Hard Pannier WARNING I should have known....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by OzRob, May 12, 2013.

1. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There have been many questions asked in the past regarding hard or soft panniers, advantages/dissadvantages...

If you intend to trail ride...go for soft panniers....or this may happen....
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpine-Adventures/i-JPq2nvz/0/M/IMG_20130506_163916_819-M.jpg

https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpine-Adventures/i-pVC4TrV/0/M/IMG_20130506_163908_474-M.jpg

A group of us were riding up Mt Pinnibar in the Victorian High country...the bike fell over on a steep section on loose rocks, my ankle got caught underneath the pannier, In case you are wondering the bike is OK.
    https://ozrob.smugmug.com/Other/Alpine-Adventures/i-F6DJHVB/0/M/IMG_20130505_120828_176-M.jpg
    My ankle was realy sore but I could still walkish, with two more days of trail riding till home....I'll be right just a twisted ankle...
    Changing gear was fun...had to use my heel to change up gears...

It turns out that I broke my Fibia in two places and chipped my Fibia....Next time the Andy Strapz panniers will be used...
  2. Russ

Russ Let's ride.

Oddometer:
    Heal up fast, mate.

+1 for soft bags
  3. Bulldust

Bulldust Bulldust

Oddometer:
    Soft bags? Looks like you needed Air Bags. I guess you will be in plaster for a while.

Good luck.
  4. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Tony T

Tony T Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a bugger, Rob .But exactly why I've never liked hard panniers. That and the fact that I see so many mounted a long way back where they have a big affect on the bike's handling.
    For me, push bike pannier bags are the go.
    Small enough to stop me being tempted to take more crap than I need and less likely to cause an injury like you've got.
    Heal fast. :D
  6. racca

racca wandering aimlessly

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell! :eek1
    What kinda boots were you wearing?
    Hope it heals fast!
  7. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wearing Forma boots...the pannier crushed just below the ankle protector, unfortunately my leg twisted when i fell, thus the broken bones,
    The Doctor advises that the injury is common for skiers too.
    I am getting a moon boot fitted tomorrow, and will be out of action for about eight weeks....:cry:cry:cry
  8. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear Rob, hopr you heal fast! Unfortunately a few of us have learnt this lesson the hard way! Use Andy's or Steel Ponies on the trail, hard boxes are for when yer on the rod.

Good luck!
  9. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fkn'ouch!

Well that makes me think twice about my Happy Trails boxes.

Might have to find some soft bags that will attach easily to the HT racks, my MotoDry ones on the KLE don't fit up well on the Strom.

Heal well mate.
  10. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a bugger,hope it don,t hurt to much, now we know why they put angles on the bottom of ally boxes, may have helped then again it may have not, every situation is different.
    I have Andy,s bags and steel ponies but I put the 20l plastic jerry can inserts inside so holes don,t get rubbed in them from the heavy things at the bottom jerries do have a slight curve on the corners.
    [​IMG]
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your accident to be sure.

But it's a 50-50 debate.

There is a bike-deer collision post here somewhere.... if the guy would have had soft panniers, his leg, thigh and more would have likely been ground off. The rigid pannier stayed on the bike and bridged his "parts" from skidding along the pavement. I have had similar experiences where the rigidly mounted bag or compartment was integral in saving me from further or any injury.

For trail riding, yes, soft bags are the go. But to have a blatant, all encompassing synopsis that one way or the other is a "must have" for all situations is simply not an accurate statement.

No right or wrong answer, other than maybe run a soft bag on one side and a rigid pannier on the other.... best of both worlds... :evil
    (kidding of course)

Again, sorry to hear of your crash.
  12. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    UGH!! sorry for the pain and bruises!! heal quickly!
  13. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    I agree with this - for long distance/long time (month/years) travel soft bags are a pain - but for trail riding they are much better. Some hard panniers are better than others too. For example I have just changed from Gobis to Jeeses nearly as good as soft bags for weight placement (close and forward) and much better than the wider, boxy panniers to have your leg hook under (I know from experience).
  14. blade07

blade07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's excatly why I ditched my Formas. :puke1

Now have Sidi Gortex adventure and feel a whole lot safer in them. :clap

Hope you on the mend soon. :freaky
  15. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    I've had a leg trapped under my panniers a few times, each time being thankful they are soft - Great Basin by Giant Loop and tough as nails.

As yet I've not been in a situation where I've wished I had hard panniers.

Oh and motor cross boots, pain to walk in but look after my feet/lower leg fairly well.

How about ditching half the gear you've got, traveling light makes quite a big difference?
  16. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Sooner or later, someone's going to say, "But if you were riding a KTM, you wouldn't have fallen off..."....

Two days riding with broken bones is a good effort! Good grief - what were you thinking/drinking? - coz I need some of that! Hope it heals fast and well.
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble is, you don't have to fall off to do this sort of damage:cry At ktm speeds, all it takes is a rock or tree stump to jump out of the bush and grab your foot. Even with full mx boots, no panniers, and a ktm matt bashplate:cry

Ps no way would I dirt ride with hard panniers.
  18. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    any appointments open today Doc...:lol3
  19. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea, it's raining so I'm going riding.
  20. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Ah I have ridden across Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia with them and heap of back country roads in North America along with a lot of Central Aus. Most of the time I don't even know they are there, sand is the only time they suck.

If I was doing a Colebatch ride I would go soft panniers but anything less hard ones are just fine.

Overall weight and its placement is more critical I think.