Harley-Davidson Moto Guzzi V85 Pan America

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by kpmsprtd, Jan 12, 2019.

1. kpmsprtd

kpmsprtd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem Definition:
    • Planned Harley-Davidson 1250cc Pan America is destined for failure.
      High probability that it will never be a proper adventure bike.
      Price is way too high compared to other ADV bikes.

• Planned Moto Guzzi V85 TT is destined for failure.
      Moto Guzzi's dealer network is nearly non-existent.
      V85 is a proper adventure bike.
      Price is right compared to other ADV bikes.
    Solution
    Harley-Davidson scraps the planned 1250cc Pan America.

Harley-Davidson and Moto Guzzi join forces to build, sell, and support the 2019 Harley-Davidson Moto Guzzi V85 Pan America.

For the 2019 model, they could go with the V85 TT as planned by Moto Guzzi, with combined engineering and design for future model years.

Thoughts:
    I would love to ride a bike from these two heritage manufacturers. They can put the H-D badge on one side of the tank and the MG eagle on the other. The best of two great motorcycling worlds!!!

Disclaimer:
    If HD company politics prevent scrapping the planned 1250cc Pan America, that's okay. Go with this combined Harley-Davidson Moto Guzzi V85 bike as an additional ADV offering.
    mentalfloss likes this.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    People are sure the Pan America will fail because Harley dealers will give it the Buell treatment, not because of anything to do with how good the bike is or isn't. Putting a V85 in Harley showrooms isn't going to solve that problem. :deal

Gustavo
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :snore
    shinyribs and WooPig like this.
  4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That isn't the disclaimer I would have chosen after offering up all that bilge.
    Eddieb likes this.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did they try that before? Bought Aermacchi & MV Augusta. Didn't work out for Harley. Harley dealers don't even treat some Harley models well, you expect them to treat Italian ones better?
  6. p3ga

p3ga Rounding Error

Oddometer:
    WTF are you on?
  7. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley dealers are simply not interested in motorcycling as a whole and they are not open to change, new ideas, or other ways of thinking in regards to 2 wheeled transportation or recreation.
    I suggest that the OP visit the local HD dealer and suggest to the GM that they add Moto Guzzi to their dealership and see what the reaction is .....
    Sorry, jaded by years of Buell ownership and from those dark experiences I don't intend to ever visit a HD shop again.
    Steve W. likes this.
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Um...Go to a Toyota dealership and suggest the same. Or go to any dealership that sells one brand and suggest they sell another. Of course they will look at you like you're an idiot, because only an idiot would do that.
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  9. kpmsprtd

kpmsprtd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the current situation stands, Moto Guzzi can sell 100, maybe 200, V85s in North America. The only thing holding people like me back from purchasing one is the lack of a dealer network for service and support. Harley has an excellent dealer network and no proper adventure bike. Why not sell the V85 at Harley dealers and turn those 100 or 200 sales into 1,000 or 2,000, and split the profits?

In addition to my selfish goal of wanting to own a sweet ADV bike like the V85, I strongly desire to see both Moto Guzzi and Harley-Davidson succeed for decades to come.

Obscene thought: I admit that from a purely business perspective, Harley purchasing Moto Guzzi would be a valid option.
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because HD did have an adventure bike, the Ulysys, but even though Buell was the only division making a profit the cheese ceo canned Buell before Christmas. to add HD at the time owned Buell, treated it like a abandoned step child. Besides most those mechanics had a bad attitude towards buell n so did HD factory to a point that in 2001 someone dialing in the flywheel purposely sabtoged them, they were the only ones with the lightened flywheels.
  11. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do not want a Harley mechanic near your Italian jewel Guzzi. Harley has a lot of dealers. I would say from my experiences that a lot of dealers trying to sell leather bras does not make an excellent dealer network .

Having no dealer support is better than poor dealer support .

Go get that sweet V85 with a service manual and learn how to wrench on it yourself. I don't think it would be too difficult to maintain as far as bikes go.
    Night_Wolf and diabolik37 like this.
  12. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Umm USA is not significant to Moto Guzzi and probably doesn't care if it makes a big success there.

USA is a dying empire, Guzzi will look to the future in Asia way before the Americas
  13. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    I don't know why you feel the need of a dealer network (unless you live in a place where there are no mechanics of any kind what so ever), but if you are serious about this, I think that's a pretty lame excuse for not enjoying what you really like in life...

What are you really afraid of? Engine failure? Gearbox failure? Even if you had a Guzzi dealership network in the US, it wouldn't be much different that the one in Europe... You still need to wait for parts to show up... The world of the dealership has changed... Nobody wants dead money on shelves any more... Specs and parts are changing too quickly and too often, plus they also have to deal with cheaper parts available on Internet... Not matter what brand you ride...