Harley Bronx and other new variants

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Snowbird, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    DO NOT care for that slammed cruiser/bobber thingy, but this would be OK by me.
    Perhaps with the CR heritage this might be a possibility and appease new and Faithfull to a degree (or just piss them both off)
    Oilhed likes this.
  2. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love this one, and it would look great parked next to my SDR.
    Put the 1250 in it, and get it on the dealer floors- this thing will sell.
    Non-Harley guys like it, that is exactly what they need- to get buyers in the door that would have never have walked in a Harley dealership otherwise.
    I genuinely like this bike, and would buy one if it wasn't stupid expensive.
    Hell, most of my riding gear is already orange/black/white as I'm a KTM slut.
    travlr_45 and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    yes
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Like the Pan America, this is a gateway to a whole new world of customers for HD. They've GOT to build the Bronx. They could offer a free Yankees cap with every purchase. :D
  5. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They'd have to ugly it up some more to compete with the Diavel :D
    Monkeyshines and AZbiker like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I think Diavel is beautiful but then again I traded it for a Scrambler...
  7. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

To me, the CR could be a kit to convert a Bronx. Not many really like riding cafe racers. The cool ones are uncomforatble. Building them however, is maybe more the point for many. If HD offered the Bronx as a base, they could sell aftermarket to build a CR.
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
  9. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Super Duke R to me. The Pan Am looks like a KTM Super Adventure that collided with a '76 Cutlass.
    The new Zero SRF looks suspiciously like a KTM also.

Is owning a KTM like owning a VW Beetle back in the day? As soon as you have one, you see them everywhere.
  10. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Or it could come with the sidewalls pre-slashed. :lol3
  11. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    A '76 cutlass with a Hoover upright in the trunk.
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    At least with ex-pats in Japan, they sure as hell are.

I think last ride I went on (on a brief break from being grounded) there were 5 1290s and a 790 Duke out of 8 riders.
  13. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters, since it's unlikely to see the light of day, but there is not one thing I like about that bike.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think they are looking to sell to the faithful, why bother they'll buy another cruiser or tourer, or the old Buell owners, that was a long time ago and they aren't riding street fighters anymore. It's to get younger riders who have no interest in cruisers or tourers on a Harley. The kinda people who are looking at Aprillia, Ducati, Triumph, KTM these days.
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love these two but would prefer both motors/Tranny be silver.
  16. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Bronx was probably killed because the 950 engine was. Even the speed triple is a 1200 nowadays so a 950 is too small

The 1200 Bronx might be underway anyway
    KSBUTLER44 and davidji like this.
  17. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy and interested if they took the Street 750 motor and put it in a good chassis with good suspension and good ergos. Get the weight down to 450 lbs or so and the 750 would have plenty of power to be entertaining. The 975 would have had plenty of stonk. I suppose marketing and the internet require a huge engine.
  18. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to go too far down this road because this'll just devolve into another "the problem(s) with Harley Davidson" thread, but c'mon, to claim/think that "if [Harley] build it, they will come" is a little disingenuous--especially for a guy like you who has been in the hobby for so long and on this forum and through all the various Harley threads. Which is to say, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I point out that, on the one side, there are the Harley "faithful", and on the other side are the Harley haters, and only a comparatively modest number of folks in between. Therefore, Harley's prospects for their new engine(s) and any new bike platforms depend entirely upon three possible paths: converting the faithful to some (sufficient) degree, converting the haters to some (sufficient) degree, and/or eking out sufficient sales from the "in betweeners".

So, of the three paths, that last one is pretty much a stopgap and/or ancillary measure, because there ain't a whole lot of "in between" when it comes to the HD brand--certainly not enough to fully support/justify the $$ involved in bringing the new engine/bike platforms to market. And that second path--converting the haters--will take time, and ultimate success is far from a sure thing. Which therefore leaves converting/convincing a sufficient number of the faithful as the most pressing/immediate approach to successfully establishing their new engine(s) as the basis for subsequent bike platforms.

Hence their PA PR touting "adventure touring" and the extensive narrative to position this hybrid classification as a traditional core element of the Harley Davidson mythos dating back to the earliest days of the brand. Coupled with the pending release of the teased new power cruiser, the intent is clear: work on converting the faithful first, then try to convert the haters subsequently (the "in betweeners" aren't sufficient to worry about and will sort themselves out anyway). Which brings things full circle to the shelving of the Bronx--because Harley don't see it being an immediate success at present and don't wish to risk any potential fallout (a la the long-running Buell struggle/debacle) damaging how the new, gateway-to-their-future engine is perceived.

Which is all to say, Harley *are* looking to sell to the faithful--for now--which is precisely why they aren't bringing the Bronx to market--for now. If/when the Bronx--or something like it--hits the showroom floor, *that's* when you'll know that they're trying to get riders who have no interest in cruisers or tourers--be it "adventure tourers", or otherwise--on a Harley.
    BCC, JohnnyWaffles and TonyKZ1 like this.
  19. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you for the most part. The reason the 1250 Custom will come out first is to replace the Sporster line. Harley used to sell 50,000 Sportsters a year now it's down around 25k or so because of the success of the Indian Scout. The Bronx should come out next because they definitely want to build in this new engine and platform.
    The Harley faithful will be the toughest sell though. On the HD forum there was no mention of the Pan America launch at all until I posted on there Friday. Even the Indian forum had a thread on the Pan America but not the Harley forum smh.
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't think of any Harley people that want a street fighter or ADV bike except multi bike owners who also have a Harley cruiser or tourer. Even the sportster people for the most part were first bike or first Harley owners. If Harley added dirt bikes it would be for dirt bike riders not Harley people. So why not street fighter or ADV riders. As for the Ads and PR it's a mix of they can't help themselves and trying to sell a brand.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.