1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 to this. Soooo many stories of H-D dealers that just pushed Buell off. Not sure how this bike will be handled since it's an honest-to-god H-D bike with the shield icon but I imagine they'll get tired of the "ADV guys" sniffing around.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Choicecut

Choicecut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for HD being shitheels in regards to Buell sales. When I purchased my X1 Lightning new in '99 (still have it!), they tried to steer me toward a sportster. My X1 had some teething issues being a new model and I was treated like trash getting warranty work completed. It was a terrible experience and I think dealerships were the biggest problem for Buell.

I really hope they don't treat the PA this way. If the reviews are solid, there may be one parked in the garage.
    Traxx, Monkeyshines and gobux like this.
  3. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buell is to the point of ancient history and two ceo's ago. The diehards that wigged out when the new Heritage lost some chrome are a big part of HD's drop in sales of late, last time I saw a local HOG rally on the news was last year and there were maybe a dozen bikes ridden by old folk. And this in Milwaukee, wonder why the magazine name change... HD seems intent on moving on. I'd think sales would stabilize with ADV bikes, it's one segment the new boss prioritized, of various sizes. And a new Sportster.
    Dealership owners are money mongers above all else, twenty grand is twenty grand, and quite a few have changed hands lately. Salesmen in Polo shirts oh my.
    Traxx and mississippimadman like this.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Each dealership is an individualy owned franchise. If a dealership fits a stereotype then that's on them.

The dealerships around Puget Sound aren't the stereotype the haters love to hate. And they are absolutely pumped about the Pan American. They are probably a little tired of me asking "when can I get a test ride?"
    spacely, Monkeyshines, 996DL and 4 others like this.
  5. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons you ended up with H-D dealers like that is that in an effort to incentivize dealers taking on the Buell line, H-D offered increased allotments to dealers that had Buell on the floor. So you ended up with a bunch of stores that took Buell so they could get more Softails and Baggers. They were never really in it to sell the Buells.

Buell owners figured out real fast who these dealers were and avoided them like the plague for service and warranty work. They just didn't care.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    Worth noting that when I rolled into Tucson H-D late on a Saturday with an issue on my 1989 Transalp, they let me work on it under their awning in the back and brought me a soda and some munchies. I was there until 8pm and one of the guys stayed with me until I was going again before he locked up. This was in 2007.

Also, for all the "lifestyle" talk, out on the road, when I've been stuck, usually its a guy on an ElectraGlide that stops to see if I need anything.

YMMV
    spacely, MotoBoss, Hogges and 9 others like this.
  7. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed - when i did an extended x-country US tour the H-D folks were always chatty and friendly at gas stops, and saw more of H-D riders out touring (this was in mid april 2015) than any other manufacturer make. Also, when I see the "what's the best bike to tour across the US on" I say H-D, because every small town has an H-D mechanic for tires/maintenance. :D
    RickS, MotoBoss, Eatmore Mudd and 3 others like this.
  8. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd, gobux and Traxx like this.
  10. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the sudden we start to see more and more news abt this bike...

all hopes are not lost yet...

That front fairing is growing on me...
  11. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd, Norsman and Traxx like this.
  12. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Near there testing facility i think
    Monkeyshines, Eatmore Mudd and Traxx like this.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    YMMV wildly

So back when I had a 76 FLH I called the local stealer about getting a chain. The answer I got from the ditz on the phone?

"Sir Harleys have belts"

At which point I rolled over there with said FLH and showed them the chain, damn near drove it through the front door, and then did a nice smokey 180 and rolled to the local hondayamazuki joint and got a damn 530 chain.

No idea why that had to be hard.

Of course I have been told by a Yamaha dealer that they "didn't do exotics" when I needed fork seals for a Speed Triple.....the service manager of course was riding a 929 WITH THE SAME SHOWA FORK on it.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Triumph Tiger 16K 33 459
    Had similar experiences one time or another at individual dealer's of the big four japanese brands, two european brands and one american brand. I chalk them up to people are people.
  15. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    My Yamaha dealer loaned me his valve shim kit to use on my 89 Taurus SHO. Just had to pay for the shims I used an didn't replace.

Good and bad dealers everywhere. I think because H-D generally has more dealers than everyone else, the bad one pop up more often.
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I really don't get all the hate for the looks of this bike. Considering how ugly most of the competition is, I think the PanAm looks great. I can't wait to see one in person.
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I've always hated the new Multistradas, where's the motor? At least the PanAm has the motor showing.
  18. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    I just hope that windscreen/fairing works really well. Because working really well is the only way to excuse the way it looks. The rest of the bike is pretty enough.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually like the way it looks, more so than many of the other ADV offerings.
    Eatmore Mudd, Norsman and Traxx like this.
  20. Choicecut

Choicecut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, I really like the way it looks too. The fairing/headlight are my favorite thing on the bike. Plus you have a clear view of the motor!:nod