Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. flyusmc

flyusmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Infrequent
    Intresting to say the least.. What happened when you put the bike in off-road plus mode?
  2. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in Sport mode the entire time -- the test bikes were only configured to permit Rain/Normal/Sport (at least that's what the guy told us.)

Again, the power was impressive -- but plenty of bikes have 150+ hp now. What did I miss with the Off-Road Plus mode?
    flyusmc likes this.
  3. flyusmc

flyusmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s incredible the difference in throttle response, power delivery, and suspension differences. So much more crazy neck snapping power in any off-road setting. But, I get it. It’s not for everyone..no bike is. Cheers!
  4. Riversong

Riversong Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what full size adventure bike , that you’ve ridden, would you say impresses you the most ?
  5. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Heh....I lived in Pasadena for nearly 25 years, nice to see the old stomping grounds.

Funny though, I've got no whistle at all. Doesn't matter what position it's in, or whether it's the 22" or the 18" shield installed. With the 18" all the way down and back, I can ride with my helmet visor up all day long. The little bit of wind feel and noise is a small price to pay for airflow into the helmet vents. Seriously, it was cool yesterday and today, try it again when it's in the upper 90s and humid....You won't mind the noise.
    flyusmc likes this.
  6. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    You like what you like, and I won't tell you you're wrong, but what?

I rode all the competition prior to buying, and I couldn't disagree with your assessment any more. It's a bit floaty in Road mode because...it's Road mode. In Sport mode it's like a scalpel. Different feel than BMW's Telelever (obviously), but I can put this bike on a line far easier than anything else in its class. The motor's meant to spin. Below 3k is off-limits unless you're in Off-Road and crawling. It's happy at 4k, and really comes alive at 5k. The stock muffler does the sound quality no favors.

Being a first-year, clean-sheet design I was expecting Harley to have dropped the ball somewhere. Other than the half-assed Nav, I haven't found anything yet.
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good counter points. As someone asked about prior bikes or bikes the poster preferred, it really depends on prior experience or preferences. Bikes and trucks, why are some people so afraid to use ALL or most of their vehicles rpm's? Some motors just like to spin, sounds like the PA is one of them. Triumphs triples are a bit of an outlier in that you can bimble around town and ride them like a cruiser but my wife's Street Triple becomes a bloody screaming hellcat at 8000 rpm, very addictive and fun. There was no point revving my Honda CBF1000 to the redline as that motor was all torque and happier to ride those waves of torque vs chasing revs. Same as Buell XB I guess, or hell even my Ural. Try riding either of those like a sport bike and you'll be dissapointed, ride them both to their design brief and they both work very well.
    dirtbagger, Kique and ollieholic like this.
  8. CCCK

CCCK n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode it for the first time at the same event as well, and to be fair: I've only ridden&owned dual sports, have no interest in full-size ADV bikes (except damn that vstrom 1050xt is sexy looking) but I wasn't a fan either. I love that HD is selling it, really like how it looked (especially how slim it looks), I liked the engine note, found the suspension good and liked the power (though--and this will get me banned--it didn't really feel much faster than my DR650). It shifted better than the DR, and the fit/finish were excellent.
    But, my god I was so uncomfortable on that thing. I think a huge reason was that the windscreen directed all of the wind right at my face (I tried it all the way up and down), and wearing a HD provided half-bucket helmet caused it to be intolerably loud. I couldn't scoot back on the seat to get comfortable. That really ruined the experience for me.

Still, I'm a fan of others riding them, and hope HD sells enough that I don't have to see those ugly R1250GS's all over the place.
  9. Ride1st

Ride1st Work Later

Oddometer:
    If you can't feel much difference in over 100 horsepower between motorcycles maybe this isn't the sport for you. I also did the demo ride at Overland Expo East and had a vastly different experience.

I've previously owned the mighty 35 hp DR650 and currently ride a KTM 690. I wouldn't want the Pan America as a dual sport replacement for my 690, but could see it replacing my R1250RT as a sport tourer.
  10. Riversong

Riversong Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The good news is that the demo ride clearly demonstrated that the Pan Am is not the bike for you and thus the experience was a success even though you were crestfallen. I used to demo bikes at Daytona bike week and Biketoberfest and often would walk away saying nope that bike is not for me , thus my 25 minutes of time was well spent IMO. That being said my experience was the exact opposite of yours . I did the demo ride of a beautiful PAS and purchased it the same day . I’ve owned a number of large adventure bikes that include the Yamaha Super Tenere , BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, KTM 1290 T, and now the Pan America and really like it so far . Is it perfect - not quite but having owned most of the marquee brands I say it’s near or at the top of the heap . If you are in the market for a full size adventure bike you might want to consider the Super Tenere or even the V-STROM both are bullet proof and the Tenere comes with shaft drive . For me it’s the Multistrada , GS, KTM 1290 , or Pan Am . Good luck in your search assuming you’re searching !
  11. Cherch

Cherch Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed a set of A-1 Cycle bar risers for the Pan American last night, what a difference they made way more comfortable riding. Ordered these bar risers and the heel guards on-line Tuesday this week and received them Saturday through the mail. Also installed a California-Scientific medium windshield at the same time.
    During my "test ride" today the bar risers made a world of difference on ride quality and comfort. The only issue I immediately noticed is the the design of the windshield and interference of the motorcycle hand guards when the wind shield is in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions. I think if the wings of the windshield were cut an additional 2.5 inches the windshield would not interfere with the hand guards when the handlebars are at full turn left or right.
    image.png IMG_2268.jpeg IMG_2265.jpeg
    As you can see from the middle image I marked how much the windshield would have to be cut in order for the handguards not to hit the windshield. Windshield in this photo is in the 3rd position. Last image is of the installed A-1bar risers.

Windshield performance was outstanding in my opinion, no helmet buffeting, etc. Very impressed with the windshield in all 4 positions. Except for the interference of the windshield and the hand guards.

Attached Files:

y2blade likes this.
  12. danger_dave

danger_dave That's me

Oddometer:
    The kick stand blows. It cost me $400 when the bike fell against my car.

Apart from that and the clock thing - yep.
    pedalmike likes this.
  13. Jacksonjack41

Jacksonjack41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t like the stainless aluminum look on my sport cases so I had them wrapped gunmetal so that the match the color of the engine

Attached Files:

14. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Ran into WBrisett while riding in Arkansas couple days ago. Fun guy to talk to.
    DSC_0084.JPG
  15. Kique

Kique Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better looking for sure!!!
  16. wbrisett

wbrisett hmmm.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great running into you and chatting! Never had someone pass me by, then turn around to catch-up and then strike up a wonderful conversation about bikes.
    roookie1 and eemsreno like this.
  17. DanVFR

DanVFR Traveller

Oddometer:
    Some pictures from my Ride in BC Canada, Vancouver up to Lake Duffy and back.

Attached Files:

18. motogluten

motogluten #bigtimeadventure

Oddometer:
    A couple shots from AZ / UT last week.

IMG_0830 2.JPG IMG_0879 2.jpg
  19. dirtbagger

dirtbagger The Pan American Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great shots of your Pa in it's element!
    Any issues with debris in the radiator/voltage regulator?
    How's the V&H pipe performing?
    -DB

motogluten likes this.
  20. motogluten

motogluten #bigtimeadventure

Oddometer:
    I packed it up good, but there were no issues. Reg/Rec still have plenty of breathing room behind the skid plate.

IMG_1210.jpg
    Monkeyshines, y2blade, BCC and 2 others like this.