Harrison Lake to Lillooet Lake

Discussion in 'Canada' started by advtrider, Jun 19, 2006.

1. advtrider

advtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mapsource shows a road through. Anyone been through there?.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havn't been through myself, but the road going up the west side of Harrison has been clear of snow for 1 1/2 months now. Some cool wild hot spring up there as well.
    Check out Duel Sport B.C., they have up to date info on local forest service roads. Be carefull, there's a grizzly up in there, killing/eating black bears. We saw him a month ago up top of the east Harrison road, scared the crap out of us, luckily he ran, he was only 25 ft away when we crested the hill. Big fucker!
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Steve, is bear spray still legal in BC? i have a great respect for grizz, polar bears with dark hair:eek1 I thought they were more east/north.

I thought of camping along the way, hhmmmm thanks for the info.

http://dualsportbc.com/ great site!!! with updates on that route + best ridin on earth. I'll be going next week.
  4. maplebar

maplebar soft, doughy, sweet

Oddometer:
    Bro and I just rode around there a couple weeks ago. Came down the East side from the 99, camped at the Skookumchuck (sp?) Hot Springs for a couple nights (at BCHydro Tower 68.2). The road ends on the East, you have to cross over the bridge to the West side to continue down..60+ miles of dirt/rocks/gravel/mud/tree stumps/small creeks to cross, make sure you have lots of gas. There is a small gas station at Mt. Currie on the North, then another about 10 mi. off the dirt trail to the South.
    Don't have a map in front of me, can't get more specific.

Happy hunting
  5. ofrogg

ofrogg the grey R1200GS frog

Oddometer:
    What would be the advice given to someone that wanted to ride their r12st down to Skookumchuck Hot Springs, go or no go? what's the road like dry, wet? camping ok? crowded during the week at the end of august?

or should I just blast from Vancouver to Golden and not worry about hot springs...?

-owen
  6. maplebar

Oddometer:
    I'd hit Skookumchuck, it's definitely one of the highlights of my trip so far. And you can reach it in an easy day from Golden, with the bonus of an hour of dirt at the end of your ride.
    It will be dry if it hasn't been raining; if it's been raining, it will be wet and muddy. But the potholes are easier to see cuz they're filled with water.
  7. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... let me clarify.

I'd be coming from Vancouver, going to Golden...

hour of dirt bonus? It's an ST not a GS... not really a bonus to me... maybe...

Rain? I'd be screwed on Z6's...
  8. maplebar

Oddometer:
    indeed.
  9. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
  10. ofrogg

Oddometer:
    ARGH! well, i can't imagine that those would be the conditions a traveler in late august would encounter, no? Does august 28 or 29 make it more feasible? I'll be coming from a stag party in Vancouver over the weekend... a soak in the hot springs sounds mighty nice. Do y'all have any other recommendations?
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gosh, you must be talking about the west side road if you are talking about Schookumchuck Hot Springs. The hot springs on the east side are Clear Creek Hot Springs, which are about 4 miles east/northeast off of the FSR, about 25 miles north of Harrison town. You have to enter the west Harrison FSR about 10 miles west of Harrison town, off of Loughheed Hwy at Harrison Mills, at the Sasquatch Inn Hotel.
    As for taking a new pretty ST in there, well,,, I guess. It's kind of dumpy up at the top near Port Douglas, but you could make it. Your bike won't enjoy it much though. In the rain you'll lay it over for sure. In August, it will be stinky hot up in there, you'll get dusted out rather than mudded out.
    You check with the Province of B.C. Chilliwack District FSR reports, and it tells you that the East side right now has a major washout only 5 miles out of Boston Bar [the east side's conclusion from Harrison town]. Just as well we hit a wall of snow 45 miles in, back in early May, as we may not have made it back to Harrison on the fuel we had.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  12. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    ofrogg, a street bike alternate would be the van-pemberton run, go left at pemberton to hot springs,
    http://www3.telus.net/hillwalker/meager.htm

if you havent done it, ride pemberton-lillooet, awesome road. watch the wooden bridges and some gravel as any mtn road.

on the way up here is another in Wa state, near mt baker, but its on the back side, you take off from hiway 20 , not the ski hill side. awesome road ST friendly.
    http://www.nwhotsprings.net/baker.htm
    I was in that one too long 30 yrs ago, read in the paper 2 days later they closed it for high bacteria content, hhhmmm:eek1 , might of been me and a buddy, getting the road grime off.

on your trip beaware if in the area of the merritt hillbilly music fest, lots of people, drunks, traffic, etc... in a small town not made for a lot of people.
  13. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    it used to be if it was labeled on the canister "bear spray" it was cool. it labeled any other ala "pepper" spray, it was no go.

14. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Applicable to 4x4s.

And possibly a BMW with it's jugs sticking out. A friend and I were able to pick our way thru there with no problem. He, on a Touratech GS650 and me, on my XR650L. I would imagine that the 4x4'rs will get up there soon and clear away any of the residual rocks. Too bad:cry
  15. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    customs, i' m not too worried about LE in the sticks. I lived in deep cove for awhile, black bears are like fleas on a dog. not too much to worry about, but grizz .....:eek1

16. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Simple way to keep bears away.

If you are stopped, leave the bike key in the igniton and don't stray from the bike. You see any bears, turn the bike on, hit the horn and ignition and rev the crap outta the bike. It works.

Ya know what?

"Loud pipes do save lives":D

I've been about 40 feet away, staring at a mother and her cub. Just did the above and they both hightailed it thru the bush. Quite funny actually. Bears don't dance around obstacles. They run right over them. The Sierra Club woulda been really pissed off at all the saplings those 2 destroyed:rofl

Air horns work well too.
  17. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind paved, and you're looking for a soak - you can check out Nakusp/Halcion Hotsprings and Ainsworth Hotsprings in the middle of BC and then aim for Golden. Some of the best paved in the province.

You would go Vancouver to Vernon, Vernon to Nakusp (from Vernon on, the ride is great) Nakusp to New Denver, New Denver to Kaslo and down to Ainsworth Hotsprings. Then aim for Golden. Just did it this weekend. Nakusp was closed temporarily for repairs but Halcion up the street was in great shape. Oh and the hotspings have entry fees, but they're clean, showers, etc.
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That road from Kaslo south to, and past Ainsworth is really my favourite in the province. Ill be there in 3 wks for the Laverda Rally.
    Ainsworth is it for me. Those cool caves, the super hot, to the super cold water, once I leave there I feel as though I've ran a marathon!
    Ciao, Steve G.