Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Nice build, thanks for posting
    A couple of things to "improve" it a little, re-locating the axle to the top of the springs (axle flip) will get you a 4"+ lower deck height at no cost, and reversing the fender bolts will get the extra bolt length away from the tires and on top of the fenders to discourage people from sitting or standing on those fenders.
    I like the extruded steel decking :clap
    Post pics of the cover when you finish it!
    :lol3
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I’d rather the trailer sat higher. One of the downfalls of these little 4x8’s is you can’t see them behind you if you’re driving a full size truck. It’s too easy to forget they’re back there, start backing up and ... crunch. DAMHIK :baldy
    If I were pulling it on the road all the time, or loading mowers, etc., then lower would def be better. But higher is more comfortable if you’re unloading 50# bags of feed or hay.

As for the fender bolts, coming from an aviation background, putting bolts in “upside down” is almost sacrilegious. I have trailers up to 12T so the odds are I’ll never get close to the 1200# rating on this one. But if tire clearance were an issue, one could cut the excess bolts off under the fender (there isn’t much), or remove the bolts all together and weld the fender together. Keeping the trailer high might even discourage some nitwit from trying to step up, or maybe not :(
  3. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Oh, OK
    never mind …
  4. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those that have modified theirs to accommodate two bikes and added a rail across the front to put the strap hooks out wider: How much did you add to each side? From the pics I've seen in this thread, I'm guessing somewhere between 9"-12" overhang (66" - 72" long)?
  5. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am about to mount 2 wheel chalk for carrying two small dual sports. I was going to mount them all the way forward. But then realized it would add tongue weight. I figure the center of weight of the bikes should be just forward of the axle maybe? Any idea where that basicly is? Maybe mount footpegs just forward of axle or something like that? Am I over thinking this a little?

Also how close are you guys mounting the bikes? For the bars to clear echother they have to be basicly at the edge of the trailer. Or I can start the bikes a little. Any good pictures of two bikes mounted up on these?
  6. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    You can load both bikes, un-couple the trailer from the tow vehicle, then level out the trailer by blocking up the tongue but have the tongue resting on a bathroom scale to measure the tongue weight.
    If the trailer wheelies when un-coupled move the bikes forward :hmmmmm
    Adjust the bike location accordingly to get the tongue weight you want.
    Usually 100# or more for me:beer
    edit: it's "chocks"
    Tall Man and Night_Wolf like this.
  7. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Any bar across the front will become shin barkers and from my experience, are not really necessary.
    I usually just remove the corner bolt and replace it with an eye bolt with a washer top and bottom.
    I also use a hole saw and cut thru the decking or just cut the corner off at a 45, so the eye bolt is tightened against metal both top and bottom.

Use these to keep the forks from compressing, or a block of wood:
    https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-fork-brace
    And straps with clips (like carabiners) on the ends to keep them from jumping off the eyes and soft ties on the bars.
    Like these:
    https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-extreme-duty-soft-hook
    or
    https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-soft-hook-tie-down-extensions?rrec=true
  8. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I guess you've changed your mind from: https://advrider.com/f/threads/harbor-freight-trailer.123255/page-48#post-35492100 ??
  9. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
  10. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no way I'd be comfortable carrying my two race bikes without the bar adding about 1ft to each side. And yes I've taken a chunk out of my shin.
    kenstone likes this.
  11. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is going to be about a foot above the floor of the trailer, so it may take out my nuts. :jack
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    go for it...could take you out of the gene pool though :imaposer
    Here's a pic of an old Holesclaw trailer that has tie down points above the deck.
    I had one once but gone now, nice with coil springs and shocks.
    Here's a pic I stole off the net:
    Holesclaw2.jpg

OHjim likes this.
  13. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to see both setups if you get a chance to post them. I searched this thread for your posts and found your neat folding ramp, but didn't see picks of two bikes loaded.
    kenstone likes this.
  14. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of pics of older builds
    There is this one though where you can see 2 chocks/staggered.
    It's a Mirage built local...might be 5' wide though:dunno
    Spare.JPG
    OHjim likes this.
  15. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must be a kids bike on that right side, given how far the chock is set back. Here are my two on the trailer (sorry no front view) FB_IMG_1565323049380.jpg
    OHjim likes this.
  16. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    crazybrit - what casters are those? I need to replace mine.
  17. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Me either...with race/road bikes
  18. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got them on Amazon. I linked to them in a previous post. Way more sturdy than the larger HF ones and use same nuts as the original caster. They do need rotating by hand to clear the deck when folding unfolding
    kenstone and OHjim like this.
  19. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Nope 2 road bikes, no kid's bike hauling going on there.
    Both bikes in your pic have a lot of deck behind the rear wheel that could be utilized for stagger.
    Taped off the trailer deck on the garage floor an put the bikes on it to determine where to position the chocks.
    Here's the same stagger with bikes in my enclosed trailer:
    AwningS.jpg
    just sayin'
  20. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered riding your street legal bikes