Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. LiquidSilver

LiquidSilver Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following up on front fender extension..... 20210719_172512.jpg 20210719_172501.jpg 20210719_172454.jpg
  2. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Their were a handful of Pan-Am's at the Get-On ADV Fest last weekend....and they weren't shy about testing them out. I also test rode one. I liked it, tons of power. I don't think I would have the heart to ride it like some of these guys. IMG_0276.jpg
  3. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I absolutely would want them. I bet they make a noticeable difference in handling. The spoked wheels cost like 15lbs of rotating unsprung weight. They will handle anything I would be taking the bike on. If I'm in danger of bending wheels...I'm taking a real dual sport like my DR650. A bike that costs 20% of the PA....
    Jack D, daveinva, Drebin and 8 others like this.
  4. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Jrc123

Jrc123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes
    y2blade likes this.
  6. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's down there, but you can't see it in the pic. You're just trying to throw more dirt on that bike.
    Rockreader likes this.
  7. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all, I love the bike.....can't wait to ride one as it's on my shortlist, with the view to buy next spring

This looks like the top of a battery! hence my question!
    With the sticker and red terminal in view?????
    upload_2021-7-20_12-50-11.png
  8. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, that's not the picture you referred to.
  9. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    erm........how do you know what I was referring to??????
    That's the picture I saw and then replied.....
    Yossarian™ likes this.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Hmmm, maybe you should talk with BMW, KTM, Honda, and Ducati as well because they put cast wheels on their adventure bikes too.
    WJBertrand and y2blade like this.
  11. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    My current adventure bike has cast wheels, I'd definitely have cast on a Pan Am unless I bought a pre-owned one that already had spoked wheels on it.
    simmons1 and WJBertrand like this.
  12. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hold on, you mean HD put the battery down where the bash plate is ?
  13. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    That's not a bash plate, it's a battery cover... :-)

They will sell you a better plate for bashing (probably), but I would wait for the aftermarket stuff.
  14. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this to Harley last week about the fender extension. They said they did a lot of wind tunnel testing. They think it could interfere with the wind/cooling by adding that extension. My reply was, "Testing in a wind tunnel is great, but testing an Adventure bike off-road is just as important. The aftermarket protection alone might not be enough. If you cake up the radiator with MUD, not much "wind" is going to get to the radiator."
    mentolio and pjensen641 like this.
  15. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Cast wheels are the better option for 90% of the ADV bikes out there. They're lighter and don't deflect, which means for the vast majority of ADV bikes that are primarily road bikes with the odd gravel driveway through in, they're far, far superior.

The spokes look badass, and are a better choice for the loons who take their $24,000, 575 pound bike out on single-track in the boonies. But the cast are going to be the better wheel for most.
  16. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    I think cast wheels on an Adventure bike is just a bike. Same concept with luggage. If you can't put luggage on a bike (supply chain issues) then it is not an Adventure Bike. It is just a bike.

People want cast wheels because they are lighter...does the Pan America not have enough power for you that you need to save a few pounds on the pavement?
    Bluesilver likes this.
  17. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Lighter wheels, being unsprung weight, can have a pretty big impact on suspension feel/performance, it's not about HP/weight ratios. I could go either way. My Super Tenere has spoked wheels standard, though I've had minimal maintenance issues, there are plenty of folks with lost spokes and constant requirement to retorque their spokes. Given the $500 extra cost and my 90-95% road use, I'd probably go for the cast wheels. I like that, other than cleaning them, there is no maintenance. You're making a lot of assumptions about what other people want...
    LiquidSilver, MCGMB and simmons1 like this.
  18. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    This.

Any bike will go, stop, and turn better with the lighter cast wheels due to both the weight and the deflection - and yes, the spokes do deflect. Whether or not those things are important to a rider is up to the rider. I'd love to have a set of cast wheels with a set of dedicated road/sport tires for days that I knew I was cutting heads on mountain roads. And those cast wheels are perfectly fine for the vast majority of the off-pavement miles these types of big ADV bikes see.
    simmons1, X1Glider and pjensen641 like this.
  19. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be more concerned with the voltage regulator getting dirty and even plugged up with mud as the above picture shows. When it burns up, and needs to be replaced because of over heating, good luck finding one. A few people with the M8 powered Harleys had theirs go out and none are in stock.
    pjensen641 likes this.
  20. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM started this trend in 2017 with the SAS, it had nothing to do with handling. CAST is far cheaper than wire to produce, simple as that. As for handling, these CAST wheels are basement bargan wheel and damn heavy.
    3DogNate likes this.