Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since this is the correctly located thread, ADV rider mandatory "Needs to lose at least 100lbs, +20hp AT the same price before I'll buy it."
    semper-guzzi likes this.
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with @BUZZARD II
    This appears to be a chain drive V-Twin ADV bike.
    The bar is the V-Strom 1000 XT at 514#
  3. FrankLord

FrankLord ADVrider

Oddometer:
    I understand you're relating what you read on Jalopnik, so this isn't directed at you, but its more my laughing out loud at what transpired, which is:

Millennials making broad generalizations about a segment of society? Isn't that one of their biggest complaints (among so many others), when they get mass-labeled as lazy, unmotivated, coddled and broke? Suredly in all their faux "experiences over materialism" wisdom, they're not so narrow-minded as to group all Harley riders together as they degrade H-D? In fact, since millennials loathe possessions, wtf are they doing commenting on motorcycles in the first place?
    MadMax, boatpuller, shinyribs and 3 others like this.
  4. MadMike20

MadMike20 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Purchased a new HD Road Glide back in 2004. Has 100,000 miles on it now. Good reliable bike. Reason for purchase was air-cooled, frame mounted fairing with a radio. No other company made this at the time. Sometimes I wished it didn't have the Harley Reputation attached to it: Drinkin', Nasty Tatts, Misogeny, Obnoxiously Loud Pipes, Outlaw nonsense etc... Thing is, the company never did a damn thing to promote anything other than these attributes- or lifestyle as they would like to say. All of a sudden, this stuffs not cool anymore to the next generation. Maybe it never really was.
    Point is, if the Pan America checks off some boxes- it may be another contender for the fleet. Always thought the US should have an ADV bike since we dominate the four wheel category with the Jeep brand. Just hope this turning of the leaf is not too little too late for the Motor Company.
    hdxbones likes this.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've thought about this bike and this effort from Harley and can only come to one observation. This is a horrible idea and a massive waste of money for HD.

It's not a horrible idea because they are trying something different, it's a horrible idea because the motorcycle is so limited in it's audience and such a departure from the only attractions that have made the company successful. So much of HD's sales and attraction are because of image or lifestyle perception. That image or perception is possible on other HD variants like bikes similar to the Ducati Monster and other street bikes but not with this Adv type bike. And getting non-HD owners into an HD dealership (probably many like myself have never been in one) won't be easy. So, HD needs to be able to sell this bike to existing HD owners in addition to the GS, S10 crowd and I don't see enough HD owners being interested to support the product.

The most applicable comparison to a horrible idea that I can come up with is Jeep trying to sell luxury cars. Jeep can (and will) be successful selling a pickup truck because that can easily appeal to their existing customer and, can be regarded as an extension of their model range, but who would buy a $90k Jeep sedan regardless if it is good or not.

HD would have been better off creating another brand for this bike. Gee, if only Buell hadn't been thrown out in the trash.
    Junglejeff1, Hoak and neanderthal like this.
  6. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im sure the BMW engineers are shaking in their lederhosen:jack
  7. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    This needs to have exactly all the bells and whistles the GSA has....specs price etc, and that just to have a fighting chance. Now, in order to sell, it’ll need a completely different dealer network
    :*sip*
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. Hvymax

Hvymax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Total opposite here. I rode up on my KLR and they couldn't get me on bikes to test ride fast enough. My biggest problem is I would need a custom seat with 4" more setback and 2-3" taller to fit almost any motorcycle currently on the market. I was digging on the Breakout till I got to the first turn and wound up running into the other lane when sparks started flying! The big dresser wasn't terrible with their big man seat option but I don't want a big pig I already have a KLR. I've been contemplating a Sportster ala Gingerbeard and John Wesley but again I already have the KLR. If I can make the ergo's work I might need one of these.
  9. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Hvymax, if you really want HD that fits you look to the older FLHTP. That police seat adjusted both up and down and back and forth. It had an air shock to suit any weight. It gave lots of comfortable knee room.
  10. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy there with the generation bashing. The comment on jalopnik actually noted that it was not directed at harley riders, nor generalizing the harley riding population but what the percieved brand itself represents and what it seeks to personify to the millenial generation. Opening new 'urban' stores selling bandanas, tassles and singlets doesnt help this imho. Whether you like it or not, the harley brand has built a very successful image that relates to a very specific demographic. Branding sells bikes, just look at bmw adv bikes these days. This is the big issue that Harley faces and new models alone won't adress this.
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  11. Hvymax

Hvymax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not my kind of ride. I kinda liked the V Maxish Breakout but found it unrideable due to ground clearance. Adventuring out a Sportster has kind of been on my to do list but haven't found the right donor at the right time.
  12. jon4uu

jon4uu n00b

Oddometer:
    Actually, they should be shaking in their "lederhosen". BMW Motorrad sold 13,700 TOTAL motorcycles and scooters in the US last year. Harley sold 147,072 units-all motorcycles and most of those large displacement. Even if the Pan America is a slow seller, they will probably outsell the big GS. Harley is way bigger than most people realize and their dealer network makes all others pale in comparison.
  13. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Pan America wishes...

1. TFT screen
    2. ABS
    3. Traction control
    4. Ride modes
    5. ESA, and automatic preload
    6. Seat, bar riser, foot peg options
    7. Nice OEM panniers
    8. Lighted switch gear
    9. Cruise control
    10. Accessory lights
    11. Heated seat and grips
    12. High payload capacity for gear and pillion

Of course, Harley Davidson sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just don't see why people want traction control, ride modes, etc. Especially on an "Adventure" bike. Nobody NEEDS 200HP on the street, and if said bike had 100HP, which is plenty for street and especially adventure riding then it wouldn't need all the electronic nannies to keep us from killing ourselves. I've owned several bikes with ABS and sure I can appreciate it when it's there, but ABS has not kept me from buying a bike I wanted to own, nor will having all the electronic aids or not keep me from buying a bike.

I think riders are being "dumbed" down by all the aids. If all you ever ride are whiz bang bikes with all the aids and you happen to decide to ride a bike that is just a bike, are you going to have the skill set to ride the bike? And no I don't want to go back to "the good old days", haven't been riding that long (15 years as a returning rider) so all our bikes have been modern.
  15. Vapor_Trails

Vapor_Trails Long timer

Oddometer:
    From this thread I've gleaned that:
    Some guys like motorcycles.
    Other guys only like some motorcycles.
    Still others think that a few sniveling, narrow-minded crumb-crunchers posting on the interwebs are HD's target buyers.
    Fun stuff.

I can say that this time last year I had absolutely no intention, zero, zip, nada of buying another cruiser. I was this ' ' close to buying a Yamaha FZ-10. Until I rode the new Softails. Bought one the next day.
    If HD makes it's future models ride as well in their respective categories as do the new Softails in theirs, I think HD is on to something. I did notice that part of HD's strategy is to put the pressure on the dealers to promote the new direction. I hope it all works. I don't want to see any motorcycle manufacturers fail, especially American ones.
    gobux, Monkeyshines, Hvymax and 2 others like this.
  16. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    I’ve read this in several places now, what’s the deal with the softtails, do tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought those posts were deleated by FB as being forien generated propoganda. Boy are the Russians having fun with some of US.
    MadMax and Redoubt like this.
  18. hdxbones

hdxbones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Ulysses I sold a couple of years ago was hands down the most fun bike I've ever owned. If the MoCo's new foray into the adventure market is all of that and brings a few modern improvements (heat management, cruise control, wheel bearings, touchscreen, chain drive, taller rubber) it will be a winner. I've been waiting for an American v twin with a nationwide dealer network. Take my money now....
    speednut, Redoubt and sperz1 like this.
  19. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This really sucks. I live in Milwaukee and love going to the bike nights and even the Harley Museum. I don't have a Harley, but I do have an Indian Chieftain. It was ok at first, but when HD sales fell and Indian started eating into their market segment, I started getting dirty looks and cold shoulders from the HD crowd. So I started riding my 1200 GS to the bike nights. This was viewed without derision...but now with the Pan Am coming on the scene, now I'll get shunned on my BMW. I guess I'll have to get my '58 Ariel running...
    WIsixfitty and cyclopathic like this.
  20. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the HD bashing is hilarious, I'm glad to see them finally offer at least something in the ADV segment. More choices for the rider the better.