Hard Panniers Census

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fawudd, Dec 30, 2009.

?

What Kind of Hard panniers do you have (select more than one if you have multiple) ?

1. Happy-Trail

2. Hepco & Becker

3. Jesse

4. Micatech

5. Pelican/Caribou

6. Stock Luggage System for my bike

7. Touratech/Zega

8. Made my own

9. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have read a host of opinionated threads on aluminum panniers since I am in the market. However, rather than passionate love/hate statements, I am starting a poll thread to see how people have voted with their wallets in the ADVrider community, particularly if you ride a GS. I'm sure there are brands that I have left out, but no offense intended. So, what say you ? If you own hard panniers, what type did you purchase ?

Oh, by the way, I tried to stick to options mentioned as available in the US.
  2. norcal1

norcal1 Cameron Park, CA.

Oddometer:
    Micatech, then there is everyone else. Great product and customer service above all. If I had to buy another set they would be my only choice, period.
  3. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Pelicans - best bang for the $$$$.
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Plastic, yes? I thought Al was part of the consideration.

Pelicans make any bike look like an old Connie.
  5. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Pelicans :thumbup . Function over Form...
  6. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails but i need some racks for my boxes... 2001 DR - Let me know.

Thanks -
  7. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    There are several top box and side case threads going on right now. I'm going to reserve my rant until they are merged or until this thread builds a bit, but ...

#1. If you want a steady customer, then don't give them crap about how a 4 year old set of expensive aluminum luggage is outdated and you don't have spare parts for it.

#2. Where are the large top boxes?

#3. I have 4 bikes and working on bikes 5 and 6. Why do I need to have 18 pieces of luggage? (Not literally, but you see my point).

Rant off. For the moment.
  8. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with Touratech due to the many accessories and can mount other manufacturers stuff to them as well, and the ablity to mount stuff on the lids and still open them. Yes they are expensive, but versital. Bega bags mentioned in this thread are about the same price as Touratech. Zega's are 210 Euro each for 41 liter and Zega Pro's are like 230 Euro each. Right now the Euro is $1.45.
  10. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    Pirate, I am with you on the multi-bike thing, having 4 bikes from the same manufacturer !! All we need is a universal mounting system to solve the issue, but the vendor community may not be inclined to re-engineer their products, or to sell just based on differentiation between the boxes. If this were to happen, it prolly needs to come from an upstart or a coalition.

Even within manufacturer solutions (eg: BMW) there is no ability to mount perfectly good luggage you may have from another bike or even the same bike from a few years earlier. With a universal mounting system, we could see R&D get redirected toward truly innovative luggage rather than figuring out how to build mounting systems for the 2012 T4000 Wunderlust-R.

Rant truncated...

PirateJohn Wrote:
    #3. I have 4 bikes and working on bikes 5 and 6. Why do I need to have 18 pieces of luggage? (Not literally, but you see my point).

Rant off. For the moment.
  11. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    what is the point of going through so much trouble making a quality product and them making it so frugly?
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Micatech: Function over form. For the oilhead GS's, no ugly pannier frames either, just sleek bullet mounts. I'm thinking of getting a set of the new V2's for my 800GS which are also available for a bunch of other bikes. Easy to load and unless and unimpeded access to the contents with it's semi-side loading opening, with a deep lip below the door hinge anchoring my stuff inside so it doesn't fall out when you open the door.
  13. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    micatech :puke1

by the bye, once mounted properly, i have no trouble taking my Zegas from the GS to the V-Strom, etc.

order them unmounted and with a little trial and error (you'll have to mount them further back on one bike then the other) and shazam. :clap

why aren't Vern Worldbeater panniers on this list?

http://www.projectvnd.com/
  14. vtgs

vtgs GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer:
    Micatech is the way to go. Best customer service. More space then you can ever need. Quality throughout. Ugly is poor customer service; lousy fit and finish.
  15. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    They used to be before Caribou raised their prices.
    Also the quality of the Caribou system leaves a bit to be desired. The racks are nicely powder coated while the brackets which attach to the bags are cheaply painted. After 4 years they're rusting and pealing badly.
    Side loading cases are a PITA too.

My next panniers will likely be the new Jesse's which are comparable in price to the Caribou system.
  16. peanut_gallery

peanut_gallery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Jesse side cases and a pelican top box. Love the pelican, hardly ever leaves the bike. My jesse's leak, wither im moving or not :cry, but i still like 'em. And they make great crash protectors when off-road, but i guess any pannier would do that.
  17. PG007

PG007 AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    Bushpilot - Pelican 1440 Top Loaders with Happy Trail mounts on a stock Ulysses rack for under $300.00

[​IMG]

Add ten bucks (USD) more not including fuel bottles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    That is a cool aux fuel solution. What was your source for the fuel bottle containers ?
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I have taken to ordering bmw accessories when purchasing a bike as they are then covered by the 3 yr/36,000 warranty. Never had to have work done on the panniers of my 12gsadv, but I did get a replacement of a 2.5 yr old gps.

And I like the bags.