Harley Bronx and other new variants

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Snowbird, Nov 5, 2019.

1. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two different style bikes with different riding positions. The Bronx is upright with rear set pegs and the V Rod was a clam with forwards.
    If they would have just put that engine in a different frame.
    anotherguy likes this.
  2. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK good I'm glad they didn't pattern it after a VRod, I was responding to Skidmarkart's comment that it looked to have forward controls.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  3. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was really looking forward to the Bronx, but I thought that they had killed it off. I like the Roadster, and I'd love to see the new engine in a sporty bike. If they can build a legit ADV bike (and from the reviews, they did a great job), they can certainly built something like a stripped-down cafe racer.
    Richy and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  4. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    I believe it’s still coming out especially since the positive reaction to the Pan America
  5. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope so, that would be the bike that I would be in the market for, if Harley were to build it. I'm still loving my CB1100, but if I could get a twin of similar displacement, I'd rather have that. Moar accessible power!
    Wallachian Spikes and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I've heard the Bronx was sidelined for a redo. Hence the new name which I cannot recall. The pandemic and resulting economic issues (but we're selling everything we can get :confused ) not to mention the new CEO have changed schedules. It's coming.
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Queens
    Kevm, HapHazard and Richy like this.
  8. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :jack :clap
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Based on what appears to be good demand for the Pan America, Harley may have finally found a path beyond the cruiser mode. It's about time!
    Oilhed, Norsman and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  10. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    Bare knuckle
  11. BC360

BC360 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the love of god, Harley.
    Make an fxrt with the revolution motor.
    I will trade in my 21 street bob for it.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    have you seen what Laidlaw has been doing, FXRT fairing on a road king…. It looks the business, and the touring platform kicks ass.
    KSBUTLER44, Richy, BC360 and 2 others like this.
  13. BC360

BC360 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was my plan for a bit, if they could put the revolution motor in other platforms, it would be gnarly.
    My street bob weighs like 650? I think
    150hp would be insanity, but I think a bike like a road king would work great
    Have you seen kruesi originals road king? Power, comfort, style.
    Big wheel baggers gotta go!
    villageidiot likes this.
  14. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it would look something like this -

[​IMG]
    Rick G, Oilhed and HuntWhenever like this.
  15. BC360

BC360 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Close, but no cigar
    Thats realistically a better build road glide.
    I'm after the old school fxrt look, with lower fairings and all but with modern performance.

This, with 150hp, modern suspension, brakes.
    View attachment 3040780
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  16. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    So from what I hear from the Harley Demo at Laconia last weekend was Harley was pumping up the Pan-American and of the Boomers in attendance literally there was 0 interest in the bike (from both H-D and non-H-D riders alike). They were all asking "Where's the F&cking Bare Knuckle? That's what I'm interested in!". Now that's from a limited crowd and in New Hampshire, but I'm sure if you extrapolate that interest on a Global scale there'll probably be similar thoughts echoed.

Indian made a great competitor to the Sporty with their Scout and have another fantastic bike with the FTR, which H-D has no competitor! The Bareknuckle (the preferred name amongst H-D loyalists) could be a viable competitor to the FTR.

The Pan American will be a swing and a miss. It's a pig and it's entering a saturated market. A saturated market with a buying base that is also moving AWAY from the big heavy complex bikes! With the modern lightweight power plants in bikes like the Yamaha T7 and KTM 790 the need for the big ADV pigs is dwindling and this is evidence on those bikes flying off the showroom floor and bikes like the SuperTenere lingering on showroom floors (you can still find 0 mile 2019s).
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Moose knuckle.:photog
  18. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    You really think the Pan America will be a swing and a miss ? Have you seen the response from the public on it ? How about on this forum ?
    pjensen641 likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    This forum is a bad gauge. You have a lot of really vocal people that say they want X bike and when it comes down to it actual sales of that bike don't reflect the interest you see on this forum. Back in 2002 the V-Rod had lots of hype and it never lived up to that hype and was ultimately canned, not exactly a failure but it also wasn't the bike to revolutionize the brand like they marketing 20 years ago. The "Street" 500 & 750 also had lots of Hype and were utter failures and bikes nobody seems to like now. I vaguely remember the Buell Ulysses having some interest on this forum but it ended up a flop and the members on this forum once the bikes hit the street began to loathe the bike.

What's the public response? I've just seen moto media/journalist fluff pieces so far. I just don't think it'll sell in the numbers it needs to. If I were gonna plunk down close to $20K on a new bike and it had to be an ADV Beast; would it be a new unproven bike? NO! I'd take the KTM 1290 Super ADV-R any day over the H-D Pan American and I think that's what most people are going to do or buy the R1250GS at that price or just opt for the Honda AT, Vstrom, Super Tenere and have a bunch of money left over. It's like Honda entering the Chopper Market with the Fury they were just too late to the game, same with the Big ADV bikes, the segment is moving towards lighter bikes and entering this late in the game with a huge beast isn't going to be the sales success H-D needs.

A bike like the Bronx/Bareknuckle might not have been the bike to save the company but it would've been better option IMO than the PanAmerica! The hipsters who were fixing up 70s UJMs into Cafe racers half a dozen years ago who didn't die on those things or give up riding altogether are moving on to their next phase of motorcycling. The Bronx/Bareknuckle would be a much more appealing choice for a well to do urban hipster who wants more bike than their ratty old 70s cafe racer but still want something unique (boutique even?) with style and heritage but not their Grandfather's Dyna or Softail. They also certainly aren't going to the large ADV bike which let's be honest are basically a Goldwing with a higher seat (an Old Man's bike for old guys that don't want to admit their old).

For H-D's sake I hope I'm wrong, but their track record over the last 20 years says otherwise...
    Matt-J2 and c_m_shooter like this.
  20. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    The V-Rod was never that popular in the US. We sold more to South American and European countries than anywhere. In the RPT were they built the engines for the V-Rod and the street only built 50 engines day vs the rest of the plant building 400+ bikes a day. Look at the Pan America groups on Facebook and you'll see people are trading in those other brands for the Pan America. Have you read any of the threads on this forum yet ?
    https://jalopnik.com/the-pan-america-is-turning-out-to-be-the-sales-success-1847011520
    https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/harley-davidson-pan-america-sales-good-start-milwaukee

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billro...arley-davidson-has-executed-a-gigantic-pivot/