Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you asked:
    [​IMG]
  2. King_Kong

King_Kong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The headlight looks like the robot from Futurama.
    boatpuller and neanderthal like this.
  3. Hoak

Hoak Long timer

Oddometer:
    That literally made me LOL! But looking at the pictures of the XB12X, and the new Dirt Glide (I won't be able to call it anything else, now or stifle a chuckle), makes me sad for what's become of 'Made In The U.S.A.'...
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  4. TufelHunden

TufelHunden Recovering A-hole

Oddometer:
    This new American ADV looks tragically Russian! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hvymax, neanderthal and Farmer Roy like this.
  5. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% sure the local Harley dealer didn't hire me on as a delivery guy the other day because I ride a GS instead of a $30k monstrosity... as others said don't see that mentality changing any time soon or before the company dies.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

If you read the articles you will see that the engine is a new modular design that will be offered in 1250cc, 975cc and 500cc versions. HD have indicated that a 975cc ADV version will follow the 1250 so it would be safe to assume that yes at some stage there will be a 500cc version as well especially if the BMW 310GS and Kawasaki 400X start grabbing significant market share.
    GreatNorthRider and eakins like this.
  7. K1W1

Oddometer:

Looks like a 1960s Rokon to me. The 2018 Rokon also looks like a 1960s Rokon to me as well.

https://www.rokon.com/bikes/trail-breaker
    Hvymax and Brtp4 like this.
  8. Redoubt

Redoubt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This HD should be awesome. I loved my Buell Ulysses.
    hdxbones likes this.
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo! That's what I would have done. The only big ADV bikes that are selling well seem to be the GS and Multistrada, then the Africa Twin. I don't see too many of the other big Japanese ADV bikes on the road save the occasional S10, same goes for Stelvios, Caponards, etc. I have yet to ever see a Versys 1k on the road and it's a pretty decent touring bike with a wet weight of 530 lbs for a 4 cyl bike.

The market seems to be moving towards a more manageable 800cc size which makes huge sense once you've spent time on a 1200. They do make great touring bikes but actually going off-road.... you better have a few buddies with you to help pull it out of the ditch/rut/whatever.

Given that HD already has a 750 V-twin going I certainly would have used that as a starting point and jump right into where the market is heading instead of where it's been. Everybody wants to knock BMW off the top so they shoot for a 1200 and never really reach their goals. Why HD had to go one further and make it a 1250 ..... ugh... heading the wrong way guys. You'll note from my Sig I have a Stelvio which is a fabulous long distance touring bike. But after picking up my Desert Sled I have to say, 450 lbs of 800cc fun is getting far more seat time on a daily basis.

I'm stoked to see HD actually serious about other markets, it's about friggen time. But of the new bikes I saw presented the Street Fighter seems the most in tune with current trends. If they refine the Dirt Glide giving it a more sleek look (dump that cyborg headlight that makes the bike look heavy) and make sure it's in the 550 lb range at least they might have a chance. If it's $25k forget it, buyers will end up on BMWs or Ducatis at that price as there's more that goes along with the bike than HD can offer in that regard.

I don't know about the dealerships as I've hardly even step foot in one for the most part. But ya, they need to be on board with the new offerings or they will tank for sure if buyers get snubbed from the get go.
    Denizerdem likes this.
  10. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Well, to be fair, that's the XT version, which was lowered and more ST than ADV. (I had one identical to this.)
    rauchman and cyclopathic like this.
  11. K1W1

Oddometer:
    Once again if you read the articles you will see that it is a new modular engine that will be available in 1250cc, 975cc and 500cc sizes and that HD have already said that a 975cc ADV bike will follow the 1250. There is no reason to suggest that a 500cc ADV bike might not follow that if demand is there.
    danketchpel likes this.
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, I caught that in the articles and it's a definite ray of hope.

I still would have started more on the lighter side myself, maybe the 975cc out of the gate, then 1200 and 650 sizes (personal adjustment) to follow.
  13. txndncowboy

txndncowboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the Pan American is like anything else HD, it will be so expensive few can afford it. Both purchase and operational.
    Hoak likes this.
  14. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    yep, it's definitely not a 45 degree vee in those bikes.
  15. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tweaking the styling is the easy part.What strikes me is how LONG the Pan-Am looks in the side view.I would guess the frame/running gear are pretty much finalized at this point. Just hope that gravel road your on doesn't dead end.
    iasen, Hoak and neanderthal like this.
  16. LordZed

LordZed That rug really tied the room together

Oddometer:
    I'm super happy they are doing different bikes. I hope it helps them survive. I do think it will be class competitive, but I also think it will be $27,000.....
    The street bike looks very promising.
    neanderthal likes this.
  17. Extorris

Extorris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I brought my Street Glide to the dealership for a warranty issue they told me they "took it up on the highway to test ride it" and couldn't find any problems. Then I showed them my cell phone pic from when I dropped it off that showed the same mileage on the odometer. :doh
    BywayMan, Hvymax, Jbrjbr21 and 2 others like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Marveling...

Oddometer:
    Harley may be fighting the "Resist" movement too. I read an article on "Jalopnik" and the millennial audience responded to these new bikes by degrading H-D as the company who panders to coal loving, racist, confederate flag flying, '45 lovers. Dozens of demeaning comments linking their political views to the MoCo. I believe H-D has a real image problem with the younger generation.
    Junglejeff1, enzodude and Brtp4 like this.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hence the e bikes
    MadMax and zuma like this.
  20. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the bizarre styling will all make sense when the bike inevitably overheats...

Harley_Pan_America_Pizza.jpg
    g_e_young, Hoak, OConnor and 3 others like this.