Harmonizer Vacuum Multi-Tool -- It ain't your Daddy's Twinmax

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Grok, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    IMG_0321.JPG Just like mine Jim.
    In the good safety approved zip lock bag.:thumb
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  2. Grok's Family

Grok's Family Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I apologize some were not able to see the listing, that one has been sold and shipped, I will be posting another one today.
    Thanks for all the support!

Eat your vegetables!
  3. Grok's Family

Grok's Family Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI this auction is going to be shorter, 3 days... so I can ship it out before heading up to Oregon to see the eclipse with the other crazy people!
    ultane likes this.
  4. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zipped up as well- really like the pelican solution
  5. Xclimation

Xclimation n00b

Oddometer:
    Would Love one of the legendary Harmonizers! I'll keep checking here for more to go on auction. But......If one wants to sell one....pm me, please!
  6. Stahlhelm 1

Stahlhelm 1 n00b

Oddometer:
    How are thing's coming along with the electrical engineers in regards to reintroducing a new version of the Harmonizer ?
  7. tpak

tpak Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

jeickerman and MtnRider like this.
  8. Grok's Family

Grok's Family Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Listed one just now :)
    Jhammer likes this.
  9. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    they seem like they are getting a tad pricey these days. they're jumping like a $100 - $150 every time a new batch comes out or am i wrong? is this going to keep going like this or is the price going to settle down at some point?
  10. KnuckleDown

KnuckleDown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it is a supply/demand market but this just seems like gouging. Last set on eBay went for over $300 if I remember correctly.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Respectfully, how is it gouging if a unit is offered on an auction site, and buyers are willing to bid what they feel is a fair price for it?
  12. KnuckleDown

Oddometer:
    Correction, over $400.

Attached Files:

13. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    for me the issue is that her dad had a love of technology and motorcycles and quite obviously a love for this forum. i don't know if he was a bmw guy specifically but he had a reasonable price for a great product for these bikes (i have one). and a lot of the goodwill generated around this product was created by her dad. i didn't know him and i don't know his daughter or her situation. but i fear that a lot of the goodwill (and return sales) and a lot of other aspects on running a good business are going to be lost if this continues. i think i've seen quite a bit of goodwill lost and i for one don't want to recommend the product any more despite raving about it initially to everyone in the bmw world (mechanics, owners etc).

if this is the model moving forward - one or two or three at a time to the highest bidder - i think it is fair to know. there is a lot of goodwill here but i think it is being pushed beyond a point of recovery. IMHO.
    RJB (holland), JCool and JimVonBaden like this.
  14. KnuckleDown

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  15. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, I have to ask - how is it gouging to offer units on an auction site? :ear

I'm aware of the backstory... I have a Harmonizer from one of the latter production runs, bought from Grok when he was still alive. I can imagine the hardships following his death, and certainly don't begrudge his family doing whatever they can to raise funds. Also, I really have no idea on their future plans, which might include selling or licensing the design for others to manufacture and improve.
  16. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    hi andrew.

everyone is going to have their own opinion on this and i assume there is no reason not to voice it. i'll be frank.

the point - at least for me and perhaps others that don't want to speak up - is that there was a model for selling these units at a price that felt somewhat reasonable. i actually passed when they first came out because i couldn't justify spending that kind of coin. they were too much for me to justify given all the other expenses with a new to me bmw. and then i paid $100++ more when the remaining (or second to remaining) units came out. it was a big time stretch financially.

now they are coming out a couple at a time and they are being /auctioned/. first there was a big price jump (were there two separate ones?) and now they are being auctioned. this is just a different model of pricing. it /feels/ like gouging. if you want to get technical you could say that the $100 - $200 pricing jumps on the remaining units was in fact price gouging and that this just feels like gouging.

but the point is that it prices everyone - except the one or two or three people that can afford it - out of getting one.

it feels crappy. it feels crappy in a way that the original effort never did. i personally think it's a problem and thought to bring it up. i don't know his daughter and i don't know the situation. but it is fair to ask if there is going to be another model for sales. is there going to be a partner to help ramp up production to a point where it doesn't have to be auctioned (for whatever reason). are these units going to continue to be sold to the highest bidder?

also, what it the reason for the auction and not putting a price on it? i guess to get the biggest amount of money? seems shortsighted to me.

i mean, i'd almost ask if this is even fair on the vendor forum to have items advertised and then auctioned off to the highest bidder on ebay. it is certainly not permitted in the flea market AFAIK. are there other examples where this is permitted?

i don't have any ill will and quite the contrary. i'd heard that the katdash folks were interested in the product. they seem like fair people. did anything come of it? will anything come of it? does the family need any help (legal, production or otherwise) to get something going?

i may be off base but the katdash stuff has a lot of goodwill. grok harmonizer can continue to be auctioned off on ebay to the highest bidder and it is technically not "gouging". but given the history with the product since the inventor's death it does feel like it and there is a decent track record for people to feel that way.

i'm not down with it which is why i posted. i specifically didn't use the term but i think "gouging" is a fair way to characterize it. if it is due to a hardship it doesn't change the fact. and if i think about it - i'd actually feel MORE comfortable if a very high price was put on it and they were sold for a set price...

peace out,

jon
    JCool likes this.
  17. KnuckleDown

Oddometer:
    Gents, I’m good with providing more explanation. I just have more going on in my life than rapid fire social media retorts. If you need that kind of reply cycle, check CNN or Fox.

I certainly will not articulate the point as well as Jon just did, but I couldn’t agree with him more. Well done Sir.

Andrew, as for my comment, I’m not an economist but in my opinion, this just seems to be a case where supply and demand has crossed some arbitrary line of what is reasonable.

I’m a firm believer in the free market economy and have no ill will towards the family for chasing the dollar. And, if in fact the profit is going to a charity all the better and I applaud the family/seller. I merely stated my opinion. A statemet/response to a posting, no different than anyone else on this forum. If this comment has crossed some line that requires a moderator to weigh in on it, please let me know what faux pas I’ve committed and I will attempt not to duplicate it. Finally, if the term “gouging” has offended you, I apologize.
  18. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The whole ebay thing seems kind of suspect. I suspect a lot of shill bidding, but no way to prove. Kind of strange only one feedback received by the seller out of 5 or 6 or however many sold, and zero feedback left by the seller for any of the buyers. Apparently at the minimum, the "vendor here" doesn't appreciate the fact a $150 item is being sold for $400. Grok should have sold them one by one by high bid from the very first one I guess. :-(
    Can't wait til they are all gone and this "vendor" along with them.
    JCool likes this.
  19. madmountainman

madmountainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill dip in to this one. I have one of Grok's Harmonizers, having been lucky enough to obtain one of the last one's before he died. It's a great bit of kit, sold here at a fair price, when they were generally available. However, IMHO, this new selling structure is a little offensive to the memory of the originator. Yes, selling on eBay isn't breaking any rules, but continuing to promote them on here, without even offering them to the Advrider community at a reasonable price, tarnishes the memory of Grok and his belief of his product and his generosity in sharing that with us. It seems rather lazy as well, as the poster can't even be bothered to include a linky to the auction site. Just my two penneth worth, from over the pond, and glad I have one, as I'm not one of the wealthy elite that can afford to pay the current 'going rate' for this little bit of electronic wizardry.
  20. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I should buy a Touratech or Wunderlich case to store mine in. It’s still in the cardboard box I originally received it in. I’m glad I got one when I did. I got one soon after that short hiatus Grok took when he had a supply chain issue by stalking this thread and trying to buy every time he posted a few were ready. Persistence paid off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.