Happy 70th birthday to me!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by draperg1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Looks great.
    draperg1 likes this.
  2. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have been putting a few miles on the rig trying to make sure everything is as it should be. At first the front brakes were dragging and the rotors were too hot to grab. I had the calipers centered on the rotors but not square. It took my pea brain a while to figure out how to adjust as we all know EZS instructions are non existent. I now know why the caliper carriers have a pinch bolt for the bearings. The tool that helped the most was a 6" magnetic level. I was able to first stick it on the rotor then the caliper carrier and match the bubble. IT WORKED!! Went for a fairly long ride including highway and back roads and the rotors were just warm to the touch. :happayThe next thing I plan to do is to change the trail adjustment and try it again. Have not done this since I had the wheel repaired.
  3. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I like the least trail position, but when I tried it both ways I had short superbike bend bars and the was very heavy steering in the front position.
    It's not like you Bill to not notice those pinch bolts :hmmmmm
  4. draperg1

Oddometer:
    I noticed them just did not hit me what they were for! I'm really smart huh?:fpalm
    Bobmws, DRONE and brstar like this.
  5. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Well, I love the less trail position! It tracks straight and does not pull at 65 - 70mph. Of course it turns easy but it does not seem to follow road grooves. I think my decision to go with the 160/60 15 scooter tire was the correct one. Time will tell.:beer Even though it cost me an additional $350 and some aggravation with EZS it turned out much better than it could have. I shudder to think how I would have felt if they shut the doors after receiving my $4k and before shipping. :dirtdogI certainly hope one of the suitors is able to buy them out, we can only hope.
    brstar, Bobmws, High Octane and 2 others like this.
  6. draperg1

Oddometer:
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.....AGAIN!
    Took a 250 mile ride to visit the grand kids.
    The Good - great visit, rig handled well
    The Bad - front tire went flat 2mi from home (that could have been much worse)
    The Ugly - reason for flat, 2-3" split in rim :hair

CRAP!!!!!!
  7. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    yikes

good luck with it.

It will be interesting to see how you feel about all this a year or two down the road.
    draperg1 likes this.
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    Oh shit ! It's probably weldable aluminum, I know how happy I'd be , keep a stiff upper lip !
    draperg1 likes this.
  9. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch.
    I wondered how that metal would take the working needed to make it straight.
    Did it get annealed anywhere in the process?
  10. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    About time to bite the bullet and buy something else. You think you could find a steel rim the same size?
    If its any consolation, I'm thinking about taking my 6" EZS auto tire off the front and fit up a moto rim/tire. Im thinking I want to go with something easier to steer.
    brstar and draperg1 like this.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most (if not all) wheels of this type (2 or 3 piece) are formed by spinning, a few are stamped. The Centerline (2 piece) type wheels are all spin and are malleable and not prone to cracking. The Centerline wheels we use in off road racing are 6061 T-6 and we often take a sledge hammer to pound out big dings from rocks. I've seen them crack on rare occasion but we've welded the cracks with 5356 rod. If the wheel is going to be heat treated then 4643 rod should be used as the 5356 rod is non-heat treatable.

All that being said I believe those look like 3 piece wheels and the rims could be stamped so I have no idea as to which alloy is used to make them. A picture of the crack could help with the analysis.
    davebig and brstar like this.
  12. draperg1

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the first repair guy did and would not believe him if he told me. I talked to the second guy today and he thinks the first must have used heat which is a no no on that rim. When he got it only minor movements needed to be made. The hub and machined rotor carriers are good so I'm looking to replace rims with something more substantial. Have emailed Stroker and a wheel manufacturer in the UK that was mentioned in the EZS gone bust thread. May have to go with an auto tire but we will see. Anybody with other suggestions, go for it.
    Bobmws and Ridn3 like this.
  13. draperg1

Oddometer:
    The crack is almost invisible, do not think I could get a picture. It is about 2-3" long. Found it when I tried to pump up tire. It is a 3 piece bolted together with 30 or so bolts. Would love to find steel rims.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  14. draperg1

Oddometer:
    With the scooter tire in the least trail position it steers very easy, almost too easy would love to have a midway adjustment. May be my next project after fixing the damn wheel.
    High Octane likes this.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Thinking out loud here -- if you are using a scooter tire might there be a scooter wheel that would work?
    Bobmws and draperg1 like this.
  16. draperg1

Oddometer:
    The culprit! IMG_20201107_100723661_HDR.jpg Well I have googled, searched cannot find anything that will work as yet. Dave told me at the beginning they made the wheel but ordered the rims and that could take up to 3 mos. The mc wheel was a 4.5 x 15 & the auto wheel a 5.5 x 15. At this point I would take either. Have asked LBS if they know the source and would be happy to purchase through them. The wheel, hub, carriers etc., has all the engineering so if rims can be sourced should be easy. But for now........:fpalm
    Strong Bad likes this.
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
    You need Strong Bad's advice but I'd be off to an experienced welder who had done aluminum repair find out if it's weldable with the proper rod if so drill the ends of the crack and weld it. Ruminating won't help, welcome to the world of modifying things.

I feel allot better about my steel wheels now.

Ok scooter tire guys with leading links you pay for an extra beefy front end, large tire contact patch, if you have upper body strength issues the cycle tire will help, but I'm not for giving up contact patch is I don't need too especially on a road rig. If you want to run a motorcycle tire why bother with trail reduction is trail reduction and there's less expensive ways to do it.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    That looks like it is cracked along the grain of the aluminum where it was stretched when formed. You might think of perhaps doing a dye penetrant test to see if there might be other cracks developing on the opposite side of the wheel where the grain will be in the same direction. Drilling the ends of a crack is always a good idea to provide stress relief. I would gouge it out with a carbide bur and throw a weld on it with 5653 rod. If it is a non-weldable alloy, you will know it as soon as it cools, and you'll know if it was savable or not.

If it does take a properly done weld, I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    Bobmws and davebig like this.
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    He actually maybe the worlds foremost authority ! :-) Without patronizing him to much he has more real world experience in allot of fun area's !
    How he choose that name and got the lovely woman to marry him is a mystery !
  20. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Well with SWMBO, it is a mystery, just plain old lucky I recon.

As for the name, I really wanted "Trogdor! The Burninator!" but it was already taken. So I had to settle for Trogdor's creator, the very irreverent Strong Bad. Either one seems to fit my online persona?

Hey Strong Bad, can you draw a Dragon?:

Bobmws likes this.