1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    May or may not be equally as useful on a water cooled as an air cooled but hey, one less cylinder idling at a stop light is 50% greener than two.

Besides HD do any other makes use EITM ?
    3DogNate likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had EITM on my 2009 Road King. It was the extremely lean EPA-mandated fueling that made it run hot and reflashing the ECU eliminated the need for EITM.
  3. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    not sure what they call it, but Ducati uses a similar system on their 1260, and V4 Multis; the rear cylinder on the 1260, and half the cylinders on the V4
    Eatmore Mudd and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  4. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indian started using it on it 2019 models and it's on the Challengers and FTR too
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do they do at 1000 miles at the dealer that you can't do in 30 minutes yourself? I think the last time I took a motorcycle in for service was over 30yrs ago. Too many botched jobs.
  6. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    Document that the work was done for your warranty to avoid conflict... Yes most states have laws that allow you to do the work yourself, not all. I'll be clearing it with my dealer. But I think it's fluids, chain tension, check for diagnostic codes and checking torque on a few key fasteners. (What else could it be? check list couldn't be wrong. I'd expect it to cost 1 unit of time + the oil change kit.)
  7. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    They also usually wash and detail it LOL
    rideforzen, KSBUTLER44 and 3DogNate like this.
  8. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually have the dealer do the 600mi service, and after that I do it all myself.
    neanderthal likes this.
  9. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Same here. First service at the dealer then I do the rest.
  10. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With these new bikes, and especially with a new model, there'll be plenty of computer updates probably as well in the first few services.
  11. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crap...205ed ^^^

While you guys are right on traditional service, it could be good to take the bike in. I would specifically ask if there is an ECU or other software upgrade. I expect several patches on these bikes before they are stable. The bike I test rode was down for a flash after 2 test rides. Several reports of buggy and restarting screens.

Speaking of....has anyone found a fuel economy readout on the bike? I spend 10 minutes looking for it in the screen options, and so did 2 dealer guys. We couldn't find it. Found 2 trip meters and a distance to empty. I wonder if they forgot to provide it on this software release?
  12. Tefloncandy

Tefloncandy Oximoran

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any Fuel economy readouts on my PA. Trip, range left and odo.
    I did a 200 mile round trip the day I purchased it. At 200 miles I had 1/8 tank showing, big red message saying low fuel and a yellow gas pump icon on the dash and a range of 36 miles left. When I filled up, I put 4.6 gallons of gas in.
    The ride was mostly highway at 80+ mph down to a rally where I did parade laps down town for about 30 mins. Then back up the highway home.
    pjensen641 likes this.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought my 640 Adventure I brought it to the local dealer for the first service/oil change. I never went back.
  14. pjensen641

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for that. 43.5mpg. Not awesome, but reasonable and expected at 80+mph. A tank range of ~225-250 miles is right in the good range.

I THOUGHT I saw that it would be able to run standard octane, but now I see the manual requires 91 R+M/2. That sort of sucks. The cost to run increase is real but relatively minor in the grand scheme. The availability out in the sticks can be a significant issue.
  15. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    You thought correctly.

The bike has an ignition retard function that accommodates lower octane fuel. That said, I don't intend to make it my standard practice to use lower grade fuel.

Curious, since I'm still waiting on delivery of mine, does the manual say 91 octane is required, or recommended?
    RIVERD06 likes this.
  16. pjensen641

Oddometer:
    Octane PAN AMERICA MODEL.jpg
  17. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    43.5 MPG at 80 MPH. That is pretty darned impressive. I owned a 2005 R1200GS (first year of the R1200) for 2 years and the fuel economy was one of the things I did not like about that bike. With a 40 minute commute with normal stop and go city riding intermixed with with some freeway stretches of 15 or so minutes at 75 MPH I was getting 36-38 MPG per tankful. My other bike, a 1999 Harley Ultra Limited, would deliver 45-48 MPG in the same usage. I talked to the service manager at the BMW dealer and he told me 'sounds normal.' Between the height, the vibrations, the fuel economy, and the torture rack of a seat I sold it after riding it just a short 2 seasons.
    phughes likes this.
  18. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Yup, both my Road Glide and my 120+hp Night Train get mid-40s. Hoping this beastie is the same.

And I'm very, very unhappy that I pre-ordered in February, don't have a bike yet, and am watching people walk into dealers and buy one.
    hdxbones, RIVERD06 and gobux like this.
  19. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    Since they announced that each dealer will get a minimum of one in addition to pre-orders. I took that gamble and didn't pre-order one. I was able to get the first one that I was aware of in the immediate area at least.

You could walk in and buy one and cancel your pre-order, there's no penalty to cancel right?
  20. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old 2015 KTM 1290SA averaged 5.4L/100km across all types of riding which is around 43.5mpg US and that's a 6 year old bike design.