Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You mean like a KTM 1x90 Adventure or Ducati Multistrada?

Again, it's benchmark competition.
  2. flyusmc

flyusmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something pretty wicked dropping today... Premiers at 11:00 EST
  3. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I saw one, and only one, PA at the annual ADV Fest in Wakefield, Michigan this past weekend. It stood out not so much as being a PA, but as being the only clean and shiny bike among a sea of muddy and dusty BMW GSs and a handful of equally filthy KTMs. It looked to have been trailered up or was just detailed. It definitely had a much smaller look to it in person. I was hoping to meet the PA’s owner to ask him about the bike, but didn’t have a chance to do that.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg
    flyusmc and simmons1 like this.
  4. aviscomi

aviscomi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough...I have yet to see one on the road and I live in a major metropolitan area.
  5. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Demoed the Special at IMS Pennsylvania this weekend. Won’t repeat the raves, but all the raves are accurate, it’s an impressive bike.

Definitely a bike that needs to wake up— there’s enough torque low to move around fine (impressive stability at slow speeds, not top heavy *at all*), but once you get north of midrange, hold on. If I bought one, I’d need a big cookie jar for speeding ticket money.

Stretching for complaints— the engine ticks a bit at low RPM, not a kick ass sound (didn’t notice that at all on the Sportster S, that bike sounds kick ass from the start, the different tune makes a difference), and there was an audible whine/whistling between about 15-30 mph that I couldn’t place— whether engine or wind, who knows. Might not notice it if I owned it, or it might annoy me like Edgar Allen Poe. Gave me incentive to whiskey the throttle (as if I needed it).

Is it better than a GS? Having only rented them, I can’t say— I think they’re close enough for it to come down to other intangibles (aesthetics, dealer support, etc.). Personally, I think I put the P-A ahead— as everyone says, in person it’s a purty bike, and it’s just all kinds of neat that Harley nailed it out of the gate.

Oh… it definitely, absolutely, positively needs a quickshifter. This is a sport touring bike in ADV clothing— more KTM than BMW— it begs for a QS.
  6. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a FB account, but look at their PA page. Found this...we knew it was coming.

2021-09-12 (2).png
    Lost in the world likes this.
  7. jplambert

jplambert Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen Harley tour packs on a Kawasaki’s, Honda’s, and Triumphs. They are very versatile.
  8. Yeagar

Yeagar Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    828CC94D-D678-4BBF-B7D9-EC3B3A9D8E9E.jpeg EEABC0B3-1943-4091-BFF5-38B1499D7949.jpeg 4AB4660B-4023-4B50-9BB7-F2151A3C25E1.jpeg Great to see another one “in the wild”
    simmons1, Riversong and Jed Clampett like this.
  10. Chaplain

Chaplain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I concur with the first post of this thread. I was really impressed with the bike. The thing I noticed most was how at home I was on a bike this size with this power. It is a very competent bike. If I were to buy a bike off the showroom floor and leave an epic trip, this a bike I would feel would be able to rise to the occasion.
  11. Tall Man

Tall Man Well...the game is afoot.

Oddometer:
    My turn.

Functionally, the HD Pan America is a sport touring motorcycle. Its positioning as a so-called ADV bike is a function of marketing, not capability.
  12. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [mention]Tall Man [/mention] the PAS does not seem to be any less capable as an “ADV bike” than competing heavy weights in the same class and may be better than some.
    hdxbones and 3DogNate like this.
  13. Jed Clampett

Jed Clampett Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally agree.