1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

that's just crying out for a Harley :evil
  2. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Porco Giallo,
    That's a nice trailer! I didn't know about it when I bought mine. It's a good alternative - I think the decision really comes down to how much you want to spend and how many miles you are going to put on it.

I'm using mine as much as a utility trailer to haul concrete, BBQ's, wood, household goods etc as for the bikes, so it's working out well. I definately need the rails.

Your version certainly looks more sturdy in certain areas, as you pointed out. Better axles/bearings would be nice. RDubb mentioned he broke his fenders on your version of the trailer - losing one on the highway.

I also had a fender break off - due to metal fatigue at the bracket right where it attached to the trailer.

Looks like there are at least two decent options for folding trailers under $1K.
  4. caffeine

caffeine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hate to bring up an old thread, but curious if anyon has taken any of these trailers on a longer trip?

I am looking for something "smaller" (as compared to an exclosed 8x14 monster that i have to tow with a dodge 2500 heavy duty gas eater) to tote my KLR around with my 6 banger blazer......potentially out of state on some few hundred mile rides....

anyone taken the HF folding trailer (great for me since i have limited storage) on a longer ride? i figure the KLR is 400lbsish...should be ok.

-Rob
  5. gman350

gman350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a HF 4X8 folding trailer. I got the one with 8" wheels, rated for 990lbs. I've used it to haul 2 dirtbikes, 12 gallons gas, and all the associated riding gear on several 1400+ mile trips. Ran 80+, 0 issues. Make sure you get the load distributed right so the trailer doesn't wobble. I've also hauled my 600+ lb Concours on it. Mine ate the bearings this past year, after 7 years of hard use and no maintenance. For the price, and the ability to fold up, you just can't beat this trailer. Granted, if I had a good place to store one, I would have bought a heavy duty non-folding trailer from a reputable manufacturer.
  6. RT jim

RT jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 quads and a bike on a 4x8 trailer:eek1 ? Stack em?
  7. C8Chris

C8Chris Motard!

Oddometer:
    The only issue I had with mine is that it has been pretty rust-receptive (as opposed to rust-resistant).

The folding up thing and the price are what makes it!

No problems at speed, either. Given a choice, I'd rather haul a bike in the back of the truck than on that trailer.
  8. C8Chris

C8Chris Motard!

Oddometer:
    As a rule of thumb, however, you should ride whenever and wherever possible.
  9. caffeine

Oddometer:
    anyone what knows me knows i do probably TOO much...the problem i run into is i have a big setup for long hauls..but now that i have the KLR, i ride in the pine barrens which is about 75 miles away....in the winter months it sucks layering up to ride down...then shedding 30 layers, putting on an offroad helmet, chest protector, etc. to ride offroad.

-Rob
  10. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    I have the same trailer- it's paid for itself several times over with loads of wood from my GF's parents house, a couple of moves, saving on mulch delivery etc.

Love it.
  11. Diesel_GSA

Diesel_GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used mine for the first time yesterday picking up my GS-Adv 380 miles away.

It performed great. Much better that my old little 4x6, pre-built, wire mesh floor trailer you see at Hardware stores, lowes, etc.

Tracked straight and true, didn't bounce around all that much while unloaded. Good value IMO.

[​IMG]
  12. element

element Time to roll

Oddometer:
    This is a Chinese trailer and the guys over on the Chinese bike thread say the Chinese stuff is crap and won't last a month. I have this trailer and they maybe right because after 3000 miles I replaced a wheel bearing! $4.99... damm.

I expect trailer bearing failed because I loaded my sons Chinese 200cc on the same trailer next to my DR650. That Chinese dirt bike is so bad it even broke my trailer.
  13. caffeine

Oddometer:
    stupid stupid question, im picking one of these up tomorrow morning........how big are the boxes? can i fit them in my small 2door blazer with the seats down?

actually my girlfriends toyota matrix has even more room with the seats down.
  14. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Pop a bearing out, then look up a Bearing House (supply) in your phone book.

Get some Timken or FAG bearings. Nod much $$

Good grease, off ya go.

Chip
  15. caffeine

Oddometer:
    another silly question, doesnt look like you have a license plate on yours???

god i dread the DMV...haha
  16. Diesel_GSA

Diesel_GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have a plate on mine.
    The kit includes a plate mount that can be attached to the trailer.
    Pretty sure there is a title in there somewhere too.......I've successfully managed to misplace mine.:norton
  17. C8Chris

C8Chris Motard!

Oddometer:
    Some states require you to plate a trailer. Some don't.

I got a "certificate of origin" in the box. Put the trailer together and got it inspected and legalized.
  18. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It comes in several boxes, all of which will fit in a Blazer or Matrix.
  19. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look up inte's posts (and pics) for neduro's Buena Vista dirt riding class. He has one of these trailers, and hauled 2 or 3 bikes on it from CA to CO (1400 miles each way). He wasn't worried about the trailer.
  20. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This little HB trailer has quickly become a favorite....I've put hundreds of trouble free miles on it plus it folds and tucks away! With floor space I've saved in the garage (and $), I plan to add a HB lift soon!