1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Unless they changed it, shipping is FREE!

I did not have a store anywhere near me when I ordered mine
  2. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up at the store, so not sure about shipping.

Not sure about the 1 1/4 hitch either - not famliar enough with trailers to advise. Maybe someone with more experience could tell you.
  3. D'Artagnan

D'Artagnan Sharp and Pointy

Oddometer:
  4. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:

I looked at trailer in a bag andhad two concerns:
    1) Price: I think it sells for about $1200, vs the $350 i spent. Plus you can use the Harbor Freight trailer as a utility trailer - although this may not be important to everyone.

2) Ride Quality: I don't see any springs on the trailer in a bag. What happens if you hit a bump or pothole?
  5. D'Artagnan

D'Artagnan Sharp and Pointy

Oddometer:
    $1200? :huh That certainly seems like a lot. What am I missing here? I was intrigued by the compact storage, you could throw it in the trunk of a car if needed. It seems a read somewhere that the bike suspension is supposed to smooth out the bumps in the road.
  6. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    1 1/4 inch hitch is considered class II - up to 3500 lbs. You do not need class III - 2" hitch.
  7. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the exact trailer. It does fold up very nicely, and takes about 2 ft. of space from the wall.

The 12 in. tires say 55 mph on the rim. I used the trailer to haul my XR650L from Fort Collins to Pueblo (170 mi. each way) in the snow :bluduh for neduro's dirt riding class. I went 75 mph most of the time. I didn't even know it was behind me; it worked great.
  8. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    I looked at the Harbor Freight models, but there build quality scares me enough on hand tools (which I own more than a few of), let alone something I'm going to be towing at 60 mph with a few thousand dollars worth of bike on it. I paid a couple hundred bucks more and went with a Snowbear 8000. I bought mine from a guy who used it to move from Ohio to California, but you can find them Costco and Home Depot. They run around $600.

http://www.snowbear.com/html/8000.html

The fore/aft gates can both be laid down to extend for a longer load, the rear gate doubles as a ramp. and there are plenty of spots for tying down. The tongue can be extended, and you can tilt it for loading long-wheelbase items (snowmobiles) or dumping in a pinch. After the initial investment for the Chinese inmate-built trailer, decking, rails, better bearings, and tires you'll just about be at the cost of a Snowbear. The build quality is better and the tires are not the Cheng Shin junk you get on the HF. I repacked the bearings when I got it and try to do it about every 3k miles. I hauled a KLR, CR500, TRX250 quad, and a lawnmower on it from CA to WA with zero problems. I think it's rated at 1500 lbs. :clap

But you can't fold it, so that might be a turn-off. :cry
  9. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Exactly - that's sort of the whole point of the HF trailer. If you don't need that, there are a lot of other trailers to consider.
  10. hava98

hava98 behind the Orange Curtain

Oddometer:
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you have to cut the sheet of plywood in half to allow you to fold the trailer? Appears that way from the pics, just wanted to make sure. I think I'll have one of these in my garage this week.

Thanks!
    hava98
  11. Beamklamp

Beamklamp TACOCAT Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks damn cheesy in that neighborhood.
  12. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you have to cut it in half. Home Depot will do it for you. :deal
  13. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a smaller version of that trailer, looks to be the same manufacturer. I took the leaf springs off, lowered it, added a full length rail that extends a bit over the end. It's a great little trailer! Priced right and stores easily....

I've used it to tow my 1150GS, (a bit large for the unit) but it works perfect for the XR650.
  14. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer:
    I think you just physically remove the plywood.

-Eff
  15. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    No - the plywood stays on. Tthe trailer just folds over onto itself. You can see it in the pic - the plywood is painted white.

Make sure you position your eye hooks (for straps) in the plywood so they don't contact each other when you fold it - that allows it to fold more compactly.
  16. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    No kidding. :jerko

That's why you fold it up and store it in your garage - so you don't have a trailer sitting in your yard
  17. element

element Time to roll

Oddometer:
    Great trailer, I replaced the bearings at 9,000 miles... the new ones from HF are better then first set.

I also do not uses the trailer sides to save weight and air drag

Aluminium ramps save weight too and that helps the smaller 4 cyl engines pull the trailer at highway speeds
  18. kevbo

kevbo Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer:
    They will every time if connected as in the photo. To make that style work, you need long chains. Pass the whole chain through the loop on the hitch, spiraral the end around the standing chain at least twice, then hook the hook in a link of chain, and pull the whole works tight. Works great untill your buddy borrows your trailer, hooks it like in the photo, and returns it with links of the chain ground down, (from dragging on the pavement) and the advice that "you need to shorten up those chains!" :hair
  19. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder - I've still been using it just the way it is in the pic - looks like I need to fix that before making any longer trips.
  20. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer: