & encourgement you have been giving us. But after talking with some close friends we feel that it would be wrong of us not to post the link from the support of two of our great customers.
    If you haven’t seen the photos check out our Facebook page, its pretty amazing and devastating.
    Thank You again
    Craig, Connie, Mason, Dave, Mark & Wade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-9-9_16-7-2.png

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:(

(The thing that stings is they were a true mom & pop shop, not the impersonal corporate monolith you usually see nowadays. Not many of those left. They weren’t just a dealer, they were your friends.)
    tony the tiger, NCJ and Benduro like this.
  5. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speechless
  6. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn
  7. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Awful, and heartbreaking. These west coast fires are our tornados, our hurricanes, our ice storms and blizzards. What's the worst?

The worst is that there is a lot more coming.
  8. airheadPete

Oddometer:
    We’ve left the truck hooked up to the horse trailer at the barn, in case they need to evacuate with no notice.
    The fire department’s been able to keep on top of the grass fires, so far.
    It’ll still be windy until tomorrow morning. The sky is bronze with smoke.
    Benduro likes this.
  9. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    It's not my thing, but in these moments you just have to say, Godspeed.
  10. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sorry to see this; the pictures are heart-rending. Even if the business can be rebuilt, there are so many irreplaceable things in a shop that's been doing business that long. It's my greatest fear.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  11. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A tragedy! Sister and her family live in Boring, OR - They're currently just out side the "Yellow" zone which is the "Prepare for possible evac". They do (or did - they don't know for sure) have a lake house in Detroit, OR which at last report is pretty much burned to the ground (the city). I lived in Troutdale, OR for a large part of my life through high school and the concept of a devastating forest/brush fire in the climate of the Willamette valley as I knew it - is causing some serious Cognitive Dissonance!:eek7
  12. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    “We do not have a context for this amount of fire on the landscape,” he said. “Seeing them run down the canyons the way they have — carrying tens of miles in one period of an afternoon and not slowing down in the evening – (there is) absolutely no context for that in this environment.”

Doug Grafe, chief of Fire Protection at the Oregon Department of Forestry
    Uke and globalt38 like this.
  13. airheadPete

Oddometer:
    I don’t recall which fire they were talking about, but one’s front moved sixty miles in twenty hours.
  14. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
  15. Mrstig

Mrstig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was 17 and a clueless squid when I first visited this shop. Mason and his family treated me with respect and kindness over the years. Mason gave me a tip that led to purchasing a 916 that treated me fantastic. They sold me gear that kept me and my wife safe and comfortable for tens of thousands of miles. One time I took my multistrata there for tires. It was a blazing summer day. I had brought cash to pay for the tires. While they were changing them i walked up the road to get lunch, but somewhere between when i left the dealership to after i came back i lost my wallet. They helped me look, but to no avail. They gave me 50 bucks to get fuel to make it home and sent me on my way. Not many shops would do that. I live a couple hours away, but still go there for anything I can. Hopefully they can recover stronger than ever, but i can't imagine the memories that place holds for them as a family.
    dinod, globalt38, cwroady and 3 others like this.
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    This is very sad.
  17. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Wish I lived closer, I'd love to help them out. I'm not rich but I have skills, at least when my arthritic hands allow it.
    aptbldr, Uke and globalt38 like this.
  18. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Just to clean it up they probably need mostly manual labor type help right now.

From the pics it looks like very little will be salvageable. Still hoping for the best. But it's a bad situation.

Hansen's will be back I'm sure.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  19. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming insurance would handle the manual labor. The Hansen's may sift through for anything salvageable but that hope may be fleeting...
  20. nothing

nothing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you the truth, I don't have that "everything will be ok in the end" feeling anymore :(

Oh my beloved Oregon, this is just heatbreaking.