Harbor Freight Trailer

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Thinc2, Mar 5, 2006.

1. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure which wheels you are getting but for the HF trailer's 12" wheels, there's a few posts:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/harbor-freight-trailer.123255/page-54#post-39654386
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/harbor-freight-trailer.123255/page-54#post-39668314

etc. Search radial tires....
    old1959 likes this.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Good choice :clap

Those fenders may need modifying for that 12" tire swap.
    Since you don't have 12" wheels, I suggest you buy trailer wheel/tires sold any many big box stores including Walmart, wear those out, and then shop for car/radial replacements.
    They sell both 4 lug and 5 lug wheels trailer stuff at Farm Stores, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Lowes, Home Depot, even at Discount Ramps.
    Going straight to car radials would require buying just wheels and tires separately and have them mounted, a more expensive venture I'm sure.
    jmo
    :lol3
    Edit: Just visited Port-A-Chopper website and they list a 12" tire upgrade for $62
    http://www.portachopper.com/order.html
  3. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keystone, good comments. The optional fenders are suppose to work with both the eight and twelve inch wheels. I had a trailer years ago with twelve inch tires that I bought at Walmart, Carlisle tires I believe, pure junk and almost every trip out I was on the side of the road fixing a flat. I don’t mind spending more money to get decent tires.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Yeh I went to the Portachopper site and saw the fender info, so you should be good.
    I've always wore out stock trailer tires without incident and they wore out fast because of the shallow tread depth.
    I'm happy with the 12" radial car tires I have now, I have been almost (Idaho) coast to coast with them twice without any drama:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/harbor-freight-trailer.123255/page-54#post-39654386

I have found any 12" car rims/wheels have too much offset to run on a trailer, and the 4 lug/12" trailer rims are narrower the 5 lug/12" rims.

Yes, updating the tires, 1st thing, for the peace of mind is priceless.
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever change the trailer tongue? I have some 3” channel and am thinking about throwing the factory tongue away and building one. I tried to weld a jack on the side of the tongue and it twists way too much to actually use loaded. Thinking by the time I piss around and brace the factory tongue I could just go ahead and build a better one and be done with it.
  6. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I rebuilt my little one I added a couple of feet to the tongue, which makes it track a lot straighter.
    [​IMG]

I also sandwiched it between two pieces of 3" angle so the bed could tilt. It made getting this water heater home a one person job and I didn't need to muscle the big trailer out of the back yard.
    [​IMG]
  7. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did on my fold up trailer. It was srprisingly easy. A lot easier to back.
    jules083 likes this.
  8. jules083

Oddometer:
    did you keep the V shape? Any surprises you think I might run into?
  9. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think mine had a v nose. I drilled 2 holes IIRC and bolted it to the trailer box. I made a boat trailer out of it and sold it with the boat.
  10. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    That one may have been a Northern, now that I think about it.
    jules083 likes this.
  11. jules083

Oddometer:
    either way, I just cut the tongue off my Harbor Freight trailer and am laying out the new one right now. Should have pics in a few hours or so
  12. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the light, too short tongue on my three rail mtcy trailer with a longer, stronger square tube piece of steel. Then added a jack/wheel stand and box for "stuff". Huge improvement all around.
  13. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I extended the tongue on a Northern Tool trailer and used square tubing bought at a local steel yard.
    It was a simple bolt-on, no welding this time around.
    The tube extends back from the the old hitch location and is bolted to a the cross member under the spare in the pic.
    TungExtend.JPG
    dad2bike likes this.