Has anybody tried adventure rides on an electric Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by IndigoSwann, Dec 2, 2019.

1. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Afternoon all!

Just curious to see if anybody has tried going on an adventure ride with an electric bike? Interested to see if anyone has seen or tried it as The Long Way Up will be commencing soon on the live wires.

I keep thinking maybe you could go for a short burst and charge overnight in a motel? Guess camping is out of the question though.. I like the idea!
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Traxx and IndigoSwann like this.
  3. StormShearon

StormShearon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus one Ford F-350 with a ginormous electric generator in it to charge the Livewires and support trucks.
  4. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the movie comes out, I'm betting it wins an Oscar - in the Theater of the Absurd category.

I'd be very interested to know what the total consumption of gasoline for the trip is, and how that compares to what it would normally take to get two riders on gas bikes and their presumably much smaller support convoy across the same distance.

I'd also like to know many times locals, who know nothing of EVs, are told what the trip is about and respond with some version of, 'That's a lot of equipment you brought along to support two riders. Why didn't you just use gasoline motorcycles?' (All of which will be edited out of course.)

Hmmm. Absurdity is a sublime art form if done right, and this is not that. Is there an Oscar for Most Pointless Project Concept?
  5. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    The closest I have heard is Ben Rich, he takes his Zero all over the states, but I wouldn’t call it adv riding. He does the same with his Tesla. He’s on FB and has some vids on Youtube. Sounds like he has to do a fair amount of planning and waiting around while charging, he seems to be having a great time doing it.
    IndigoSwann and Traxx like this.
  6. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:
    I rode about 115 miles of fire roads each day on a ride. I just charged a bit at lunch and all night at the camp on a 110vac.
    woodsrider-boyd and Traxx like this.
  7. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So not much different than the last one.
    From the "Long Way Round" review
    https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1411383/

The second disappointment is with the event itself. Travel accounts are generally by and about a single traveler. This adventure, however, is more of a traditional expedition. The principals (actors Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor) are not alone on their voyage. They are attended by at least three 4-wheel support vehicles and a huge crew. The plan was for the riders to stay ahead of the crew and rely on them only for assistance at border crossings; but it hardly works out that way, and the motorcyclists rely heavily on the crew vehicles for all kinds of support.
  8. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What bike were you on? Did you have to charge from empty at lunch or just a top off? How was the range effected by fire roads and slower speeds vs paved roads and higher speeds? Did it come out to be about the same as city mileage claims?
  9. jimmy650

Oddometer:
    I was riding a Zero DSR with a power tank. The range is great on fire roads because of the lower speeds, low air drag. I could go 120 miles easy. I topped off at lunch, an extra 10%, mainly for insurance.
    MJSfoto1956 and Traxx like this.
  10. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Whats your thoughts on the Zero DSR? They certinaly seem to be the most on the ball for electric motorcycles.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. jimmy650

Oddometer:
    Of the Zeros I like the DSR best. More upright seating, plenty fast, great range. It's heavy and no dirt bike, but it's really fun on fire roads.
    IndigoSwann and Traxx like this.
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early reports list 5 support vehicles, at least one spare LiveWire and the camera guy is riding a Sportster.
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ewan-and-charleys-new-long-way-up-series-going-electric/

"Also arriving in Buenos Aires alongside the Harleys were two cutting-edge electric pickup trucks manufactured in Illinois by Rivian, a company devoted to building “Electric Adventure Vehicles.” These trucks are said to deliver up to 400 miles on a full charge, while the Harley LiveWire is claimed to provide 146 miles of stop-and-go travel per charge or roughly 95 miles of combined city/highway.

It would be tough enough to travel coast-to-coast on backroads in the U.S. without a struggle to charge up this collection of e-vehicles, so we’re assuming the additional vehicles that landed, two 4×4 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans and a single Ford F350 (V8 6.2), will carry some mobile DC fast chargers as well as crew members, spare parts and the spare bike."
    Traxx likes this.
  13. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Met a family camping in Algonquin park with their Bolt electric car last year, they were charging it at the restrooms. Stay at a campground to charge & you could probably mix campground/wild camping with a little planning.
    The Unofficial Zero wiki has some info on travel- If I'm understanding it you'll get roughly 196 miles per day at 55 mph stock. https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Travel
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Zero website shows 200 mile CITY range with the optional Power Tank.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    I maybe mistaken but with electric vehicles City range means up to 30 mph?
    Traxx likes this.
  16. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the logic as per the link I posted: For a ZF 13 with a 55mph speed you get 98 miles on a charge. One recharge for 196 miles. Two 1 hour 47 min riding sessions with a 3 hour recharge (OEM charge tank for the ZF 13) for a total travel time 6 hours 34 min.

For a current DSR 14.4 with charge tank at 70mph speed:
    Zero says 78 miles at 70 mph. Thats 2.56 charges per 200 miles, roughly 3 hours riding time.
    100% charge with Charge tank= 2.5 hours time or 3.9 hours charging (given a full charge at morning start) for 200 miles.
    So 6.9 hours for 200 miles at 70 mph.
    Traxx and Rollin' like this.