Harley-Davidson Pan America Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ken Hooligan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea at this point it is all definitely a guessing game (those indian sources did not specify what it included, and even those are just speculations). You are absolutely right, nothing will be an apple to apples comparison at this point in time for sure. I threw in the "mid range" ones (like the tiger 800, etc) just to show that even a mid range bike would still be potentially $10k less. But even looking at the ones that are closer, like the Africa twin, S10, Vstrom 1000, there still does seem to be a gap between the top Asian bikes and top Harley.

All I can say at this point is I hope Harley realizes the importance of minimizing that gap to help them capture market share in a saturated market with bikes that cost less and have already proven their roadworthiness. I really want them to succeed in this market, as i have owned and really enjoy riding Harleys. But my rational brain will always win out if it comes down to something expensive and unproven vs affordable and tested. I personally feel the BMW is a bit high for what it is too, but don't want to go down that road :)
  2. mndwgz

mndwgz I smoke my own tires

Oddometer:
    Please shop a trike version (for when I am older) /jk
    enzodude likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

I don't know why it would be surprising. It seemed likely, which is why I checked. As to your question, I just got the info from a page on the Honda motorcycle website.

Honda has over 1200 authorized Dealers nationwide. Simply enter your ZIP code, choose how you'd prefer to have your results sorted, and our Dealer Locator will find the closest one.
  4. JasG

JasG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally to me the bike looks worse than the V-strom 1000, but that's just me. In the end I want something that works, my current ride I don't love the looks, but I feel it will work very well for a long time. Harley I wish would put more R and D into long term use. I know a decent number of guys including my dad who is on his 3rd or 4th trike. They either like my dad flip them once the warranty is up, or deal with issues. I can't speak for all of them, but my dad takes very good care of everything he owns. My dad has had issues with every single one of them and he has traded every 2 years or so. I will say this though they have never given him a run around about an issue. Each one was fixed, it just sticks to be stranded somewhere, and/or not have a bike for a couple of weeks.

I do realize my sample size is small, probably 30-40 people where Harley sells thousands of bikes. So maybe I am way off base, but I wouldn't want one just for that reason. I do wish an American company would do better and come up with bike that can hang with the KTM's, Yamaha's and BMW's among others, any one of them could step up ATK, Polaris, Indian, or Harley.
  5. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a chain too me
    Hvymax likes this.
  6. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing HD has going for it with the Trans America... worldwide dealership network. When you travel in various countries on an adventure, one reason why BMW is so popular is the support network. HD has a worldwide network that is huge so I'm thinking that could be a huge advantage on breaking into the adventure market. If they keep the price point close to the BMWs it's going to be interesting on how it effects companies like KTM...
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Key words right there man, market share in a saturated market.

Harleys going full on global style thing with partnerships and whatnot and looking beyond the American market places not saturated.

Emerging economies is what the real target is.
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  8. jon4uu

jon4uu n00b

Oddometer:
    As an owner of a Honda Africa Twin and former owner of several Harley's, I can tell you there is no comparison between those two dealerships. There are very few stand-alone Honda dealers and fewer still that have people working in them that know what the heck they're doing. Harley dealerships are on a completely different level when it comes to product support, parts availability and ownership experience.
    rauchman, FarmerKeith, 996DL and 2 others like this.
  9. camaroz1985

camaroz1985 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first Harley I have wanted to own. Guess that is what they were going for...
    FarmerKeith, Hvymax and Jbrjbr21 like this.
  10. jon4uu

jon4uu n00b

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely right- HD has been reliant on one category. That is why BMW should be concerned, with these announced bikes and new future models, they are moving into BMW's territory. Same as Indian/Victory did to Harley. Ain't competition great?
    Hvymax likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me it sounds more like an act of despare not as thought through strategy. Electric bike, sport bike, ADV etc completely out of HD suburban rebel pirate lifestyle doctrine; let's throw it and see what sticks.
    diabolik37 likes this.
  12. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the US, roughly 2% own motorcycles....of that 2%, last I checked it was 67% Harley and then all the other companies combined made up the rest. No other automotive company can claim that size of market share. Everyone went up in arms mad when they said they were closing down the KC plant and claiming it was downsizing...etc... HD wasn't downsizing, they were expanding. They centralized their American production facilities and then expanded into overseas markets by building bikes overseas for the overseas markets.
    speednut, 996DL, Night Ryder and 2 others like this.
  13. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not desperate, just expanding into markets outside of American borders. The big cruisers are not as popular overseas so they are designing bikes to target those markets.
    996DL and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. staedtler

staedtler Adventure Raider

Oddometer:
    there's a chain going on back there,...

[​IMG]
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Three Honda "dealers" within an hour of me, but only one of them sells bikes. I have one Big Four Japanese dealership that also sells KTM, one independent that sells Beta only, one Euro dealership that sells BMW, Triumph,Ducati and Zero, but not KTM. Then I have three Harley dealerships within the same area .
    KTM265 likes this.
  16. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks like a photo shop to hide the final drive. Look at the angel of the last links...that is damn near a 90 degree going straight up and you can see daylight on the last link closest to the motor.
  17. Garbage Marc

Garbage Marc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If they build it right I’ll buy one. I actually like the looks of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    KTM265 likes this.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. The chain should be leading towards a front sprocket???

[​IMG]
    gobux, Farmer Roy and KTM265 like this.
  19. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    But why just stop there... the whole picture has faults... Look at the rear wheel adjuster or the gap between the exhaust box and the swing arm, the bottom frame hole has a bolt in but it looks on the same level as the alloy skid plate... It is just a picture of parts put together... and not that well either...

I'm not interested in HD what so ever but I still welcome the news of a prototype and I hope it becomes a reality...
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Isn't the whole bike a Photoshop? It doesn't look like a photograph of an actual machine to me. I thought these were just rendering or whatnot
    Farmer Roy likes this.