Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    I owned an HD FLHS back in 90/94; finally gave it up after the owner of the shop told me he wasn't interested in getting or keeping parts in stock for owners who worked on their own bikes; bring 'em to the service department was his response. I'll have to say I'm truly interested in the new Pan Am model and wish HD well but prior experiences at dealers tell me the model WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED at the dealer level. History has a terrible tendency to repeat itself and I fear nothing has changed at your friendly local dealer but hope I'm wrong.
  2. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    Comes complete with riding suit, FUGLY bike
    cyloncenturion03jpg.jpeg
    rauchman, neanderthal, GotFog and 4 others like this.
  3. Zlatni

Zlatni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HD had a great engineer in Eric Buell, and decided to treat him like they did.
    Ulysses should have had a modern engine, (as should have all the xb models), but HD was shortsighted and decided to put their engine development dollars into V-rod.
    They didn’t even let Eric keep the Buell name.
    There will be no HDs in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brtp4 and Farmer Roy like this.
  4. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or begged Erik to come back and save the company, again...

Why why stop with light weights in the class? How about the R1200GS, 1290R, and 1200XC? Heck, I bet this thing will weigh more then a fully decked out Honda Aspencade...

Horrible isn't it? The only profitable part of HD shuttered and shit canned, Buell's patented IP asset stripped, and everything else sold.

Even if this heinous looking thing that looks like it's right out of C. M. Kornbluth's short story was the best ADV bike made, I'd probably avoid it on principle after what they did to Buell, and what Buell did for them...

If this thing had looked something like the Carducci and like it had some engineering or at least a design conceit with purpose, HD might at least have the pulse of a future ADV audience -- as it is it looks like something for the Idiocracy, or Marching Morons... Good luck with that audience HD, it looks like a station wagon from the '60's that had threesome with a cafe racer, and a police bike...
    enzodude and Farmer Roy like this.
  5. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you won't buy a certain brand because of what former leadership that is no longer there did 20 years ago. And you don't find that shortsighted?
    2tallnwide likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never gonna happen. Eric dug himself a grave by offending some of "the family" and they killed him at first opportunity. They even refused to sell Buell to BRP which didn't make any business sense.
  7. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's part of the story I didn't know, but considering the relentless train wreck of unstopable failure at HD, and the ridiculous egos -- I wouldn't be surprised if 'offended' means Erik didn't beg appropriately or wouldn't dress up in a pink tutu and dance...

Fair point if true, but this company has been screwing the proverbial pooch for the last twenty years with reckless abandon, not much evidence they're turning a corner, or there's even rational people running the show...
    neanderthal and Farmer Roy like this.
  8. Zlatni

Zlatni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll put my eggs in the Polaris basket and see what Indian comes up with.

neanderthal likes this.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All trends and products reach a peak and from there it is downhill only.
    This is peak ADV.
    There is nowhere to go but down for the whole ADV market from now on. It is time to start thinking about what the next growth trend in motorcycling is going to be.

To use the Happy Days analogy. The ADV motorcycle as a category has just jumped the shark.
    PlznMySoul and LordZed like this.
  10. Zlatni

Zlatni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1250cc - looks like they’ll just stuff the V-rod engine in there. With that lump it is most likely that it will weigh over 600lbs.

11. Zlatni

Zlatni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree - HD has always been reactionary

12. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't stick my balls in a basket from India, they put pythons and cobras in baskets...
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    It's most likely based on the street 750 design, I think Harley sees that engine and it's offspring as it's future. Plus, the overseas plant is already geared up for it. The US won't be the only country that gets the pan america.

EDIT, upon looking at some vrod pics, there ARE some similarities there also.
  14. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180730_142022.jpg
    How is this not evidence for turning a corner, it's totally outside of their comfort zone of 700 pound cruisers and hopped up sportsters
  15. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    nope, Aerostich and Klim are hard at work on goretex chaps with kevlar fringe!!
    Junglejeff1, Steve W., Nixels and 2 others like this.
  16. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Everyone crying for years on here about getting an american ADV. Well here it is. The same old story on every new bike by every manufacturer. "It will never perform as well as my 30 year old drum brake piece of crap" " "The stripe is the wrong shade of blue." "I would rather adjust my valves every week and rebuild the carb every month then ride something reliable"
    What did you think an american ADV bike would look like? A Euro or Asian one?
    It is definitely different.
    Would it be really that hard to make something in the same weight range as one of the Euro super heavyweights?
    rauchman, tomo8r, djroszina and 6 others like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is less than 10 years ago, those people are still there and yeah f@ck Harley you got it right.
  18. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is that 'evidence' of anything?
    neanderthal likes this.
  19. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    They should have named it the Dirt Glide
  20. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they are going to do an adventure bike, why not do a modified version of their 500 or 750 street series? Smaller and lighter but equally (or more) capable as the larger ones, and they don't cost a bloody fortune initially or when they need repairs. Bigger is not always better.