Happy 70th birthday to me!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by draperg1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I predict satisfaction,and wondering why we can't get this stuff done in the US at a reasonable cost :-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  2. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    Not so certain that I would call this a "reasonable cost".
    brstar likes this.
  3. davebig

Oddometer:
    I'm going to think my post is more informed than yours Ridn3, he has probably less than 6k dollars in two alloy automotive 15" wheels, and a complete front fork assembly and it's had the benefit of some EU engineering as he pointed out it seemed to fit.
    I like Strokers wheels but they are 3k dollars and only 3.5" wide and aren't really meant to run tubless, no safety bead, If you can get Freedom or DMC to fix you up with 2 alloy wheels and forks for anywhere near the EZS price an deliver them in less than a year I'd be surprised !
    We could ask any number of the builders customers but we'll skip that for now, but one more statement ,why do you suppose Mikepa in starting his sidecar business decided to go with LBS rather than US builders ? It's rhetorical ! Euro's have more experience and have done allot more sidecars !
    LBS-USA likes this.
  4. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    I never said anything about quality, design, nor delivery times. Using your numbers, I'm afraid that I don't think that $6k "reasonable cost". Also, I believe that the rear wheel Draper currently has on the rig is one of Stroker's, purchased through Claude.
  5. davebig

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've owned Strokers wheels and tried to buy a set of leading link forks from Claude, 6 K dollars is allot but when a fiberglass sidecar and attachments from Hannigan cost 9k dollars and DMC was allegedly getting 40-50k for the liquid cooled GS with his expedition set up wide forks and 17" wheels all around and one came apart under a lawyer !
    How do you define reasonable cost ???
    I'll argue there's very little reasonable cost building a new rig . Sidecars are luxury items.
    Jim K in PA, Bobmws and High Octane like this.
  6. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good news and bad! Got everything together and took my first shake down cruise. Everything seems to work well except the wheel. The hub is perfect along with the rotors etc. But the wheel is too far out even after repair. The dent was fixed however both sides are out side to side and out of round. Still waiting on replacement. Frustrated!
    Bobmws, davebig and Ridn3 like this.
  7. davebig

Oddometer:
    Oh shit I don't know who straightened the wheel, I suggest check with a car dealer with a large body shop, Mercedes or BMW dealers we have a wheel service here that goes from shop to shop straightening alloy wheels with a hydraulic machine that twists hell out of them, the forged ones sometimes crack and the welding shop I hung out at used to fix the cracks till they got a welder and learned to do it themselves. https://www.awrswheelrepair.com/rochestermn/photogallery/show/323

Might be more difficult with motorcycle hub
  8. draperg1

Oddometer:
    I could only find one wheel repair willing to work on a motorcycle wheel and that's where I took it. They were a couple of hours away in Raleigh, NC. The obvious bend in the wheel was removed but there is still a 5mm side to side movement and almost that much up and down. The seat was good so I thought I would mount the tire and see. Didn't work!
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
  10. draperg1

Oddometer:
    I have no patience for waiting as well. I have been researching wheel repair shops and have found a couple of possibilities, one in Ohio and one in Tennessee. Going to remove tire, rotors, etc. today.
    brstar likes this.
  11. KKORO

KKORO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club!

KorKoro 44552917_571898653268019_3810101170555277107_n.jpg
  12. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Well the wheel is off for its second (and I hope last) repair. I talked to two shops and decided on Rohn Jon's Frame Straightening. Their website had a lot of pictures and information. They had a 5* rating and he actually knew what a leading link suspension was. Stay tuned.........
    davebig, Bobmws, Dynamick and 4 others like this.
  13. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Based on the EZS gone bust thread guess I better hope the wheel repair shop does me a good job. I have not had very good communication with EZS recently. Still trying to settle the bent wheel claim. At one time they offered 150E to have it repaired, guess I should have taken it. They said last week they were still planning on shipping a new rim. Time will tell........
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    That's been the story of EZS for several years always on the edge, when you got that fork in a timely fashion I had hopped things where better. Onward and forward.
    Bobmws and draperg1 like this.
  15. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    At this point, be happy that this didn't happen after they received your dollars and before shipping. I hope that it works out in the long run.
    Bobmws and draperg1 like this.
  16. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Received a video today from Rohn Jon's frame shop. Shows my wheel spinning with dial indicators showing less than .002 of run out. I think it will be good. He did say the rims were very soft aluminum, and to be very careful when mounting tire. Will be shipped out in the morning, should have in a couple of days.! Hopefully on the road by next week! Updates soon ..........
    Ridn3, Bobmws, brstar and 4 others like this.
  17. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    You may have the very last leading links from EZS. You should have them bronzed and then put them on the mantle for history's sake. :)
  18. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Have to make copies first, for you only $9999.99. :rayof
    Bobmws and brstar like this.
  19. draperg1

Oddometer:
    It's baaack! IMG_20201029_120253564.jpg Looks good, now if I can get it mounted without bending the soft aluminum rims.
    IMG_20201029_131741242.jpg
  20. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Tire mounted today, installed and went for a ride. The handling is excellent. Have tried both positions on the swing arm, for now am sticking with the front position for a little more road feel. Will try for a while and go back to less trail and compare. Much more solid feel. :super IMG_20201030_154202707.jpg IMG_20201030_153030033.jpg
    BJMoose, Jimr80gs, Bobmws and 10 others like this.