Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    "I’ll send pizza and beer to the entire design and engineering team in Milwaukee if the Pan America comes in under 550 pounds full of gas."

hahahahahahhahahahahahahaa

That dude looks like 700lbs of Milwaukee Iron!!!!

It's a Super Tenere on a high cholesterol/high fat diet!!!!! ....And a DustBuster duck-taped to the front. At least you can clean it up when it gets dirty.

If you zoom in and look real close at one of the pics, it sure looks like they are using belt drive.
    Fat Toney and Hoak like this.
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    .....chain final drive. The thing has spoked wheels and knobbies, not even HD would be stupid enough to put an exposed belt on it...now if they fully enclose the belt, well that would be innovative.
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Um, aren't HD sales going the wrong way, down? And down. And down. And down

Versus BMW who's motorcycle sales are up year over year over year over year over year over year?

HD is heavily reliant on one category of motorcycle (cruisers/ touring bikes,) primarily serving an aging demographic who are rapidly shifting away from that category. And there's a reputation, ... rather, um, ... unsavory if i may say so,around the brand.

BMW has a much wider lineup of motorcycles and scooters, and markets them across the globe. They aren't pigeonholed to a specific category and aren't afraid to try new things. Total sales of BMW Motorrad are inching towards 200000 units.

BMW aint skeered.

HD should be, humbly, emulating BMW. Even though BMW is smaller, the product line is far more diverse.
  4. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad HD's bringing this out. Looks like it has tubeless spoked wheels which is nice. I HOPE they incorporate a WR transmission with a low first and tall 6th, 21" (or no smaller than 19") front wheel, quality suspension with at least 7" travel, 6 gallon tank, and wind tunnel designed bodywork. Not just some styling exercise version of a standard with fat knobby tires and skid plate. If they do it right and reliability is there it'll be a hit.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I understand the access to V-Rod watercool engine was part of it. The family didn't give him access so he went and got Rotax and told about it publicly.. and most of the Buell parts which came from outside of Harley bin. It was probably just a tip of the iceberg he was an outsider to begin with. Truth is we would never know the full story even Eric doesn't know it.

Regardless MoCo is paying dearly for putting all their proverbial eggs into cruiser basket (as they PR back then "focus on core product") and IMHO PanAm is too little too late. Yes average age of HD owner is 66 but avg age of ADV owners isn't that behind at 56. By the time they sort it out and gain share it will be over.
  6. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now realize why this new Harley looks familiar...
    Sturgis_2010_6.jpg
  7. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    But how many of those Harley's did the forks collapse on? Oh yeah, that wasn't Harley...
    JeepDawg likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    There are nearly twice as many Honda dealerships in the US as there are HD dealerships. ~1200 vs. ~700.
    neanderthal and Brtp4 like this.
  9. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great stat, thanks. Do you have / can you post the other brands, including KTM?

Thanks,

BP
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't look up any other makes. Just thought the referenced claim was dubious so checked those manufactures respective websites.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  11. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    all fixed! :super

[​IMG]
    k-moe, zundappuk, Vertical C and 3 others like this.
  13. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im glad Harley is being responsive to what the market wants, with the adventure style bike essentially dominating the market share the last few years in particular. The one thing they just have never been willing to adapt to is price (with the exception of their 500 and 750cc streets). I don't know if its ego, demanding a premium for the name, or if they simply feel that higher price adds perceived value, but there are so many options in this ADV style market that it will have to be very competitive, if not lower than the competition, to get early adopters on board in great numbers. Looking at the bigger engine most common ADV style (so not your KLRs, DRs, DL650,etc)

Vstrom 1000 XT MSRP = $13,299
    Super Tenere MSRP = $15,099
    Africa Twin = $13,499
    Ducati Multistrada 950 = $13,955
    Triumph Tiger 800 - $12,000
    BMW 1200 GS = $19,145

Excluding the higher than the average BMW, the average here is $13,500, including the BMW its $14,506. And this is paying flat MSRP. In my experience with having owned both HD and other brands, the others are much more willing to fluctuate on price than HD.

Just my experience, but i just don't see Harley pricing this below $19-20k. And with a new design, and entering a whole new segment of the market for a brand, starting at the top may not be a great idea. All speculation at this point, so will be real interesting to see where this goes. But the younger markets they are hoping to target are so focused on value, not necessarily brand loyalty, so hopefully they bear that in mind.

Several sites in India has it posted that the anticipated price is 1,400,000 - 1,600,000 rps, which converts to roughly $20,400.00 - $23,400.00
    Fat Toney and JeepDawg like this.
  14. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Son of a gun, that's a good looking motorcycle!
    Fat Toney and Hoak like this.
  15. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's surprising. Are these all motorcycle dealers, or are they powersports - ATVs, PWCs, lawnmowers, generators, etc? I stopped by my new local small town Yamaha dealer for a motorcycle part, only to learn they are just a PWC dealer and can't help on the motorcycles.
  16. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The real question is this: Will this bike have a more modern engine then the industry standard, the KLR 650?
    zuma and Hvymax like this.
  17. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those wheels are right off a bmw, cross spoke, brakes look same too. Photoshopped or borrowed I can't tell.
    neanderthal likes this.
  18. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Errr, that Mk2 650/Mk1 1000 headlight looked like a hideous afterthought then, still looks like a hideous afterthought now. And I own a Versys... I may not like the fairing/headlight design on this prototype right now, but at least it is clearly a Harley Davidson (maybe not the H-D I would have picked, but... :lol3).

Gustavo
    996DL likes this.
  19. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Mike, I am not sure the MS950 or Tiger 800 are a relevant comparison to the larger Pan American. If they come out with that smaller engined version, sure. You should be looking at the prices for a MS1260 and Tiger Explorer 1200.

Did those Indian sources you found say if that was the price in the US or expected price in India? Prices in India for imported bikes are always higher then here due to taxes. Even after the recent tax cuts on imported motorcycles and parts, assembled bikes still pay a 50% tariff (and then add GST and other taxes for their on road price).

Gustavo
  20. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    I remember all the nay-saying on the internet when BMW said they were to build a inline four to rival the Big4. Like, the japanese know this game and their bikes is the pinnacle of the design...
    Then the S1000RR came and totaly bitch-slapped them!
    We may be surprised...
    gobux, Monkeyshines and Peels like this.