Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said I was going to do it. Though my RS250 and the second track bike I plans to get won't cost anywhere near $10,000.
    I thought I'd just go nuts with the power drill. Eventually I'll get some holes that work :-)

I actually bought some stainless bar and round. I'm going to cut the round, weld onto the bar and tap. Cut oversize holes in the plywood bed to allow these bosses to protrude through at 3 chock positions so I can bolt down the chocks from above. I hate having to go under the bed with a wrench.
    Already own the HF. After spending countless hours building and customizing it, I don't fancy selling it and starting over. I have a TIG setup so will probably do yet more mods.

The 5x8 NT is a nice option if you're starting from scratch though I'm surprised it doesn't come with larger wheels as stock.

I think I'd prefer to widen the bed over the metal bar, need to find that post so I can ponder if there are issues I'm not considering but the metal bar like you did is a good option, removable when you aren't carrying two bikes.
    garandman likes this.
  2. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one of the HF trailers, I don’t remember the model number, but it takes a full 4x8 sheet for the bed and I believe has 12” wheels. I’ve hauled a couple different big bikes (BMW 1150 & 1250 GSA) and at times felt a little sketchy(me not the trailer) going around corners with all of that weight up high. I would be comfortable hauling a couple of lightweight trail or track bikes no problem as my BMW was nearly 600 pounds and two light bikes might balance out the load a little better than one big heavy one.
  3. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Neither is a piece of square/soft /thin walled/extruded aluminum tubing, further weakened by holes drilled thru it ...
    but I'm guessing you knew that too:dunno
    :lol3
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Lots of info on axle flipping, early on in this thread, I do it to every trailer
    You'll need to raise the fenders too, but worth doing to lower the center of gravity of the deck/trailer.
  5. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to look back in the thread as that would seem to address the only concern I have about my trailer, aside from the fact that I am trusting my precious bike to a Harbor Freight trailer!
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might I suggest you move the spare tire to the inside of the triangle frame? I found that it significantly reduces your clearance to the bumper when backing.
    kenstone and garandman like this.
  7. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Stronger than a thinwall hollow aluminum tube. As to the cost of what you are tying down to, you have a $300 trailer, and two $30 wheel chocks, using wood is likely not the weak point in your trailer.
  8. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, that’s 1/8” wall 2” rectangular 6061. Bolted to the steel frame. The Safety Factor is something over 4. The eyes would probably pull out first but I’m avoiding the experiment to the best of my ability.

The reason I got a new trailer is I didn’t like the potential instability with two bikes. I say “potential” because I never calculated the COM: it just seemed to be too much weight up high.

Doing some rust cleanup, prime and repaint this week and it is going up for sale. Good trailer for the money but the Aluma is closer to what I needed, and I also bought a Sprinter van.
    Wreckchecker likes this.
  9. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    With recent mentions of a Northern Tool Trailer, something I own and have modified, I thought some here would benefit from me posting pics of it.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612541_200612541

I have the steel version of the 5x8, not the aluminum, as steel has proven to be easier to weld/modify/repair and less prone to stress cracking.
    I weld every joint after completing the bolt together assembly, for extra rigidity.
    I did the usual axle flip that lowers the deck some 4+ inches for greater stability, this can be done with common hand tools/no welding and costs nothing.
    I also extended the tongue for easier backing/more stable towing, added a swing-down jack also, done with common hand tools and no welding.
    Another std mod for me is moving the taillights to the fender, with electric box covers as brackets, that gets them higher up for visibility, and out of the crunch/shin bark zone.
    I mounted the loading ramp on the front of the trailer via the stake pockets to act as a gravel guard.
    RampS.jpg
    TngExtJckS.jpg
    TLightBrktS.jpg
    :D
  10. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "This handy trailer meets or exceeds all road-ready specifications and DOT requirements and is ready to hit the road at up to 45 MPH."

lol

Interesting though the aluminum version has the same specs and blurb about meeting DOT requirements, but doesn't mention a speed limit.
    kenstone likes this.
  11. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    wow, I'm impressed, you had to go deep into the manual "Lawyer Speak" to find that CYA tidbit.:clap
    So I'm guessing you won't be buying one anytime soon.:hmmmmm

That manual seems to be a cut and paste of general info from all the trailers NT sells, omitting and adding random stuff that makes no sense (to me).
    I read this too
    • Before attempting to fold up the trailer, make sure it is on a flat, level, solid surface and chock both tires.
    • Never attempt to fold up the trailer without assistance.:dunno
    … um, trailer doesn't fold :fpalm

JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    It has 8 inch rims...small but that's what it came with....it's no great trailer materials wise....Just adequate to haul a dirt bike behind a small car....taken it from BOULDER to Truth or Consequences, Salt lake and many trips around Colorado....towed by a Toyota Solara. convertible so the trailer had to be minimal
  13. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    the northern tool 5x8 aluminum, 180lbs, 12 inch rims, will switch to 13, now just need aluminum channel on top for the tires to ride in and some set up to tie them down

Attached Files:

garandman, JimVonBaden and kenstone like this.
  14. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Wow, frame side rails are one piece. must have come in a long box.
    I suggest you wear out the 12" tires before replacing them.
    I put 12" radial car tires on my trailers, twice the thread depth of trailer tires, more UV tolerant, half the price, 3x the mileage.
  15. garandman

Oddometer:
    I’ve been cleaning up my 1750 prior to selling. Got some Scotch Brite wheels and sanded all the flaking powder coat and surface rust down to bare metal. Sprayed it with a rust neutralizing primer today, and will finish painting tomorrow. It will be a solid little trailer for someone, and the last steel trailer I ever buy....
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I figure wheel bearings and grease will make the 8" wheels work fine. Most of my trailering would only be a few hundred miles at most, usually maybe 110 mile trips from Delaware Ohio to Dover Ohio - some fine dirt/gravel roads in the east there.

But most often hauling yard waste down the road or hauling some lumber from a store a dozen miles away.
    garandman likes this.
  17. garandman

Oddometer:
    What are the 1750 lb capacity fixed 4x8 selling for used these days? Mine is a 2015, has new tires, wheels, bearings, seals, Bearing Buddies, LED lights, and any loose powder coat was wire brushed off and repainted. Also has a spare and carrier.
  18. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the 90997 but I thought the quality was poor. For example the wheels are riveted on. I ended up buying these. The wheels have bearings each side and secure with a removable bolt. They don't include nuts but the stock nuts (12mm) from the original trailer casters fit. The HF 90997 ones above use a bizarre 1/2" fine thread nut that's not included. The only thing I wish is they they came in a faded red to match the trailer :D
    IMG_20190520_175008400.jpg
  19. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I just took a trip east, hauling my trailer with a MC loaded on it, to NH and back from Idaho for 5,200 trouble free miles.
    Here's an old pic with a different bike, bike hauled cross country is bigger/heavier road bike:
    NewAxle_S.jpg
    I built this in 2015 from 40x48 HF kit that I never assembled, just started modifying it out of the box, using most all the steel in the kit, and have hauled both dirt bikes and road bikes all over the US.

The only mods since the original build has been replacing the plywood deck with 2x4/6/8 scraps, a repaint with Rustoleum bed liner, and a tail light swap to the LED's HF sent me.
    NuDeckS.jpg
    When I 1st built it, I posted a pic in another trailer build thread because someone asked me to and the trolls began tearing it apart, then a covert mod decided to make a thread out of my post, looking like I started it so the scenters could continue the critique/name calling.

9Dave eventually locked that trumped up thread after the feeding frenzy died down.
    I just re-read it and found it quite funny but might not be funny to others.
    Anyways, here's a link to it if you care to waste some time...
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/kenstones-trailer-build.1048367/
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I remember that disaster of a thread. I always thought your ideas on that trailer intriguing.
    kenstone likes this.