Happy Trails Racks

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by boyscout, Jul 21, 2002.

1. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Got my Happy Trails racks for my KTM Adventure on Friday. They took awhile to get as they were in the process of changing shop locations when I ordered them. They notified me of this up front, however, and the people were friendly and easy to deal with so no problems.

[​IMG]

These are the Katoom racks painted in KTM orange, made to protect the bike and exhaust as well as to support soft bags. They are not designed to mount hard bags. I'll be using Orthlieb paniers. In the box with the racks were two copies of Dual Sport news but no instructions. Seeing as I installed them at 2:00 am after getting a lift home from the the bar, some instructions with big pictures and simple words would have helped :bluduh . Actually, the racks were easy to install once I acknowledged the fact that they replaced the stock rack as opposed to augmenting it. I was a little disappointed at first, but now like the clean look of the rear fender and the one inch more clearance it gives me in throwing my leg over.

The racks are extremely rigid and well made. Fit was just about perfect. For around $200 bucks including the custom paint color, I must say I am quite pleased.

-BS
  2. Jaybird

Jaybird Dilbert Impersonator

Oddometer:
    Is that fancy fuel cell mounted to the rack?
  3. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I called and ordered the same rack yesterday and asked Tod about what you stated above. Tod says that the stock rack is supposed to bolt to the top of the Katoom rack.

I was bummed out to hear that it would be three weeks befor ethey could get my rack made...:cry

Since I can't use the Orleibs w/o thr Katoom rack... Does anyone know of a tail-bag that will fit the Adventures measly stock rack? I might just have to hack up my old GS rack and mount it to the top of the stock one, if I'm careful I might be able to make the Marsee GS bag work... But that'll have to wait until my fever is down and standing up isn't agony...:(:

Later- Scary
  4. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Here is a closeup of the forward mounting point for the Katoom rack.

[​IMG]

Notice how it is a tube which the bolt is inserted into. The stock rack has similar tubular mount points that are spaced just wide enough to fit the subframe. It definitely won't fit over the Katooms and I couldn't come up with a solid way to mount the Katooms over the stocker. I have an idea to change the mount points on the stock rack to fit under the Katooms. I may have that done when I do the kickstand.

-BS
  5. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    Boyscout, what's the story with the left vs right mirror?
  6. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I called Tim w/ Happy Trails and pointed him to this discussion. He said ''Hmmmm, I wonder where we missed the boat on that?".

I also went outside and measured the width of the stock rack's side mounting points and emailed them to him. I guess he's going to try and fix it... I hope so, cause I want to use both racks when the HP Katoom shows up.

-Scary
  7. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a sweet looking bike BS.. I would love to lane split that thing in SO-CAL. I am sure I would get some funky looks!

Nice ride makes me want one!
  8. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Needed a new mirror and just went with the cheapest they had. Somewhere I saw some machined aluminum mirrors that I was thinking of going with, but I can't seem to find them anymore.

-BS
  9. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Cool, let me know. I'd sure like a solution as well. One possibility is to remove the tubes from the stock rack and add a flat piece of steel with a hole drilled in it. This could then slide underneath the Katooms.

-BS