Harley Bronx and other new variants

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Snowbird, Nov 5, 2019.

1. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HD Pan America Owners
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...-Owners.1501189/&share_type=t&link_source=app
  2. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those fucking PAs are piling up and they can't give them away
    [​IMG]
    Rick G, BCC, HuntWhenever and 5 others like this.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That whole push for ever larger displacement is just sad.......

A 950 with moderate weight and good tuning would be a hoot. My old 955i Speed Triple is plenty fast.

I think there's too much "It's too small, I want 150hp minimum...." attitude, then they just make it bigger and heavier and add rider aides to dumb down the power so you don't kill yourself.

I agree with Mobiker, I'd be very interested in that 750 engine in a lighter weight (450 lb) Flat Tracker package.
    Wallachian Spikes, zuma and Mobiker like this.
  4. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Respectfully, you aren't paying attention if you don't understand the demand of the PA. Look around and read the threads, or admit your blinders. There are several threads in several areas of this forum. I disagree that it is a poor gauge. It's one of the largest forums in the world, for ANY subject. They are selling every one they produce, and still pissing off people that have them on order because they cant deliver fast enough.

The trend toward smaller ADV bikes in only happening in the off-road focused segment. There are still plently of people buying large ADV bikes because they excel at road sporty touring. These bikes are NOT tall Goldwings. Have you ridden a BMW GS? They will run circles around a Goldwing. Far....FAR sportier.

Of course many traditional customers ("Boomers" as previously mentioned) aren't interested. They are after different customers, that was the whole point of the bike. Their traditional customer have 30 different similar looking cruisers to pick from if that's what they want.

As for HDs current customers that could be lured... I see 3 to 1 ratio of baggers and touring bike over the rest of the HD lineup. You think those customers would have been lured by a naked like the Bronx...not likely. The PA is a more likely replacement for a RGU and the like.

I want to see the Bronx too, but lets face it, its already outdone by the hypernakeds if it comes with the 150hp of the PA. If the styling is right, it will compete with the Japanese inline liter nakeds or something like the BMW RnineT and Indian FTR if the styling is near perfect.
  5. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer:
    Very well said
    PeterTrocewicz and HuntWhenever like this.
  6. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    If you feel embarrassed that you are one of the few schmucks that bought one, I'll take it off yer hands on the cheap. :evil
  7. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I've been riding a 1200GS for 10 years! They're pigs off-road and the big tanked Adventure versions are much closer to a Goldwing than a VFR (and I've ridden both bikes). The latest bikes with all the electronic gizmos are definitely more tour than adventure. Still for me ADV bikes are a great compromise and like I said I'd buy the new KTM 1290 ADV R in a minute if I were to drop $20K on a new bike it would NOT be the PA.

I'd love to see what the PA sales are a couple years from now. With anything new with lots of hype and marketing, initial sales are going to be strong, but you need to sell consistently for several years. I think this is going to be one of those bikes that the people who want them will get them this year and in a year or 2 they'll sit on the show room floors not moving. H-D I'm sure has poured so much money into the R&D of this bike it's going to take a long time to recoup that money.

"The trend toward smaller ADV bikes in only happening in the off-road focused segment." Until recently you could either get underpowered Singles or Beasts. A lot of guys went with the Beast because a sub40hp KLR or G/F650 single just didn't cut it. Now with 700cc class bikes with 70+hp you can ride all day, haul a pillion and really go offroad (the whole point of having an ADV bike). Sales of the T-7 have outpaced the GS in GERMANY! The best selling ADV bike in the country where the most GS' are sold! If that doesn't say something about the segment downsizing (in terms of bike size) I don't know what does!
  8. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't out me bro:beer
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  9. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was talking to a guy recently who had just bought a Vstrom 1050, got a great deal. He said the dealer told him that they sell 10 650 Stroms for every 1050. Not everyone wants a big ADV bike.
    racer1735 likes this.
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody call The MoCo and tell them to stop making the bike. The internet has spoken and canceled it. NEXT........................
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    As I've grown older I'm far more concerned with curb weight than with H.P.. I'd much rather have a 350lb. bike that makes 60 h.p. than a 550lb. bike that makes 160h.p.. Here in Tennessee the roads are pretty curvy. No need for a heavier/faster bike.
    ddavidv, zuma, KingOfFleece and 2 others like this.
  12. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

A VFR800 is the exact same weight as a 1200GS. The GS steers much quicker. The GS only gives up to the VFR high speed stability above 100 mph.

I own a 5th Gen VFR....and like it for what it is, but a new standard GS is just as fast on the road.
  13. KSBUTLER44

Oddometer: