Happy 70th birthday to me!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by draperg1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    At this point I would go to the auto rim but have not been able to find a supplier for either. Would love steel rims. If I repaired I wonder if I would always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. Hey HO you said you wanted a mc wheel, wanna trade? :-) Any suggestion on where I could could go for custom work using the hub and mating to a rim. EZS used a 5.5 x 15" for the auto tire a and a 4.5 x 15 mc wheel.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody's Wheel Works seems to be rather popular for custom wheel builds. He can be found over in the vendors section or better yet try this:

https://woodyswheelworks.com/
    Bobmws and draperg1 like this.
  3. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going to put a 17x3.5” MC front rim from a Suzuki’s SV650 on mine for a try. All it will take is a new set of bearings and a couple of aluminum adapters to increase the width by about 30mm. And a tire. I already own the rim. I just ordered the bearings and aluminum for the adapters. Should take no more than a 1/2 day to get it all fit up. But I’m off to TX for a week but I’ll post up what happens when I get back.
    If I were to stay with a car rim I think I’d look for a 15x4 or 4.5”. Everyone warned me that I wouldn’t like the 6” EZS that I have. (Thanks DB). I even stretched a 165 width to fit but it still steers a bit heavy. I don’t think it would be much harder to fit up a narrower 15” car rim to replace the 6” EZS that I have. But I already own the MC rim. More to come.
    draperg1 likes this.
  4. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    That wheel has been stretched and shaped at least two times, at least once by someone who may not know what they were doing. Then it cracks in an unrelated area. I am not an engineer but I can take a hint. No way would i be comfortable using that wheel.
    Bobmws, brstar and draperg1 like this.
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm Aluminum always has been and is crap if it flexes allot it breaks, they build planes out of it, flat bed semi trailers things that flex allot. If it's weldable fix it (you won't know till you try) and enjoy it or talk to a heat treat guy and ask for recommendations. Take it apart and have a wheel builder build you a steel rim to go on your center section.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. draperg1

Oddometer:
    That's kinda my plan. Now a question for all you wheel/tire gurus. I know the problem with a 15" auto tire on a bike rim but what about a 15" bike tire on an auto rim. I have found 2" rim lips that may work ( 2" + 2" + 5/8" thick hub = 4 5/8", very close to the 4.5" I have)?????? They are a 30 bolt pattern, not sure if it will mate up with my hub. IMG_20201108_094857422.jpg
  7. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    The issue is with the height of the beadlock. Isn't your current rim designed for an auto tire? And you have a bike/scooter tire mounted?
    I would measure the height of the beadlock on your current aluminum rim and copare it to the steel rims you are looking at.
    If the bolt pattern matches your hub, the worst you might have to do is machine the beadlock a bit.
    MC-Car bead Seat.jpg
    Strong Bad, rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  8. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi @draperg1 , thanks for the IM on your front wheel sorrow, a bad run of luck with that. I've sent your photos and wheel info to Ad to see if he can identify the manufacturer of your modular wheel and will let you know what I learn. May I also suggest that you contact the local importer/dealer for EML Sidecars and Trikes. I owned a fine EML Roadster and it had wheels that looked just like yours. I know that both EZS and LBS has ordered modular wheels from EML in the past for highway sidecar kits. The US importer for EML is:

Hopefully, they may be able to assist!
    Bobmws, rg sw wa. and davebig like this.
  9. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Well the mystery has been solved. First the rim lips used by EZS are automotive rims. I found some rim lips from a UK company SSR. After emailing back and forth confirming measurements they can supply me with what is needed. Polished or unpolished with no valve hole in one side. Cost will be $350US. I opted for unpolished. They said they believe the wheels are old Compomoto wheels, anotherbUK company. Found their website but could not find rim lips. The wheel hub has two large o rings that seal the rim. The 30 bolts are 7mm x 1.0 x 35. Anyway I seem to be on the way to recovery. Thanks to Mike LBS USA for searching as well. Thanks to ridn3 for finding the rim lips. IMG_20201109_131221657.jpg IMG_20201109_100347198.jpg
    Bobmws, rg sw wa., LBS-USA and 5 others like this.
  10. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you've managed to trade $$$ your way out of an unfortunate situation.
    Having new rims will mean the rest of us can relax and stop stressing about your wheels not being all they were cracked up to be.
  11. Mechanista

Mechanista Board Certified

Oddometer:
    By-the-way...
    Happy birthday ya old pfarte!
    rg sw wa. and draperg1 like this.
  12. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Good stuff, hopefully, a final fix is on its way. Best of luck with it, you deserve this!
  13. High Octane

Oddometer:
    So when the new rim is all bolted up how wide will it be? What width of tire will fit?
  14. draperg1

Oddometer:
    It will be the same as it was 4.5", but I could have gone with 2.5" rim lips for a 5.5" . EZS offered the 4.5" for a MC tire and the 5.5" for a175/55 15 auto tire. I have decided to try a 145/65 15 (4-5" rim recommended) and I could always go back to the 160/60 15 mc tire. You could change your wheel to a different width. Is yours 5.5"?
    rg sw wa. and LBS-USA like this.
  15. High Octane

Oddometer:
    I measured mine at 6” but maybe it is listed at 5.5”. I tried to fit a 145/65/15 but I couldn’t get the bead to seal, so I went to a 165, but it still took a bead blaster to get the bead to seal. You give me some hope that I could order some new parts and get down to a 145. However my current plan is to fit up a 17/3.5” motorcycle rim and use a 130/17” motorcycle tire. I went this narrow because I drove Drones rig with a 130/17 and really liked how it steered. But he has the DB Dedome mod not a LL front end. It’s all part of the hunt.
    Bobmws, draperg1 and rg sw wa. like this.
  16. draperg1

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 145/65 recommendation is 4-5" per tire rack, that is one reason I decided to stick with the 4.5" (2" rim). They offer rim lips from 1.5". I had the 130/70 17 with a Claude trail reducer on this rig but it weighs 1200 lbs. Wasn't bad but always wanted a LL and it is much easier.
    Bobmws, rg sw wa. and High Octane like this.
  17. draperg1

Oddometer:
    BTW while doing all my searching for wheels etc I noticed Boxer Metal in CA was a EZS dealer, so I emailed them as well. To my surprise I received a call from them this afternoon. Very nice guy, talked for 15 - 20 min, the interesting thing is he did not know that EZS had gone belly up. He was not surprised though.
    Strong Bad, Bobmws and rg sw wa. like this.
  18. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Aside from the tire difference, wouldn't the difference in steering ease be a result of the amount of trail reduction rather then method?
    Or would the rigidity of the LL be more resistant to side forces?
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  19. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Yes you are right. I doubt the Dedome mod or the LL will be much different on steering effort. I hope to reduce trail a bit with the shorter wheel & tire but I expect the biggest difference to come from the reduced tire contact patch of the moto tire. With a likely trade off in tire longevity. The other unknown is what is my exact trail going to be with the smaller wheel/tire diameter and will it be too little and not stable. But I do have the second position on the LL for adjustment.
    Bobmws, rg sw wa., davebig and 2 others like this.
  20. draperg1

Oddometer:
    According to SSR my rims should arrive 10-14 days from receipt of pmt. The wire transfer was initiated this morning so maybe in a couple of weeks........:ricky