1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    It's hard for sales people to size up a customer, especially people that are new to sales. I have friends that get butt hurt if they don't get attention as soon as they walk in, and have their hand held through the process. Meanwhile my wife will tell them once that she's just looking and will ask if she has a question, the minute someone approaches her a second time she walks out pissed lol.
  2. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not inclined to be sympathetic with how difficult current market shifts are for salespeople. They created the ugly practices of new/used car and toy sales. How market shifts effect their job satisfaction or quality of life doesn't change my low opinion of the profession (in general - and I realize there are plenty of exceptions to my generalization).

That being said, there are times when I choose to tolerate skeezy and irritating sales practices. Sometimes ya gotta buy a car. But I won't tolerate bullshit like what this guy did. If he thinks my choice of bike is dumb or uncool, just shut the fuck about it, be polite, and sell me a bike. It's not complicated.
    rhuff, 2CylinderBill and simmons1 like this.
  3. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of the salespeople I know work on minimal salary + commission, and act like it. I don't think that guy will be in sales long unless he's the owner's kid or something.
  4. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    Most dealerships I've been to will have one or two Rockstars that love their job and love selling you a bike, the rest just take up space because they lost their last job and sales jobs are easy to get because if you suck, you're gone.
    DocPFFP, husky390, daveinva and 2 others like this.
  5. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Nice unbiased first ride....

BCC, Dan Lorenze, GS750T and 10 others like this.
  6. Timps27

Timps27 Just here for the beer. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw the floor model at my local, a lot of customers were looking at it making comments like “that thing looks weird”. All of the sales/service people I spoke to were super excited about it, and they all were talking up the return of Buell as well. I think they are genuinely excited for some new stuff and not just another model year of sporsters and glides. All signs I can see point to success, and I think every rider is better off for that.
  7. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    This.

Kind of (actually, REALLY:asshat) stupid to think you're going to make disparaging comments or looks about somebody's choice of bike, and then think you're going to sell them anything...
    DocPFFP likes this.
  8. IowaAl

IowaAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t worry about the salesman. If you followed this thread this far you already know all you need to know except if you like how it looks in person and how it rides for you. A knowledgable salesman might help in choosing between a Street Glide or a Road King but there is no other Harley to compare with the PA. As far as price, being a new model, I assume it will be full retail with perhaps a small discount on accessories. Any salesman should be able to write that up.
    Eatmore Mudd and TurkeyRun like this.
  9. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    I bought a Pan America Special today. I called one of the local dealers to see if they knew what they were getting and when they expected it, they said they had just unloaded 2 off the truck. I've not brought it home yet but it's a top spec Baja Orange Special with adaptive ride height and laced wheels. Pretty stoked, it had not received dealer prep yet so it'll be Fri before I can pick it up. (supposed to rain pretty much all day tomorrow.)
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an 'Adventure' bike what's the problem with some rain?
    neanderthal likes this.
  11. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I suspect I'll buy one, asshat salesman or not. The other guy I talked to was awesome. I'll happily trade up for him.
    neanderthal, simmons1 and RIVERD06 like this.
  12. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Photos or it didn’t happen.

Seriously, congrats and please show and tell when you pick it up.
    DocPFFP, neanderthal and HuntWhenever like this.
  13. 3DogNate

Oddometer:
    Mine is the orange one.
    IMG_5474.jpg
  14. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    Must be a tier 1 dealership....lucky......and congrats! I'm chomping at the bit to get mine. My dealer's a tier 2 so they won't get theirs until the tier 1's are all delivered....but I hear trucks are showing up every day...
    DocPFFP likes this.
  15. pilotspike

pilotspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sales doodles are a crap shoot. I talked to my local and well known dealership about 2 or so months ago, told them I was interested in the Pan Am. Dude took my name and number because at that time the information was still 'sketchy', has never called back or contacted me except for his automated spam messages. The ironic thing is that there are a few on this board who have already made deposits and are on the delivery list for the pan am from that very dealer. Oh well, I pick up my new MTS next week. Life is too short to play dealership games.
    neanderthal likes this.
  16. 3DogNate

Oddometer:
    They are a smaller Tier 1 dealer. Sales guy was guessing that their 2-3 block proximity to a BMW motorcycle dealer put them in a priority status to receive first wave.
    DocPFFP, neanderthal and mortarman like this.
  17. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Ride, Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
  18. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Ride, Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I tried to order one this weekend, no joy, they wont take pre sales. They are getting a few in later this month. It's first come first served at my local dealer. I'm getting the grey/greenish base for fast and light asphalt touring, weekend trips, etc.

Pan base.jpg
  19. 3DogNate

Oddometer:
    Nice. The aluminum luggage is sold out in the US and on back order. The sport bags that don't require mounts are available now. Not sure what your plan was for luggage if any. It is tall bike. I'm 5'11" and 32" inseam and I'm on the balls of my feet which is perfectly fine for me. But, I have adaptive ride height on mine which puts me flat footed when engaged. I figured having top spec model with ARH would help me move it in a few years if there's an upgrade or change I want to make.
  20. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:

:( Update: The salesman I just chatted with at my local HD said No Demo rides until June. :(
    Clearly some miscommunication going on with my local lot, Saturday is just viewing and sitting on etc etc

As said before, the forecast looks truly terrible for Saturday so will see how it turns out, might still pop along to have a look.
    DocPFFP likes this.