Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Ride, Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I rode it the Friday before last, I had it for about an hour on back roads to the interstate. The motor is brilliant. It reminded me of an American muscle car. The motor pulls great off idle but once you get it spinning it pulls fast and hard. I was surprised at the throttle response and how quickly it spun up. I redlined it several times and it put a huge grin on my face. This is a fun bike to ride, period. It's not boring like the other adventure-type bike offerings, it keeps you engaged and awake. I found myself always wanting to wack the throttle. The brakes and suspension are excellent and the stability at high speeds is good. This is one of those bikes where you crack the throttle and you had better have some space in front of you. The TC is the best I have ever ridden, it holds the front wheel on the ground at WOT but you never even know it is on. The TC on my X is harsh and abrupt, not on this, you don't even know it's doing its thing. You just hit the throttle and it goes like a bat out of hell. I have ridden them all and I would probably buy this one just because of the fun factor and dealer network as well as the hydraulic valves. I don't do much off-road anymore because my knees and back would kill me. Mild dirt roads and gravel are about it. The base model would make an excellent touring bike for those of us that like to travel fast and light over long distances. This would be the only bike that would get me off my VFRX. I like sitting up high and with the tallboy seat and a set of risers this gets me there. Harley did their homework on this bike. I may buy the base model and add a few accessories, I may also wait a year or two to see how it plays out in the reliability area. I will eventually buy one I'm just not sure it should be a first-year model. Harley did good, I was skeptical, not anymore. This is a win for the MOCO now they need to open this Revolution Max up with some cams and exhaust, tuning, etc, and put it in a sportbike. Pan.jpg
  2. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the day dealer expects actual delivery. Said that after HD got rid of their own delivery fleet and started using Ryder I believe, it takes about a week longer than HD used to take with their own trucks.
    phughes and gobux like this.
  3. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    What other 'adventure-type' bikes did you test ride?
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't there some comment in one of the reviews stating that the windshield didn't move very well when it got full of dust and dirt?
  5. PeaceKeeper

Oddometer:
    Over the years most of them, the only one I haven't ridden that I want to is the 1290 KTM..I have to say the closest in the fun factor is the MTS or 1200 Tiger. The rest are good bikes but kind of boring IMHO. I am partial to my VFRX because of its motor, it's sweet for cranking on the highway miles, but still kind of boring. Of course, this is all subjective base on the rider's preference, what floats one's boat may sink another's, kind of like women. If you have ever owned an American muscle car you will feel right at home on the Pan Am.
    I have ridden:

Stelvio
    AT
    VFRX (own)
    V Strom (own)
    GS
    850 GS
    MTS
    Tiger 1200
    Tiger 800
    Super Tenere
    Versys
    Ulysses
  6. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    From the moment you said "not boring like the other adventure-style bikes" I knew you hadn't ridden the Super Adventure. Unintentional 4th gear power wheelies are the norm on the KTM.
  7. PeaceKeeper

Oddometer:
    I want to ride one, I just don't know anyone that has one, and the local shop isn't giving test rides. I hear it's a hoot to ride, jerk your arms out of the socket.. Maybe one day.
  8. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was. But they may have been jacked around by the guys riding the bikes. Won't know until I get mine, but I would think that if it's repositioned like it's supposed to be, it may work fine. Of everything about the bike, this to me, is my only concern. We will see. I'll bet that someone, if not HD themselves, comes up with something different eventually.
  9. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the impression some testers were trying to adjust the windscreen while riding. Pretty sure I saw somewhere that HD says it’s not intended to be adjusted while moving, and indicates you should be at full stop to change windscreen height with two hands.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    The local shop probably does not have one yet. The first 'demo units' are just shipping out to the dealers now. Give it about 2 weeks and they may have one to ride.
    PeaceKeeper likes this.
  11. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    Honestly, the windshield adjuster on my GSA is weak too. Can't adjust at high speeds, and it takes a few turns. I just leave it up unless it's 95+ degrees
    Monkeyshines, gobux and Vark like this.
  12. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I'll deal with the stock shield until Madstad comes out with one.
    husky390, gobux, Monkeyshines and 2 others like this.
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    It was probably too late into development phase to change, but HD (and everyone else, IMHO) should adopt the windscreen mechanism that Ducati uses on the Multistrada V4. One finger up/down operation, easy as could be, while stopped or moving.
    mortarman and Suruppak like this.
  14. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or even the one from the 1260, which I find extremely easy to use and has plenty of adjustment (I haven't tried the V4).
  15. IowaAl

IowaAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I put a deposit down in August 2018... it has been a long wait but I just had a feeling that this was going to be a hit and I’m ready to try something new.

Anyway... my dealer called yesterday and for a second I was at full stoke level... then all she said was they now have a PA parts display and sorry for not knowing yet when the bike will come.

Dam... that was a serious let down. It’s getting close, I think I’ll be riding this thing by months end.
  17. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    You're only an hour's drive from the MoCo factory... they should deliver one to you personally for making you wait 2 1/2 years!
  18. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    I'm excited and also a little frustrated. I feel like the accessory situation has me bummed out. They're telling me out of all the stuff I ordered 3 weeks ago....all they have is the risers and tool kit. I heard the cases are backordered until mid July. So I mean I can get the bike in a couple weeks and rip around the block...maybe even ride it to work. But for any of my bigger trips....I'll be on the bmw until I get luggage on that PA. I mean I can toss a GL Coyote on it for now but I do love having those giant cases when I'm traveling. Heck who am I kidding....I can buy a weeks worth of groceries/dog food and stuff them into those cases on my way home. Storage is huge for me. Living in upstate NY we don't get a lot of "nice" riding weather. So every time I have to take the truck in the summer is reducing my ride time.
    Suruppak and Jed Clampett like this.
  19. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    How about a set of rackless Mosko soft bags to hold you over until the real stuff arrives?

RACKLESS SYSTEMS | MOSKO MOTO - Mosko Moto
    Norsman likes this.
  20. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    These guys adjusted the windshield without issue once he figured it out :dunno