Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    HD is not interested in typical HOGs owner with the PA.

Why?

Because for decades they have made the same cookie cutter bikes and their profits have slowed down over the last 12 years.

So HD are trying to add new riders.

All they need to do is give the bike the "Adv look" with comfortable ergos and they will be fine.
    ____
    If they built a Royal Enfield Himalayan clone , I would be very interested.
    411cc thumper
    83mph top speed, so all torque
    4.0 gallons
    412lbs or so.
    $6,250
    Made in the USA.

$19,000+ ADV Bikes are too expensive for me. However, plenty of folks from Around the world would buy the PA.

I've just been so disappointed in HD , and the loud pipes safe life's BS and all, I could care less if they never even built the PA.
    There is hope. I like the 380cc bike they are building in China.
    Huge market!!!
    The USA's best export is the American Dream. HD can tap into that.
  2. corsair4360

corsair4360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on the money.... I am not buying a $15,000 or so motorcycle.....
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I don't know about Taiwan

Japan has no such restrictions. I own a 1200cc Multistrada that was originally sold in Japan, likewise I an buy a new Aprilla, or Triumph, BMW or any of the major Japanese brands likely in more flavors than they sell in the US. Thailand allows whatever you can afford and the prices go WAY up once you cross 400cc which applies both to European and Asian makers.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The HD thing sort of burned me out on those bikes.I realy liked them when i was younger and owned at least 4 used ones but the performance was just not very good.I wish they would give up the v-twin thing and build a cool more performance bike at a decent price.I would like to live long enough to see them shed the ymca leather look and become a major player with bikes that are equal to others.On a side note that royal Enfield Himalayan is pretty cool and i want one.Not high performance but yhat thing would be awesome to take camping and blast around the back roads of northern michigan.Think i may have to go check one out down in Milwaukee and see how it works for me.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Hima is made for Yooper country.
    Mobiker and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yah, yah, ya betcha.....
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  7. Smitthy

Smitthy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a bike thats going to help save the company and its due 2020, things seem real quiet.
    bobw, rauchman, Norsman and 1 other person like this.
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    The Livewire just dropped. My guess is that what's left of their PR and marketing team is focused on that big push.
  9. Smitthy

Smitthy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seem to be putting their eggs in the wrong basket IMO. The adventure market is the SUVs of the bike world and if done right the PA could turn into one of their biggest sellers. The world is not looking for electric bikes at the moment..
    bobw, neanderthal and gobux like this.
  10. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Adventure bikes are a popular bike right now. I think that HD is looking further down the road than you are, as many believe that electric vehicles are the vehicle of the future.
    CowboyFatBob likes this.
  11. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have they released any technical details yet? Engine size, gearbox, fuel capacity, anything?
  12. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Not $30k ones anyway.

Ducati, Triumph, BMW, MV Agusta, etc could sell a $30k electric bike IMO. The tech yuppies and instagram models um, ... influencers would be all over that kind of thing. The rich Chinese kids in So Cal buying Lambos n Ferraris etc
  13. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    They haven't, and I can already tell it's too heavy.:lol3 They are coming into the ADV market with a big bike, right when the market is graduating to a slightly smaller bike.
  14. rauchman

rauchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Engine is a 1250cc liquid cooled v-twin. Not a redo of one of their air cooled engines. Past that, not much other info out there aside from massive speculation.
  15. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Except for Honda who is making the AT bigger now at 1100cc... BMW also went from 1200 to 1250 for 2019. When it arrives we will be able to see what it is and what it can be made into....
  16. Biffdotorg

Biffdotorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like the livewire made a big splash in Sturgis recently. Showings, and demo rides. I guess they got quite a good response for an overpriced E-bike. To me, it's seems more than double it's true worth. But I am more disappointed that they didn't have a Pan America on display out of reach. In other words, we want you to see that it's real, but you can't get close enough to see details. I think that would have been a major buzz.

But as it was said here, that's not their target market. But honestly, you wouldn't think that would be the place for the Livewire either. But Harley may be realizing their market has changed. I hope more info comes out. 2020 of everything is dropping in all industries.
  17. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    You probably didn't see the Pan America because it's not ready. All those shots we saw previously were likely a full prototype and nowhere near a fully functioning or production-ready bike.
  18. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    This is what they said:
    "Launching in 2020 is the first Harley-Davidson® adventure touring motorcycle. The commanding riding position allows the rider to see the world from another point of view. Travel coast-to-coast. On road or off. All while experiencing your own adventures."

That probably means it will be a 2021 model, unveiled late in 2020. That gives them at least one year to "make some noise". :D
  19. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    The LW is enjoying a separate stage right now from the Dealer Show where some surprises do occur (like the 2018 Softail line). One huge speculation on the new engine family that will also be in the PA was that it would replace the Sportster engine. Since the 2020 Sportsters are already arriving at the dealers that is not happening soon.

I was hoping the PA would be out for the 2020 MY but it may not be soon. Up thread there are those that believe it will be a Spring launch. Either way we either have to wait a while or a while longer...:-) We shall see.
  20. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    While I agree with you as to the future this is a VERY lucrative share of the market and they always seem to torpedo the models that are (to me) "so close" to gaining new buyers (me) outside their traditional demographic. They aren't alone, I also wondered for similar reasons why Triumph and Honda put so much effort and arrived so late to the game with their "choppers" too. "This" demographic opportunity has never been well realized by HD (V-Rod Street Rod, XR1200R and even the new soft tail Fat Bob, we'll give you a nice engine, better suspension and brakes, but no fenders and a quart of gasoline capacity.) The Adventure/Standard segment has been like BMW, Acura, Audi. Porsche. Mercedes, et al offering SUVs because they saw Ford, GM and Dodge selling them (and pickups) by the bazillions. My good riding friend, long time sports car enthusiast and kool aid drinker was appalled by Porsche adding fours doors and worse. This is a similar attitude that kept Buell a red headed step child and other models I mentioned to wither on the vine in many HD dealerships. I will buy American (again), I like Harley and I just hope they don't screw the pooch like Polaris did with the FTR, another great bike that is "so close" and I hope they don't waste years until offering the few bits it needs to go further than the edge of town without needing a gas station, etc.

Anyway. These issues are above my pay grade, but I want it now :D