Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Just ride your street legal ROAD bike over this way east of Portlandia and you'll get it.
    East/South out of Idaho is endless flat/straight/no shade boring highway for many miles.

And on a duel sport or trail bike, once you have done all day rides on every trail/dirt road out of the house, to ride anything further out the best choice is trailering.
    That will get you to the "new territory" early in the day instead of riding trails to get there.
    just sayin'
    :hmmmmm
    Checkout the DRIVING routes from Boise to Vegas, Boise to Moab, Boise to anywhere :fpalm
    thanks for the quote/troll post:imaposer
    I can't imagine how you can quote/troll this post too, but suspect you will find a way :jack.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    … or your "race" bike to the track :dunno
    Same reason, too far,
    Don't want to hear about not having tags as an excuse:type
    :lol3
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a man who seems to have no problem dishing it out, I figured you'd have a thicker skin.
    kenstone likes this.
  4. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    $349 coupons are out for the 1700lb 4x8, got the trailer sitting in my garage. Hopefully I can get it together this weekend.

Thinking I’ll deck it with 2x6’s instead of plywood for strength and longevity purposes.

I have no real interest in folding this thing up, it’ll live under my covered porch or in the barn.

Anything I need to know before I start assembly, besides the obvious of repacking the bearings?

Part of me wants to add weld to the joints, or at least put a button weld on the bolts to keep the nuts from vibrating loose. I’m a welder by trade with a fully equipped shop, so no issue whatsoever welding anything. But at the same time I know that certain vibrations will crack welds and I’m not an engineer.
  5. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    2x6's are a good choice for decking :clap

Yes, wire brush/weld any/all joints, after squaring up the frame.
    The axle flip (lower deck height) and stronger fender brackets are the mods I do during the build.
    I also mount the tail lights on the fenders, out of the shin bark zone.
    Search my for my posts in this thread and you get pics of all mentioned mods and more...if you are interested. :hmmmmm
    :lol3
    Edit: If you're not going to fold it, bolting (or welding) together the 2 center frame members that are over the axle will make the trailer more rigid.
  6. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a one I got used with the smaller 8" wheels. I looked at getting the larger 12 HF wheels but they are only available in the stores so I cant get them online. Closes store is a 2.5 hour drive.
    Amazon has 4.80 x 12 4 lug wheels from eCustom for $98 shipped for the set of 2. 4.7 stars, a little better weight rating than the HF, look to be a little nicer. Has anyone used them?
    Probably all the trailer wheels are made in the same factory to some extent. But I don't want anything that will be total crap.
  7. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've bought spares at Walmart in the 12" 4-lug variety.
    rc51kid and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where to get wheel vearings and lugnuts for these trailers? I am sure if i dig around enough i can find it but i leave for a cross country trip in a few days. I am repacking the vearings now but one of them is a little rough. It would make me feel good to have a spare or replace them. Also one of my lug nuts threads are buggered. The stud looks good. Anyone know where to get a replacement lug nut or what the thread pitch is so could maybe run a tap to clean up the threads?
  9. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I carry 2 sets of bearings in my truck, I've been towing HF trailers for over 10 years and never needed those spares.
    I adjust/assemble them on the loose side by hand tightening the castle nut snug, then back it off past where the pin hole 1st lines up to the next cotter-pin alignment.
    I've never had bearings even get warm adjusted like that.
    I bought those spare/replacement bearings at NAPA, take one with you to the store, not sure about the lug nut though but take one of those too.
    I hope you don't have to change the outer races, that's not fun.
    :D
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take one of the bearings to NAPA, even if you walk in with the whole wheel.
  11. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Memory says the wheel bearing is a 3205 bearing which is a metric tapered roller bearing. They are not that hard to find. Not quite a standard 1" trailer bearing.