Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. recondas

recondas Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reference the way over MSRP quotes on the Pan America. As has been mentioned, Harley is releasing the PA to dealerships in a three tier arrangement. So any dealership with current inventory is in Tier 1, and some of those might use that seemingly exclusive blessing as an opportunity for an "we've got it, pay up if you want to be among the first" mark up.

A month ago I stuck a deal for a Gauntlet Gray Special with spokes and ARH at the corporate quoted MSRP at a local to me Tier 3 dealership. Because they're Tier 3 they were happy to have the business at MSRP. I probably won't get the bike until June, but since I was their first Pan America customer I'll get the first sales unit they get.
    RIVERD06 and IowaAl like this.
  2. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Tier 1 dealer delivered the bike to me at MSRP.
    gobux, Eatmore Mudd and RIVERD06 like this.
  3. recondas

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are more than a few who will, hence the "some" reference in my post. Unfortunately not everyone has shared in your good fortune.

And congrats on the new ride!
  4. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    I never liked "parade mode" on my baggers. It runs rough and increases the chance of stalling when you try to move. I'm a fan of water cooled bikes. I also don't like the Chevy trucks that shut down to 4 cyl...seems to cause issues in m experience.
  5. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've had my share of bad dealer experiences. That's why when I found one that treated me well, I returned the favor by giving them all of my business. I've gotten really good deals on bikes bought from them in the past. I certainly didn't mind paying MSRP for this new product. I just hate that there will always be those dealers that pretty much ruin the experience for many.
  6. recondas

Oddometer:
    I liked the simplicity. You could turn it on or off on the fly. If you were stuck in traffic, roll the throttle the 'wrong way' for 10 seconds; the cruise control light flashed green to indicate it was on. If your bike was completely stationary and the rear cylinder head hit 275 degrees, it cut spark to the rear plug. As soon as the throttle or speedo registered any movement it fired both cylinders again. You could also disable it at will with another ten second reverse throttle roll; the cruise light would flash amber and it was off. Nice way to manage the heat if you found yourself stuck in traffic.
    phughes, KSBUTLER44 and Vark like this.
  7. Drachenfels

Drachenfels Wayfairing Stranger

Oddometer:
    That makes it a whole lot easier to write a (similar, er, SMALLER) check to BMW for a GSA instead... omg.

I love the idea of what they have done.. I love the idea of buying American. But... at the end of the day, it all comes down to what we want to do w/ it, and the machine's ability to deliver, and the support structure. BMW we know the warts. HD has their own, and this is a huge change... sigh.
  8. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw one in person today, and overall it looks great. I noticed some areas that I would look to the aftermarket to address:
    The kickstand is way forward and is mounted to the case. Seems like a risky spot. A decent skid plate may displace it anyway to protect the belly.
    Some of the parts looked like they were from one of the Royal Enfields in the showroom - Pot metal shifter w/o a collapsing tip. Little pegs. Mirrors look like an afterthought.
    The rear hugger is oversize and super close to the tire.
    Front fender is really little, and mud will end up all over the radiator, reg/rec, and probably the rider.
    skibum69 likes this.
  9. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it fulfills that function too.
  10. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think it’s included on the Revolution engine nor would it need to be.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    https://dirtdazerally.com/

Don't have my PA yet, but I'm registered for this event!

Now I'm *really* hoping I get my bike in time!! :D
    dceggert and hdxbones like this.
  12. Jacksonjack41

Jacksonjack41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is a bit much.... this is a brand new bike that’s in high demand. Sure there are a few stealers that are going to gouge but that’s the dealer not Harley. I’m on 2 lists and been told by both dealers MSRP plus normal costs. I just bought a Tiger Rally Pro. There weren’t any in my area. I had to go seven hours to get it. The dealer told me he wasn’t going to negotiate. There are only a few left and word is that Triumph was not putting any more out till next year. They told me he was going to easily be able to get rid of them so he didn’t see the need to cut any special deals to move them. I can respect that . At least he was straightforward and honest.

I’ll end up getting one of these , no hurry, I’ll wait till I find the exact model, color, with accessaries I want. Harley will be cranking these out. In the fall they will be sitting on the dealers floor and I’ll be in a better position to negotiate because the insanity will pass
  13. Germcati

Germcati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an air-cooled road-king 2013, 103 motor. You can tell when it happens because the engine will sound strange as that cylinder turns into an air pump. It was only when you're just at a light or stand still for a while on a hot summer day. I think the system is called EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System)

I feel like they did away with this on the liquid cooled engines but don't know.
  14. TwinVee

TwinVee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what it is called. I have been al through the PanAM owner's manual and there is no reference to it at all. I presume there is just no need for it on a liquid cooled engine - it does have a fan to pull air through the radiator at standstill.
    Eatmore Mudd and Hogges like this.
  15. hdxbones

hdxbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in the adjoining town and plan to be there as well
    mortarman likes this.
  16. dyolfknip

dyolfknip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol, there is already a dude on FB taking it in tomorrow for the 1000 mile service. He literally picked it up and did a 1000 mile Iron Ass route.
    Awesome
  17. phughes

phughes Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it. I basically did the same with my Concours. I picked it up, and later that night rode from Pittsburgh to Iowa. About 150 miles shy of 1000, but enjoyable just the same. I picked it up on a Saturday and was back at the dealer Tuesday when they opened back up to see if I could get the 600 mile service done. They laughed and asked how many miles I had on it. When I said about 1700 miles, they were shocked. :lol3
  18. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    I got my road glide in Sturgis last summer and the next day had it's first service done at Grizzly HD in Montana. Good times
  19. TwinVee

TwinVee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did similar. Bought my 2018 Softail Fat Bob in Glasgow, Scotland. Rode it home the long way and then took it in for its first service the next day. Screw long break ins....
    Dessert Storm, phughes, Vark and 4 others like this.
  20. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    I just confirmed that these bikes do indeed have EITMS and you disable/enable my rolling the throttle forward until the cruise indicator turns green (enabled) or yellow (disabled). This is the same behavior as the Milwaukee 8 bikes.

Happy to put this to rest. :)