Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Originally coated mine with a rubbery spray-can coating, similar to Bedliner. It held up well underneath, but flaked off on the sunny/rainy side (top).

Got Behr extra-textured paint at HD, which is only about $35 a gallon. Marine deck paint is over $100 per gallon. BEHR PREMIUM Extra Textured DECKOVER Coating

There is a foam roller recommended. It comes out of the can very thick so spring for the foam roller.

Pressure washed the old finish off, then used a wood cleaner and scrub brush. Let it dry in the sun for a day then applied the Deckover. Put the first cost on too thick: put on just enough to cover and recoat. Had just enough to do the top 4x8 with two coats.

Nice grainy surface. Most Behr paint sucks but had it on for a year and it’s holding up really well.
    dad2bike likes this.
  2. garandman

Oddometer:
    Did some maintenance on the trailer for some upcoming trips.

Took the wheel and fender off to address some rust. It’s just surface but want to stop it. Wire brushed, then sprayed with a rust neutralizer product.

[​IMG]

I took a chip from underneath the frame rails that had to pass for original color. Rustoleum Regal Red was a shade darker. Bought #7762 Sunrise Red, just a shade lighter.

[​IMG]

Comparison.

[​IMG]
    Hughlysses likes this.
  3. garandman

Oddometer:
    Also due to upcoming trips (with my new GSX-R750 track bike!) decided to replace the bearings, races and seals. We’d inspected the existing bearings and seal and they looked fine: this was purely preventative. The HF hubs are 25mm while most hubs sold are one inch. So the bearings and seals can be a challenge to find.

We bought: Amazon.com: XiKe 25mm Axle Wheel Bearings Kit, 30205 25x52x16.25mm with races and Seal TC 30x52x10mm

US made bearings, $17 per wheel.

FYI, torque spec for lug nuts is 85-90 for 4 bolt and 90 ft lb for 5 bolt
    dad2bike likes this.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with Rustoleum Bed Liner, it's sold in pints/quarts some places but not my Walmart anymore, bought it at Tractor Supply last time.
    I've even painted the entire trailer with it...
    :lol3
  5. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember using that on something before. Don't remember what. I picked up the BEHR stuff and plywood and hardware.
    I'll be waiting until it cools off a bit before working on this project. 115* is no fun to work outside.
    kenstone likes this.
  6. garandman

Oddometer:
  7. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are photos in this thread. For example:
    [​IMG]
    garandman likes this.
  8. garandman

Oddometer:
    Thanks, found that post #699.

Trying to figure out how far out from center to mount the two chocks. Measured the two bikes we have to transport first, and their bodies are both about 24” wide. One is a sportbike so the bars aren’t much wider. But the Triumph bars measure 34” across, maybe even 36”.

So I’m thinking if I mount the two chocks 4” to the outside of the centerlineo (of each half of the width), the bikes won’t touch.
  9. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Lots of options, even staggering the chocks to get the bikes closer together.
    A bar across the front that extends out at least a foot on both sides will spread the hold down strap angle for a more secure transport.
    I've strapped the handlebars together between the bikes for rigidity too.

I suggest you layout the chocks on the garage floor, and park the bikes on it, and adjust it to establish the best mounting points.
    it's what I have done,
    garandman and Lil' Steve like this.
  10. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    When I have two bikes on, they are usually leaned slightly out from each other.
  11. garandman

Oddometer:
    Mounted them 4” from outside edge and 9” from front. Ordered some aluminum tube to create and outrider for tiedown.
    kenstone likes this.
  12. garandman

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the hub grease caps are a standard size? Lost one on the way out to a track day.

As the hub bearings are metric not sure if they are different.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Standard. You can get them from most auto parts stores.
  14. garandman

Oddometer:
    Not the case, they ar3 metric bearings and seals.

eTrailer says it is 52mm or 2.047”. I measured 2.069 which is 52.5mm.

The bearing caps in the auto parts stores were 1.980” (just over 50mm), standard for a 1” bearing.

I bought a plastic cap to go over the whole hub to get me home. Ordered some 2.047” Bearing Buddies that are supposed to fit.
  15. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I once used a cut-off Bud can and duct tape as a bearing cap while on a trip... it's been on there ever since.
    dad2bike likes this.
  16. garandman

Oddometer:
    Got in the Bearing Buddies (model 2047) to replace the dust caps. Perfect fit.

Standard US 1” hubs have a dust cap diameter of 1.98” (50.3mm). The HF hubs are 52mm (2.047”). Visited a number of auto parts stores, none of whom had the metric bearings, seals, dust caps or bearing buddies required: had to order online.
  17. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    Passed somebody with a HF trailer the other day, sitting with the wheel cocked on the axle, and he'd clearly had the inner wheel bearing fail. They were on the side of the road with what looked like the kids in the little SUV and all their vacation stuff on the trailer. All I could think was how they'd just probably ruined their vacation.

It's the inner (trailer side) bearings that fail first and need regular checks and lube.
    doc moses likes this.
  18. garandman

Oddometer:
    We placed 10 D rings (4 down each side, 1 front, 1 rear) and they proved really useful. But they started to corrode, particularly those behind the axle.

Found the same size in stainless steel on eBay, and replaced them all, using 1/4-20 stainless bolts and nyloc nuts. $25-30 upgrade, well worth it.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  19. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    This weeks HF flyer has coupons for 3 sizes of trailers.

EDIT- Trailer tires too.
  20. garandman

Oddometer:
    I only find 62647 and 62648 on website?