1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody tried adventure rides on an electric Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by IndigoSwann, Dec 2, 2019.

1. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  2. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    voltsxamps, kiwial and Traxx like this.
  3. SolarRider

SolarRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about this since about last December. Based on my research it is doable with a DSR+charge Tank & quick charger; mostly motels, not much camping & sticking to the ≈ 200mi/day legs. I've logged > 32,000mi on my 2016 DSR in 3 ½ years without issues on gravel and pavement and conclude that the bike is quite capable—low center of gravity although the charge tank offsets this to some extend. I see no reason to swap the belt for a chain, but certainly wise to disable the ABS, as it doesn't have an off-road mode.

If you search the web, there isn't much, but I found this http://www.hasslers.net/tat-on-zero/

Would be cool to have a small team of no more than 4 riders and take on the TAT next summer.
    Traxx and woodsrider-boyd like this.
  4. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    woodsrider-boyd likes this.
  5. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two minor points:

I'm no off-roader, but my understanding is that the the preference for chains off-road is the damage inflicted by stones caught in the belt. Can't you fashion or buy a guard to protect against that?

I remember conversations about the Suzuki DL-650 having ABS on all the time. You could simply pull the fuse and it would disable without any unexpected issues. That means you could mount a switch to do the same thing more easily. Anyone tried it on a Zero?
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you can. Heck, even Buell tried that. But because the swing arm moves and little gaps, stones just seem to find their way in. I think for a serious off roader a chain in the way to go. With that said, many belt driven machines have made the trek down some serious off road trips. If they choose the belt option. I think making putting a new belt on crazy easy could alleviate many concerns.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    I've been to a couple ADV rallies driving a RAV4EV with WR250R on hitch. Good compromise & so much easier to pack. If there was a way to charge a bike from the SUV battery & I could find one for nearly the value of the WR250R; I'd make a trade.
    The charging infrastructure isn't there yet. On the VT rally, 2 DC fast chargers were broken & pricing on J1772 stations were stoopid so I wasn't a happy camper. Maybe next time. 20190917_142749.jpg
  8. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought about getting the same hitch carrier for my under 300 pound motorcycle but I didn't think a RAV4 could handle it. Aren't you over weight including the carrier?
  9. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    I believe the RAV4 like most general cars and SUV's have a listed max tongue weight of 350 lbs - so for a motorcycle and hitch you will likely be over that. However, friends who use them say so long as you aren't going too far and don't use it often most can take it. Otherwise you're looking at a commercial van/truck with the next hitch class up which is rated to 1,000 lbs max tongue weight which would cover pretty much any bike.
  10. hevster1

hevster1 The Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    And a whole lot of time and money.