1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 67L48

67L48 Dangerously Incompetent

Oddometer:
  2. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    About how big is the package that this thing comes in?
  3. BobDobalina

BobDobalina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two boxes, both of which fit in the back of my wife's Honda Fit. One is about 4' long, the other not so long but taller and wider. Both are pretty heavy, but they'll load 'em for ya.
  4. BobDobalina

BobDobalina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious, when you say you got two sheets of plywood for decking, did you stack them to make the deck, or use one sheet for the deck and the other for the sides? Was wondering whether it would still fold with a double-layer of plywood on there.
  5. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for about ten years. One big CC trip and a lot of trailering bikes around Colorado. Took it to Death Valley and back in the Spring(too much snow to ride).
    About 4 years ago I replaced the plywood deck. I decided I would not cut the sheet in half as I never folded it anyway. The one time I did fold it, when I got it unfolded I pinched the wires to one of the tail lights.
    Other than greasing and replacing the bearings I haven't done much.
    I do carry a spare tire though I haven't had to use it.
  6. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Life is Good !!! Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
  7. BobDobalina

BobDobalina Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    The Harbor Freight trailer I got (and is still in pieces) has little grease fittings on the hubs, inside of the wheels. Are those usable to squirt grease into the bearings? Or do I really need to pull the assembly apart?

It will only be used for a short 200 mile trip the first time out, and I'm looking to reduce my turnaround time where I have to assemble the trailer, fix the bike, and bring both back to school. Oh, and I might have to install the hitch there as well.:huh
  9. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

They're OK to grease the bearings, but they're very cheap grease fittings, mine broke right off. I replaced them with better fittings and that's the way I grease the bearings. Grease them before going on your first trip.

I've got more time and money in my trailer than it cost me but I'm happy with the end result. It can haul 3 bikes but it did require some additional work. I use the E-track for hold down points and it works well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    I've bought several of these trailers over the years and have never had a problem other than worn out tires. They've all been the 8' models, some with 12" wheels and some with 8". I have 2, 8 footers right now, 1 with tall sides used as a garbage trailer, one flat bed used to haul my ultralight and dirt bike. On the flat bed I cut and extended the axle and modified the hubs to accept 14" car wheels.

Just yesterday I picked up my first 4' one to tow my little dirt bike behind my Suzuki Swift (like a Geo Metro). It was on sale for $169 and I used a 20% off coupon for a total of $134. A few bits of metal from the scrap pile made it into a nice little bike trailer. I flipped the axle over and put it on the top side of the leaf springs to lower it a few inches. The Suzuki pulls it just fine. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]
  11. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
  12. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    What is a good paint to paint the plywood for weather resistance?

I'm going to be snagging some plywood that has been used for a bed for a couple years, and figure I should paint it, as it may end up stashed outside for a good portion of the year.
  13. BobDobalina

BobDobalina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me where to get those replacement fittings? Mine broke off too.

Also, when filling with a grease gun, should I fill the cavity all the way?
  14. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:

Oddly enough, Harbor Freight sells an assortment box of them, I think it was $5.

[​IMG]

If the threads of the old fitting are still in there, this works well for getting them out. Also, just a few bucks at the store.

[​IMG]

When greasing, I pull the grease cap on the axle and when I see the bearing covered in grease, I stop filling.
  15. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I would not waste my money on that crappy set, they break off very easy!
  16. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    Works just fine for a broken grease fitting.
  17. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    Some of the smaller, less 'corporate' parts stores have selection boxes, as do TSC's. I'll probably pick them up from TSC, as I have greater faith in their stuff.
  18. moterbiker

moterbiker Gypsy diver

Oddometer:
    I will chime in here as well, I have had one for at least 6 years now. When I got it I cleaned the bearings and repacked them with Mobil 1 grease. Haven't had any bearing issues, ever, I do carry a spare set, they are like $3 at Walmart.
    I have changed out the tires to 12 inch car radials, unfortunately nobody makes 12 inch car tires anymore so I can't buy another for a spare. In order to mount the larger car tires I had to raise the fenders about 2 inches.

Right off the bat I did replace the hitch, mine never worked smooth enough that I would trust it. I used 3/4 pt plywood for the deck which I painted then sprinkled sand all over then painted again.
    I added tie downs at the corners and also added a rmovable outrigger tie downs at the front. I have towed from Raligh to Orlando with 2 DL1000's on the thing at 80 MPH. I don't think I will do that again though becasue the trailer can't handle the weight in a corner and the whole thing flexes a lot.

It takes about 20 minutes to unfold and set up by myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. klrmoto

klrmoto thumpering along

Oddometer:
    I rented a single rail kendon trailer and I was really impressed for the 5 days I used it (at ~$40/day). At times I am tempted to spend $1000 dollars on a used kendon tailer that I will use very seldom ($2000 dollars new).

When I decide to buy a trailer the HF folding trailer will be the ticket with the 12" wheel upgrade.

Any idea how much it weighs?
  20. BobDobalina

BobDobalina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks. Will try to find something similar, as I have no idea what size the broken one is.