Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
  2. mortarman

mortarman Hang it; Fire!

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. However, to be completely fair about it, if I'd stayed with my original dealer rather than changed the dealership I purchased from, I'd be riding right now - well, maybe not this exact moment, but you know what I mean... :-)

Guess that's the price I'm paying for going with a dealer that delivered better customer service than a big, high volume dealer that couldn't be bothered to return my calls.
  3. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I could, if I could find one. I'd assumed that The Mothership would have rolled out the preorders first. Based on what I've seen on the forums and FB, there are dealers who've gotten and sold 3 or 4 retail bikes already. My dealer doesn't even have a VIN for mine yet. And we're an hour from York.
    jplambert likes this.
  4. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And most people on the new Ducati V4 Multistrada are averaging 37 mpg US, and that's a brand new bike design. One of the reasons it won't be my new bike. My 1260 was getting around 46, then I changed the sprockets, now it averages around 42.5. I don't want any less range than I currently have, so this is good news about the PanAm for me.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Just sit tight. I predict we are about 1 to 2 weeks out at the moment. My dealer does not have any info on my order yet but they did not know the two they already received were inbound either. They just popped out of the truck by surprise...LOL. They did tell me that mine is #3 inbound so it is next but no information on when it should arrive. I suspect that the timing of the show we got invited to on 12-May at 6PM Central is timed for the imminent arrival of the pre-orders.
    '05Train likes this.
  6. '05Train

Oddometer:
    I'd hope so. Last week when I popped in the sales manager texted the regional manager about the ETA, and he was told, "mid-May". I'd really like to get my first thousand miles out of the way this weekend.

I understand why there's a "tier" system. All brands have something similar. But you'd think that when you place a deposit on a pre-order, that would mean that you get your bike before the general public can walk into a dealer and pick one up.
    gobux, hdxbones and HuntWhenever like this.
  7. phughes

phughes Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not much you can do about aerodynamics with an ADV bike, or bikes in general. That is probably the biggest player when it comes to fuel mileage, after you get to a certain point in engine fuel/air management technology. For a bike that has the performance the Pan Am does, with an upright riding position, the mileage isn't bad at all.
    X1Glider likes this.
  8. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    I try to hyper mile when needed, or to get a best case scenario number in my head. But the rest of the time I ride it like I stole it. So it's sort of irrelevant for me.
    Kthursto and husky390 like this.
  9. Contrarian

Contrarian Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @pjensen641 road my liquid cooled GS today on some curves after riding the PA; he's done thousands of miles with me all over Cali on GS's. Bob, feel free to ignore. But, you had some interesting comments on the forks (I'm used to it). Me thinks the race is tight! Good for us!
    ollieholic and gobux like this.
  10. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Having owned one, I can tell you that the BMW's front end setup can ruin you. Going from that to a conventional fork, no matter how good it is, can be jarring (no pun intended).
    Contrarian likes this.
  11. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    Yes any changes like that are hard at first. At one time I was riding a 1960 sportster AND a 1987 Hurricane 600. The sportster had the shifter on the "other" side......that caused some interesting rides when switching daily.
    Contrarian, Jed Clampett and '05Train like this.
  12. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the day when I was Enduro racing, I switched from Yamaha to KTM. Rode three Enduros on the KTM before switching again. The big KTM had the kickstart on the left side. When I killed it in tight technical stuff, I had a hard time getting it started with my left leg.
    husky390 and RIVERD06 like this.
  13. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    You changed your avatar to include the PA already! LOL...congratulations.
  14. hdxbones

hdxbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, you and me both. I jumped on the bandwagon on Feb 26, and nothing but crickets since then.
  15. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mainly what I noticed is a little bit of a disconnected feeling to the on-center steering. Like the forks weren't very torsionaly stiff, or in other words there there was a little bit of rotational play between the upper triple clamp and the axle. Going over sharp little bumps it almost felt like the bars would wiggle slightly back and forth as well. I can imagine this is an effect of the rotational degree of freedom that is needed at the upper triple clamp for the forks to work. The Telelever system uses ball joints instead of a large clamp around the stancion tubes, maybe that is what I am feeling. Obviously it works and the bike is still controllable. If I felt ths feeling on a conventional fork bike, I would thing I needed an aftermarket fork brace perhaps.

Contrast that to a normal set of forks like the PA or any other modern bike with good stiff forks, where you feel a direct stiff connection between the handlebars and the front axle in terms of steering the front wheel.

The Telelever is fairly obvious under hard braking, and I think the front end can have a plusher spring set-up without the dive. I get why BMW keeps running them. Also, the GS is extremely light steering. That makes it really flickable. Perhaps so much so that it adds the a little bit of the flighty feeling on center at higher speeds. You can definitely notice the longer wheelbase and more stable front end geometry of the PA. In the tight twisties, would that give the GS an advantage...hard to say. In Iowa, there are no twisty roads.

I really think I would have to rent both bikes in an area with good roads, one right after the other (assuming Eaglerider will get a fleet of PA) before making a purchase decision.
    Suruppak, Contrarian and '05Train like this.
  16. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    Not a review, but a good riding video.

17. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just stopped in at Blue Ridge Harley, they had an orange and white (pre sold) that had just been uncrated a half hour earlier. I have to say, I actually LOVE the styling of the thing. Looking like a real player
    phughes, gobux, Monkeyshines and 3 others like this.
  18. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    Saw this today, rear shock blown already. Update.. this is the parts bike.
    Hukamosh and phughes like this.
  19. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the bike that posted in the Facebook group except in a video. The bike doesn’t look like it’s even been ridden yet? There’s no oil residue on any of the parts. The tag says do PDI.
    phughes and y2blade like this.
  20. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a parts bin bike at least.
    Great job of routing the exhaust to get more ground clearance and the relatively high front sprocket is also interesting. Clutch actuator not directly in the path the chain will take if it breaks. Also not a lot sticking out to break if it falls.
    Bolt on subframe is also a plus for an adventure bike.