Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No animosity whatsoever. I've made my admiration for what H-D has accomplished plain in a lot of posts, and I am an interested party. My first two posts that referenced the comparison article were pretty honestly innocuous:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/harley-davidson-pan-america-thread.1330691/page-187#post-42495205

https://advrider.com/f/threads/harley-davidson-pan-america-thread.1330691/page-187#post-42496024
  2. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on record here as saying it's a great bike, but not a great bike for everyone.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Sound familiar?
  4. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I completely agree.

And I continue to be impressed how much HD pulled off so quickly.
    Peltsi and No-Fret like this.
  5. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I think it was years in the making. True they announced the PA three years ago.
    I suspect that for years before then they were doing market analysis while quietly mining information from this forum and rider events to determine what it would take to hit a home run in the market segment. Then they planned and executed accordingly. What it is, what it does, the boxes it checks, the timing all seem more than just good luck or coincidental. Just a theory.
  6. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a very sound theory.

When you factor in all those things, and on top of it have an extensive accessory catalog -- lots of items manufactured by companies other than HD they might not have worked with before -- ready at kick-off, it would make sense this was a longer term process than it first appears.

And throw a pandemic in there...
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. havabusa

havabusa Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big picture - shouldn't we all hope that the latest bikes that come out always stomps the competition? Whatever stomps means? The Manufactures actually fixing the stuff we bitch about? I'm waiting for a quick shifter on the PA before I think about 'upgrading' my 2020 SAS. By then, all the upgraded ADV bikes should be avail?
    OT - My handle: I still have my 99 copper. I traded my 05 and 07, so you know what's calling me?
    MCGMB likes this.
  8. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I test rode one yesterday at my local HD shop. They rolled it out the front door and said "take as long as you want". Since the fob for the demo bike was in an employees pocket at lunch they gave me the only other one they had which was for sale on the floor.

I don't mind flogging a demo bike, but I really took it easy on this bike and only rode about 20 min. The good: the bike has a low COG, when rolling it is way more nimble than my DL650, the brakes are very responsive, the display was clear and easy to read in bright sunlight and the engine is an absolute beast....I really wanted to go off pavement, but resisted. The bad: The windshield did nothing for wind blast that was hitting me in the head so it looks like aftermarket will be the way to go and no I did not monkey with the height, I was not impressed with the thin metal skid that did not cover the finned cooler. The rest of the bad is just personal and or adjustments that need to be made for every different rider: the clutch engaged waaay out at the end of it's travel, the seat was in the low position so my 36" legs were a little cramped(they didn't figure out how to adjust it until I returned), handlebars were pulled down pretty far which made standing difficult.

So here is where it got interesting. After I returned and parked the bike the manager came out and picked my brain. The guy is an admitted old school HD rider but he is intrigued with the PM and will be riding it more. Then he asked if I was interested in a purchase & not in a high pressure way. When I said I am going to ponder it, he said; "If you are interested I can arrange for you to take the demo out for .....a DAY! I'm like, 'wait, what?' He said that I would just need to get it back before they close and I could take it off pavement all I want. Jezus, this was not expected and I think I will take him up on it.

Both bikes were orange/white, the demo bike has spokes and the one I rode had mags. I think they both have the Scorcher Adventure tires on them. Anyway, I will post up a ....uhmmm 'trip' report after I take the spoked demo bike out for a tank+ of gas.
    dirtbagger, phughes, havabusa and 7 others like this.
  9. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be interested in your take. Just be sure all those "adjustables" are set for your preference. I think you will be pleased.
    Motor7 and '05Train like this.
  10. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Whoa! That's pretty impressive.

This got me thinking about my experience when I visited my local HD dealer - they didn't know anything about the bike, nor did they know anything about off-road or adventure riding in general. The bike is SO different from what they've been selling for the last hundred years... I think it will be a big adjustment for most HD dealers to learn how to sell this thing. Some of them might not be able to make the leap (I suspect my dealer falls into this category). Finding a good dealer could make a huge difference to one's experience as a customer.

Now that is REALLY impressive! A breath of fresh air compared to the typical KTM dealer...
    dirtbagger likes this.
  11. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one here that found it felt similar to a Super Tenere?
    Not the motor, but size and frame geometry/ turn in characteristics gave me flashbacks to my S10.
    Steve Glenn and simmons1 like this.
  12. butch9999

butch9999 n00b

Oddometer:
    Lolo pass is on one of the best roads in America! Love that sign and the ride! Thanks for sharing!
    dirtbagger likes this.
  13. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Here in Michigan we have one dealer running weekend trail rides bringing their two demos along for people to try them out!
    dirtbagger and Jed Clampett like this.
  14. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Love it!

That could be HD’s ace in the hole right there - treat customers like customers! Nobody ever made the mistake of thinking that KTM stands for “Kares Too Much”…
    wpbarlow, Jed Clampett and 3DogNate like this.
  15. 3DogNate

3DogNate '74 R90/s - '65 Bonneville - '17 Road Glide

Oddometer:
    I’ve visited so many Japanese and other import bike shops and only a handful would even allow test rides. Every (that’s a lot) H-D dealership I’ve been to would encourage test rides.
    Jed Clampett likes this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    They're not doing that in Japan. The Special is priced the same as the premium GS at 25K.
  17. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Not good! Why the mark up in Japan?
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    They market Harleys as a premium brand here. A Road King Special Deadwood is about $29K OTD. In the US, the MSRP is about $22,450.
  19. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's import duties that raises the price.
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Nope, Japan doesn't have tariffs on vehicle imports. It's brand image and market positioning. BMW does the same thing.
    Peltsi likes this.