Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Since this is a speculation thread and folks can spitball ideas...what if they also decided to do a second Pan America scaled down to Street 500 - 750 size and used that engine ?
  2. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:
    I understand there are several Buell people with championships under their belts working on this project. I wonder if they have been told not to bring it to market unless it is at least competitive with other offerings from existing ADV motorcycles, hmmmm. Can’t wait to ride one rather than speculate.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Luggage looks decent.

Good call on the accesory headlight brush guard. With aux lighting where the obligatory beak would usually be would give it a business looking front end.

[​IMG]
    bobw and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Well, since they are already planning a 500, 975, and 1250 version of the engine the Pan America 'line' could eventually be the 1250 and a smaller version as well (800? 975? 500?). 500 may be too small but a 700-800 would be on target. Somewhere upthread I speculated that there could be a 975 or other smaller version with a chain and the 1250 with a shaft.

Before you laugh too loudly (and I have been told I am smoking stuff already) check out this concept sketch that was published last July (2018):

[​IMG]

That ain't no chain! There was only one showing this but it indicates that the idea is definitely on the table.
    Eatmore Mudd, rauchman and bobw like this.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:

I'm glad all options are being looked at, this model "done right" will be a good indicator of how serious Harley really is about being competitive with conquest sales and all the efforts this whole new (to them) market segment requires.

I have a bunch of miles with chain, belt and shaft FD motorcycles and each option certainly has pros/cons. That said, I would love to see more OEMs explore adding the once upon a time, very common enclosed chain and/or now belt too that "Enduro " models were equipped with. Function as a motivator seems a "no brainer" to me, but then again I want real fenders and gas tanks that carry more than a hundred mile range worth of petrol regardless model. Anyway, I wish Harley and Indian well in this arena as both could offer some great options if they choose to.

Cheers
    Eatmore Mudd and rauchman like this.
  6. buelcati

buelcati Buelcati

Oddometer:
    That's clearly a belt sprocket which would be perfect. They could have a chain kit for the three fools that want it. If it could be changed without having to remove too much stuff so as to be able to replace it on the road, that would be perfect. How about a 3/8 in. wide x 1 1/2 in deep groove around the outside perimeter of the under seat space to neetly carry a spare belt. Now we're talkin. I want one.
    kvango likes this.
  7. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    They show the pan am with a chain starting @ about 1:20

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. buelcati

buelcati Buelcati

Oddometer:
    Yes they show a chain, but notice it's spaced out like maybe there is room for a belt. The street version of the new platform shows a belt. Pretty much the same chassis. Modular. Harley has done it before , at least a couple of times that I know of, show something two ways and see what sells. Money talks and BS walks.
  9. buelcati

buelcati Buelcati

Oddometer:
    If you look at the 124 - 125 minute frames , there is quite a space out to that chain. Looks like plenty of space for a beautiful belt. Come on Harley . Hurry up. I'm old and running out of time. And I want one. What a beautiful bike. Just look at it. You can actually see the "Motor" on that Motorcycle. All those bitching about the fairing should take a look at all the shitty looking adv bikes out there. None are very good looking. Of course this is just my dumb ass opinion. By the way , I love all those shitty looking adv bikes.
    Norsman, dceggert, 916Rider and 2 others like this.
  10. Bbarsh

Bbarsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another look
    Vinz Klortho, dceggert and TNWalker like this.