Harley Bronx and other new variants

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Snowbird, Nov 5, 2019.

1. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    I like the black hole bike for what it is, a muscle cruiser. for me, the density add to a compact muscly look, kind of like a lower first gen Vmax. Obviously, not a common opinion on this thread.
    I would prefer a little more seat height and mids that are right below the spine of even a tiny bit rear set. However, having said that, I wouldn't buy one unless I won the lottery. That seems highly unlikely because... maths. It's even more unlikely due to the fact that I don't play the lottery because... maths.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a little late to this party. I would fall into the In Betweeners. Here is my take. I like all motorcycles and like most, I have my preferences. Currently BMW and Triumph. I don't care for cruisers which leaves out 99% of Harley's line. When Buell was around, that took me into HD dealerships to check them out and even took a few demo's at Vintage Motorcycle Days. I actually liked the Ulysses' a lot! But I had just bought an 1150GS so wasn't in the market. By the time I was Buell was gone. Nothing left at HD to really interest me or my roadster, sport tour or ADV style of riding. Yes I keep multiple bikes.

As I have drifted away from tall ADV bikes, out of the new offerings that HD previewed the Bronx was the one that had my interest the most as perhaps a replacement for my Bonneville as a second bike to what ever touring bike I had. Since the Bronx was axed, I no longer find myself lured to a HD showroom to kick tires or buy. I thought the strategy of the 3 bikes was way better than what they did with Buell. As mentioned it tied into HD's early development of what now is ADV riding with the Pan Am, it tied into the Sportster Roadster heritage with that power cruiser and it appealed to folks like me who has lusted after a Monster forever and would like to buy a HD. Now nothing again.

I do hope the PA is a success and that they do start introducing some models that would interest me before I get too old and give up riding.

Rick G
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like that's what they've been doing for the past couple decades... look where they're at now. It worked for the first decade (2000s), but seems to be biting them in the rump now. They do need to target sales beyond what their present target is to survive. If they only stay with what they have the market will likely shrink even more. There are too many nice used Harleys out there that look just like the new ones, for half the price.
    Rick G likes this.
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    They can dump a grand or more in electronic crap going to the smaller displacement. The Yamaha has no modes, no tricks other than ABS and the usual electronic stuff for a speedo, tach, temperatures, odometer and trip meters. No cruise, no modes, no traction control, etc.

Plus Harley has one advantage, the name. The name is worth more, kind of like how Triumph is worth more than Kawasaki when it comes to the classic twins. In fact in dual sports the KTM riders would only buy a Japanese dual sport of equal performance if it was a couple grand lower, perfect example of paying more for the name on the tank. Harley could do a grand more than the comparable Japanese bikes and get it.
  5. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys don’t forget the labor cost is different. Those other bikes are built in Thailand where as the Bronx is built in York PA. For Harley to really have a comparable product around the same price point as the competition they need to build a plant in a right to work state like Alabama or Kentucky.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Again - Harley Davidson, they can get more for the bike than Honda or KTM or a lot of others, being a U.S. bike. If it proved out to work well you would likely see it sell in adequate numbers, the Buells didn't do too bad after they worked out the bugs. This could do it too.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  7. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Batter up?

“UPDATE April 20, 2021: Zeitz says this second Revolution Max model will “redefine the premium middleweight cruiser segment.” The word “premium” here would suggest this will not be positioned as a replacement for the Sportster line, though that remains to be determined. Also interesting is that neither Zeitz nor the presentation referred to the name “Custom 1250,” which suggests that the production name may yet be announced.”

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-fea...-glide-revival-and-custom-1250-confirmed.html

Didn’t they recently re-register the Nightster name?
    Wouldn’t it slick if they applied some of the PA’s adustabilities into a cruiser- height adjustable seat/multiple seats, maybe adaptive height cruiser? sport mode increases ride height thereby cornering clearance? Add optional position foot controls and a Bronx seems unnecessary.

Updated preproduction photo
    05BD1F4D-3B00-4BB2-A638-46D9EB50F029.png
    Richy and Wallachian Spikes like this.
  8. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems the Revolution max platform would be too $$$ to manufacture as a replacement for the Sportster. I think the Iron is around ten grand, how do you pare seven thousand dollars off the cost of the Pan America.
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for the Cafe or Street Tracker. Please no forward controls.
    CbDude, Pabst, c_m_shooter and 2 others like this.
  10. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I gather, the cruiser that looks like a Fat Boy screwed a VRod is next up. I call it The Fat Baby.
    Scoozi, KSBUTLER44 and HapHazard like this.
  11. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
  12. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Vertical C likes this.
  13. Backlund

Backlund Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can wait with this guy....
    Screenshot_20210601-062543~2.png
    Richy likes this.
  14. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    moving up is a time honored theme. A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was a kid and you could buy a scrambler, dual purpose, or street bike from 50cc to (at least) 350cc from every manufacturer.

Yamaha just bought in with the R7 as as a step up from the R3. Honda did the same thing with the Rebel 1100.

Brand loyalty isn’t unique to Harley, but definitely a bigger gap. I’ve ridden HDs along time along with a LOT of other bikes. I’m going to wait for a mini Pan because: 1) after a couple GSAs, I finally figured out that a 600 lb “dual sport” isn’t for me; 2) for me, the current line of middleweights isn’t that compelling.

so there’s a least one Harley guy waiting for the MoCo to get small. Maybe not a compelling business case for Harley, but I can still hope.
  15. markk53

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking they need to not be afraid to diverge from the normal. Like the Pan America, they aren't going to dilute their custom and touring bike sales with that bike. Same if they did a smaller engine Bronx or other. Now making a smaller soft tail whatever might cut the big bike sales, but who is going Adventure or Naked bike instead of one of the cruisers or tourers? Highly unlikely.

I think that is some of the mistake with their 500 and 750 rides, should have been different. Anyone who wants a Harley cruiser would go a bit more for a Sportster or a used Sportser than the 750 or 500. If the 750 had been like the Bronx or their street tracker or cafe model that appeals to other riders. I'd have taken a serious look at their street tracker if it was a 750 without a lot of gimmicks and a reasonable price. But not the Street Rod, too much work to get the look.
  16. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
  17. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I saw forward controls. Not for me...
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  18. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking we will seethe Bronx too just a guess tho
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember hearing it's not called The Bronx anymore..........can't recall what it is called now.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  20. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They killed the VRod with them may as well kill the Bronx........
    Oilhed likes this.